46 members have voted

1. 1. Live aboard the Genesis?

• Sign me up full time
    • Snowbird escape
    • Summer home
    • Maybe once for a month
    • No way
    • Other ideas

With the Genesis offering more ammenities and options and RCCL's plans to increasingly make the "ship the destination" it seems reasonable that more and more people will consider ships as an alternative to a second or retirement home. On our last trip an individual at the C&A party was acknowledged for being on board for being a passenger for over a hundred cruises.

The Residensea has pioneered this concept at the highest end of the market. I see ships like the Genesis possibly making this option more available to a wider audience.

What do you think? Would it matter that the ship's destinations don't change all that much? What extra ammenities would make you consider Genesis your "second home"?

It's not the living aboard that is the problem. It's the ship itself. I'd never set foot on such a behemoth. I cruise to enjoy the sea......if I want Disney, I'll go to Orlando. If I want a park, golf courses and shopping malls, I'll do a land based vacation.

I cruise because I love the sea......

Now, I'd live on the ResidenSea anytime.....right after I win the lottery. Small and intimate...and your own place anytime you want to use it..... That's my idea of heaven.

It's not the living aboard that is the problem. It's the ship itself. .... I cruise because I love the sea......

Now' date=' I'd live on the ResidenSea anytime.....right after I win the lottery. Small and intimate...and your own place anytime you want to use it..... That's my idea of heaven.[/quote']

Genesis will have more items that make it feel like you are living in a real town. Why not live where you love to be - on the sea?

the residence ships are organized a little different than pax ships...while larger ships like Genesis will offer an opportunity to stay aboard longer and see more I dont think you will see many people calling genesis home

Agreed that the residence ships are organized differently with bigger cabins/suites, longer port stays and a simplified onboard lifestyle. I also don't think that the current owners view their shipboard apartment their primary residence. The vast majority are likely to be 2nd, 3rd, or 4th homes.

My own view is that I believe some people will view these cruise ships like vacation homes. Also, others may do the math and figure out that these work as an alternative to a traditional retirement home.

Archived