Alaska Cruise

Hi All,

I'm trying to get a little info on excursions and ports for an Alaskan Cruise. RCCL Website really isn't all that useful with info about accesibility. I would assume that since its a US State and ADA applies its a pretty good place for someone in a wheelchair.

I'm considering a round trip from Vancouver with stops in Skagway, Juneau, and Icy Strait Point. I'm curious about tendering for Icy Strait Point and excursions for the other two ports. My brother is in a manual wheelchair and can not transfer. He loves animals, so whale watching would very much be of interest to him.

Does anyone have any info or suggestions about what would be good on a cruise like this for us?

Thanks in advance!

I am in a wheelchair and have an Alaskan cruise planned for August 30. I want to do the whale watching thing too, so we booked with Orca Tours (I have the website link at home I'll link it this evening if no one else beats me to it). They have an ADA compliant boat and it sounds like it will be perfect for me and may be a good fit for your brother too. That is in Juneau. I also may do the scenic train in Skagway which is supposed to be wheelchair accessible too... I will link that website too tonight.

Good luck with your trip planning... Cruising is a great trip for someone in a wheelchair, in my experience. :)

I am in a wheelchair and have an Alaskan cruise planned for August 30. I want to do the whale watching thing too, so we booked with Orca Tours (I have the website link at home I'll link it this evening if no one else beats me to it). They have an ADA compliant boat and it sounds like it will be perfect for me and may be a good fit for your brother too. That is in Juneau. I also may do the scenic train in Skagway which is supposed to be wheelchair accessible too... I will link that website too tonight.

Good luck with your trip planning... Cruising is a great trip for someone in a wheelchair, in my experience. :)

I also am in a wheelchair and did the Skagway train in my chair and it was wonderful. Very easy to get the chair onto the train.

Sandi

Here's a link to orca enterprices & Captain Larry's tour boat accessible info

http://www.orcaenterprises.com/1-Our%20Tour.htm

My family did this tour a few years ago and it is great! Get your reservations early.

Also in Juneau is the Mt. Roberts tramway which I think is wheelchair accessible. It's a great view from the top.

I remember Juneau & Skagway being fairly flat areas so hopefully you won't have much problem. Make sure you find out if you're docking in all ports or tendering off. If tendering, find out in advance if they have help available. Have fun!

Just back from Alaska - asa wheelchair user can recommend the White Pass Train in Skagway - completely accessible - even accessible WC!

Juneau - very flat - no transfer needed. Plenty of dropped kerbs - could even get round most of the shops!! Whale watching was said to be very good here! We did the Helicopter here (Promec) and I was told they had a lift into the helicopter - I can trasfer so didn't try it out.

Skagway - again no transfers required - totally flat and really accessible.

Icy Strait Point - don't know how you would manage the tender, however don't worry the wildlife from the ship is amazing - we left half an hour late because there were so many whales in the bay! In our opinion ISP (we didn't take the shuttle to Hoonah) was very disappointing - you can tell it is owned by RCL it has a faintly disney(ish) sanitised air about it AND for goodness sake DON'T take the nature tram!

Hope you have a great time - we did!

from Alaska, and want to add another voice to the chorus for Orca Enterprises, and for the Skagway train trip. The Orca people are the absolute best folks you could ever come across! The museums in Skagway and Juneau (yes, both towns with enough flat territory to occupy a visit) were interesting, not large; the entrance to the Skagway one was a mite squirrelly for K's large scooter, but doable. Ketchikan also has a nice nature center, and Creek Street is accessible, though the shops are not, as I remember. Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau was worth a visit--Orca can take you there.

Kristen and Kathy

Archived