DIY walking tour of valletta and taormina

Taormina is actually a pretty small town and it can easily be done on your own. There are only two streets covered by most walking tour so it almost seems silly to hire a guide. When you enter the city the main street runs straight from the entrance and is where you will find most of the shops, restaurants, and some nice views as you near the far end of the street (perhaps a 1/2 mile stroll). Soon after you enter the town you will pass a small intersection and if you turn to your left you will be on the other important street (much shorter than the main street) which leads to the Amphitheater (I believe its a combination of Greek and Roman). Keep in mind that most of the decent stores do close in the afternoon for a several hour "siesta."

Valletta (and the rest of Malta) is a bit more difficult to do on your own. But, you can walk from the port into the center of Valletta and explore the streets and squares. Than you should take a taxi (or local bus) to the nearby Mdna (old town) section where you can see the interesting buildings, walls, and perhaps enjoy lunch or a drink in a cafe at the top of the walls which affords you a great view of the countryside.

Hank

Thanks so much fo rthe specific information. In Taormina, do you have a must see, must eat at etc... In Valetta, do you recall how much the taxi ride was and how long? Same question what are your musts in Valetta and Mdna if we can get there?

In Taormina the Teatro Greco (Greco-Roman theater) is a "must-see", IMO. The views of Mount Etna framed by the columns of the theater is an incredible not-to-be-missed shot!! Climb to the very top of the seating of the theater for the most incredible views! I believe the admission is €6. there is also a free museum and a church right next to that that were well worth viewing.

I totally agree with Lambs2 regarding the Teatro Greco. Its part of the easy walk through town. We do not know the current taxi fare from the town center to the Mdna in Valleta, but it should be pretty reasonable since its not really a long distance. You will find that English is widely spoken in Valletta (and also in Taormina) and its pretty easy to get information in town (their tourist office will probably have a presence on the pier). If you are curious about the history of Malta (it is quite interesting) there is theater near the center of town operated by their Tourist folks that runs a short movie (about 20 min) called "The Malta Experience" unless they have since changed the name. When we were on Malta, we were shown around the island by a local family we had met on another cruise. The first place they took us was to see that movie so we would have a better understanding of the island and its residents (the place is really a fusion of many cultures).

Hank

Thanks for the info on Valletta, Malta. We will be there in February and were wondering what to do there. You have given us some great ideas! Any idea what the weather will be like there in early February?

Thank you Hank and Lambs2!! I did see pics of the views from the teatro and wow I cant wait. I think I posted this in another thread ( I'm getting very confused with so many ports:eek: ) but Hank, the ship offers 4hr tour of Mdna and Mosta for $45pp but that doesnt leave much time for Valetta, would I be better off seeing Valetta on my own and taking the taxi?

My DW and I do not recall going to Mosta but I do know they have some very historic buildings. The $45 sounds like a pretty good deal for a tour (we hardly ever do tours) for those that like being with a group. I guess your decision would be based on the amount of time you have in the port (its located right in Valletta below the city walls) and how much you like tours. But, a do not miss site in Valletta is St John's Co-Cathedral and it would be nice to have about 3 hours to see the church and Mdna. I know there is a trent (certainly pushed by the cruise lines) to get you to buy tours before you even get on the trip. You might want to delay in this situation and wait until you get on the ship where you can get better info. Its hard to imagine that a simple island tour would be a sell-out since they can always add more buses.

Hank

My DW and I do not recall going to Mosta but I do know they have some very historic buildings. The $45 sounds like a pretty good deal for a tour (we hardly ever do tours) for those that like being with a group. I guess your decision would be based on the amount of time you have in the port (its located right in Valletta below the city walls) and how much you like tours. But, a do not miss site in Valletta is St John's Co-Cathedral and it would be nice to have about 3 hours to see the church and Mdna. I know there is a trent (certainly pushed by the cruise lines) to get you to buy tours before you even get on the trip. You might want to delay in this situation and wait until you get on the ship where you can get better info. Its hard to imagine that a simple island tour would be a sell-out since they can always add more buses.

Hank

though it depends on the how much buses can a small island hold :)

Valletta is within walking distance from the port and there is much to see there! I totally agree with you re St John's Co-Cathedral! Mdina is also very nice .. i love it .. but it is a bit far away and i do not know how much the taxis are .. but you can always get a bus which will end up much cheaper! ;)

I have only been on one other cruise..Disney with the kids and used these boards to do lots on our own rather than with Disney ship tours. It worked out great, I guess I feel more intimidated b/c this is Europe and since I've never been, am nervous. This is a chartered trip with work so the tours offered are a bit different than usual, but again I would love for husband and I to do things on our own if possible.:)

Lee Anne

I If you are curious about the history of Malta (it is quite interesting) there is theater near the center of town operated by their Tourist folks that runs a short movie (about 20 min) called "The Malta Experience" unless they have since changed the name. When we were on Malta, we were shown around the island by a local family we had met on another cruise. The first place they took us was to see that movie so we would have a better understanding of the island and its residents (the place is really a fusion of many cultures).

Hank

The Malta people must be very friendly. I was on a NCL cruise a couple of years ago and we met a lady from Malta. She invited my family to visit her if we have a chance. I will be visiting Malta next year, too bad, we lost her address:(

The Malta people must be very friendly. I was on a NCL cruise a couple of years ago and we met a lady from Malta. She invited my family to visit her if we have a chance. I will be visiting Malta next year, too bad, we lost her address:(

wish you luck! maybe you will meet up with them again!

Archived