What to do with extra luggage once we arrive in Sydney.

canadagal

We are arriving by cruise ship March/09 into Sydney Harbour and will be disembarking after a 24 day cruise so we will have more luggage then normal. We want to tour Sydney for a day or two and also fly to Brisbane for a day or two (see the Steve Irwin Zoo) but not sure what to do with all of that extra luggage and which to do first. Don't want to drag all of our luggage to Brisbane but we also have to pick it up from somewhere when we head back to Sydney airport for our flight home to Toronto. Any suggestions?

Pat

Hi - We are in the same "boat". Our plan is to fly to Melbourne and pick up a Caravan for 9 days and drive the Prince's Highway back to Sydney.

There is Luggage Storage at the Sydney Airport. The Sydney Airport website states:

Baggage Storage

If you need to store any items at the airport, Smarte Carte operate a baggage storage service located at the northern end of the arrivals level.

It only specifies prices up to 24 hrs though.

The phone number for the Smarte Carte Luggage Storage is +61 2 9667 0926.

Could someone living in Sydney give them a call for us and ask about storing luggage for 9 days and what the cost would be.

Thanks.

Sandra

Sandra, that's the perfect answer! Thanks so much for the information about the airport storage. I know we could store it at the hotel but I don't want to have to travel to the hotel from the airport upon return from Brisbane just to pick up luggage from the bell captain and then go back to the airport again to fly home. This would make it so much easier. I sure hope they will store it for longer then 24 hours. If you don't mind waiting until Tuesday.....I'll give them a call then and I'll also ask about your storage for 9 days and cost. I can phone from my office and charge it to that on Tuesday....long weekend this weekend.

Pat

Sandra, yes I love CC too. You lucky gal! You live in Victoria.....the lotusland of Canada.......I just love Victoria......oh so British and oh so pretty and temperate climate. Enjoy the holiday......although I think it's termed better in Australia......"Empire Day" Our term....Victoria Day is so out of date.

Pat

We will be arriving in Sydney in October, after a 31 day cruise. Our T.A. booked us into a hotel that will hold our extra luggage during our 8 day rail trip. We are going back to the hotel, for one night prior to the long flight back. We felt, with time differences and flight, that we needed to start the flight well rested. Felt what was the point to have a great relaxing vacation to beat ourselves up on the way back. Just our preference. Ruth

Sandra, yes I love CC too. You lucky gal! You live in Victoria.....the lotusland of Canada.......I just love Victoria......oh so British and oh so pretty and temperate climate. Enjoy the holiday......although I think it's termed better in Australia......"Empire Day" Our term....Victoria Day is so out of date.

Pat

Yes, I must admit, I feel extremely blessed to live here. Never too hot, never too cold. Flowers everywhere. People are so relaxed. No traffic. We are 12 minutes from downtown and live in an area of lakes and trees. Its Heaven.

We can't wait to see Australia, especially the Reef.

Take care,

Sandra

Sandra, I was able to reach the Smarte Carte this morning just before they were closing. She said to store 1 suitcase for 9 days would be $97.20 total. They do give a discount off of the 24 hour rate depending on how long you want to store something. They even have a monthly rate. I also asked and made sure that the storage area was not airside and in a secure place we couldn't get to if coming from the street. It is not airside.

They are not open 24 hours. Their hours of operation are below:

Monday-Sunday 7 days a week

5:30 a.m.-9:00 p.m.

This is just perfect for us! Yippee! problem solved.

Pat

• 7 months later...

Can we drop off 1 suitcase at the smarte carte in the domestic terminal before we fly to Proserpine, and pick it up when we fly back to Sydney. Is it easy to get to departure area from arrivals, after we drop off suitcase? Then we are flying internationally the next day. We are not planning to stay at same hotel for our last night in Sydney, as before our trip to Whitsundays.

You should note that there are 2 domestic terminals at Sydney - T2 houses Virgin Blue, Jetstar and Qantas regional flights (plus some regional operators); T3 is used exclusively by Qantas for intercity flights.

Smarte Cart is at the T2 domestic terminal, located located at the northern end of the arrivals level. The arrivals level is immediately below the departures level and there are both lifts and escalators between the two.

I don't know who the operator is but Qantas has baggage storage facilities in T3 in the arrivals hall next to baggage carousel 5 ... also one level below the departures level.

Cheers

Bob

Is it easy to get to departure area from arrivals, after we drop off suitcase? Then we are flying internationally the next day.
Yes, in both T2 and T3 as bobsydney says. You'll be using T3 if you're flying Qantas domestic to Brisbane to connect to Proserpine from there; you'll be using T2 if you're flying Virgin Blue or Jetstar instead. (The only exception is if you have somehow managed to book yourself onto one of the few Qantas Sydney-Brisbane flights that leaves from the international terminal, in which case it will have a flight number of QF399 or lower.)

However, getting from either of the domestic terminals to the international terminal with luggage is not so easy. So you would be best off collecting the bag when you return to Sydney from Proserpine and taking it with you, and then taking everything to the international terminal the next day.

Archived