Tipping on Shore Excursions

great08

I am a newbie and don't know exactly what protocal is for tipping in reguards to shore excursions. We will book a couple through the ship and a couple of private tours. I know we should tip on the private tours, but what about the ones through the ship? Is there a rule of thumb as to the amount to tip as well? Thanks in advance for your help!

It's customary to tip and they will genty (sometimes not-so-gently) remind you of that somewhere near the end of the tour. I usually give a 5 or 10 dollar bill depending on how great they were. There have been a few occasions where they received no tip for various reasons.

It doesn't matter whether or not the trip is done through the ship as they are are also private tour operators, they just happen to have a deal with the ship to do tours through them.

So, yes, tipping the shore excursion personnel is customary, but totally up to you.

If you sit towards the back-- you will see that a lot of people do NOT tip,

even though the tour operator mentions that tipping is allowed a few times before everyone gets off the ship.

If the tour is what you expected-- and you had a good time those people should be tipped. (we tip 5.00= 10.00 for both of us - not per person- depending on the tour and the length- ) Mostly our tours have only got 5.00- folded up and handed over with a shake of the hand-- hey dont even look at it and it goes directly in the pocket

I also agree with the other posters. Tipping is personal and you should tip what you feel is appropriate. I have had a few that were just nightmares and I haven't tipped a thing. But for the majority of excursions we tip $5.00 per person - $10/couple. If I think somebody is really great or special or they have done something above and beyond then it's my pleasure to give more.

we tip on shore excursions nearly all the time...the amount is really on a case by case basis...sometimes they are a little forward with their reminders about tipping but overall if they are especially pleasant and we have a good time I will give some amount as a grat

If the "tour" is more than you expected and your guide goes "above and beyond", then tip a little. It's NOT necessary, tho! If you are just being driven somewhere, then what is the tip for?

If the person on the dolphin swim seems to do more than you thought, show your appreciation--but you don't have to.

We cruisers are a "tip-happy" bunch!

Archived