Around the Seabourn Water Cooler... Off topic and fun posts here!- Updated

Host Dan

Yes you are right but it does not help a luxury line that needs to keep the standards high,it could possibly ruin a luxury line that has to cut costs to survive.

I think that prices should be higher so that the standards do not slip,but over capacity is going to be the real test and not just for Seabourn,Silversea are also giving their cruises away at present.

Oceania is in a good position now as they are just below the luxury level but with good new ships.

IMHO, Oceania is NOT a luxury brand but a "wanna be brand" positioned in between mass market products such as Princess, HAL and Celebrity and Luxury Lines such as Seabourn and Silver Seas.

IMHO, Oceania is NOT a luxury brand but a "wanna be brand" positioned in between mass market products such as Princess, HAL and Celebrity and Luxury Lines such as Seabourn and Silver Seas.

That's what I said,they are just below the luxury level,but that said Seabourn is by far the best value in the industry with record low fares which, with the all inclusice deal make it much cheaper than the Hal's and celebrity's of this world.

The only problem is that the masses might see these offers and get onboard.:D

There goes the neighborhood..... :eek::eek::eek::eek:

The great unwashed have been sited more frequently at increased numbers and with Wal-Mart pricing it can turn into a stampede.

During the Sojourn world cruise, Seabourn sold small 7/10 day segments within & between Australia and NZ ports in the local market only, as the ship filled up while the service and the character sharply declined. It was discovered that these short-term pax, paid somewhere between $175-$200 per person, with some world cruisers paying double that and more. As word spread and the savvy ones who complained, received hefty refunds and credits.

Edited by NEOPHYTUS
typo

There goes the neighborhood..... :eek::eek::eek::eek:

The great unwashed have been sited more frequently at increased numbers and with Wal-Mart pricing it can turn into a stampede.

During the Sojourn world cruise, Seabourn sold small 7/10 day segments within & between Australia and NZ ports in the local market only, as the ship filled up while the service and the character sharply declined. It was discovered that these short-term pax, paid somewhere between $175-$200 per person, with some world cruisers paying double that and more. As word spread and the savvy ones who complained, received hefty refunds and credits.

We will see more of this I am sure :(

Oceania is in a good position now as they are just below the luxury level but with good new ships.

Based upon the fact I get more weekly solicitations from Oceania than from all the world's credit card and health insurance companies, I strongly suspect O's load factors are in the tank. Walmart has fewer circulars.

Question: What is the tender service like on the big ships? What deck, lots of stairs? On the small ships one walked down outside the lounge and then I could take the service elevator up to 5. I need to know as it makes a difference if I plan an excursion or not.

Thanks.

I was very much looking forward to our first Seabourne cruise, but must admit that reading this thread causes some trepidation. Exactly what constitutes the "unwashed masses"? I am aware that Seabourne is a luxury line....I was not aware that it was an elitist line??

I was very much looking forward to our first Seabourne cruise, but must admit that reading this thread causes some trepidation. Exactly what constitutes the "unwashed masses"? I am aware that Seabourne is a luxury line....I was not aware that it was an elitist line??

Don't worry. For the most part the passengers are lovely, interesting people who have fascinating stories to tell. The ships though small are roomy enough that you can easily avoid the one or two you may feel uncomfortable with. I met people from all walks of life but who all had the ability to be well mannered and intelligent.

Some times it gets a bit silly on here but I find the best way is to sift out the wonderful information imparted and take the rest with a pinch of salt as some play the game of one upmanship. They mean no harm.

Kind regards,

Julie

Question: What is the tender service like on the big ships? What deck, lots of stairs? On the small ships one walked down outside the lounge and then I could take the service elevator up to 5. I need to know as it makes a difference if I plan an excursion or not.

Thanks.

The tenders are easier to reach.... not many steps. However, we find the tenders as such not very comfortable. As a matter of fact, the old ones on the small ships are easier to be seated.

Marja

Thanks, Marja. I want to dine at the restaurant in Bar Harbor, Acadia National Forest that Chairsin recommended and we tender at that port. My mobility has become increasingly hampered. In the triplets, going down is ok, it's the two levels up that are the killer, hence the ability to use the service elevator is a real help.

Don't worry. For the most part the passengers are lovely, interesting people who have fascinating stories to tell. ...... I met people from all walks of life but who all had the ability to be well mannered and intelligent.

Some times it gets a bit silly on here but I find the best way is to sift out the wonderful information imparted and take the rest with a pinch of salt as some play the game of one upmanship. They mean no harm.

Kind regards,

Julie

Well said, Julie. I would rather spend some time with a retired couple who spent their lives doing good and for whom a Seabourn cruise is a once in a lifetime experience, than a Captain of Industry (with trophy wife) who is so self-important that it requires a crane to get his ego on the ship.

[quote name='JaneBP']Thanks, Marja. I want to dine at the restaurant in Bar Harbor, Acadia National Forest that Chairsin recommended and we tender at that port. My mobility has become increasingly hampered. In the triplets, going down is ok, it's the two levels up that are the killer, hence the ability to use the service elevator is a real help.[/quote]
[I][COLOR=darkorchid]I'm sorry to hear that Jane.... I would certainly go for it as you don't have to climb stairs and the crew will be helpful in the tenders.[/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]Have a nice Sunday![/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]Marja[/COLOR][/I]

>" I would rather spend some time with a retired couple who spent their lives doing good and for whom a Seabourn cruise is a once in a lifetime experience, than a Captain of Industry (with trophy wife) who is so self-important that it requires a crane to get his ego on the ship."

But how can you tell them apart until you meet them? I am inferring from your remark that is the type of cruiser who sits at a hosted table. Is that right? If so, I think that is a misunderstanding. I find that the hosted tables are make up of a variety of people who enjoy meeting people and yes, occasionally preferring not to dine alone. Of course, there was the hosted table I attended which included one of the ships engineers and 8 Germans, all of whom knew each other. I was just lucky I had lived for a few years in Germany after college or I would have been sunk. Certainly no captains of industry. JUst a fun way to spend dinner time.

JaneBP:

No, I don't judge people until I get to know them. What I am saying is that just because some people view themselves as above "the unwashed masses" doesn't make them enjoyable to be with.

[quote name='JaneBP']Watch the MOVE video, 1 minute dedicated to travel.

[URL]http://vimeo.com/rickmereki[/URL][/quote]

Thanks fo posting but that was everything I dislike about modern documentary making. Maybe it is my old eyes, but the quick flashing from one scene to another gives me no time to appreciate what I am seeing. Nice mountain scene at the end.:)

[quote name='3418ahl']I was very much looking forward to our first Seabourne cruise, but must admit that reading this thread causes some trepidation. Exactly what constitutes the "unwashed masses"? I am aware that Seabourne is a luxury line....I was not aware that it was an elitist line??[/quote]

Couldn't agree more--who are these SNOBS??? This is my first cruise ever and if I run across the people that have been posting about "unwashed masses" that have gotten a good deal on price as not being worthy to be in the same room with them--it may be a loooooong 7 days.
Surely there are some people that don't think like that on Seabourn--if not my husband and our traveling buddies and myself have made a bad error--but we couldn't figure out any other practical way to go to the Greek Isles other than a cruise.

[quote name='MillieMeter']Couldn't agree more--who are these SNOBS??? This is my first cruise ever and if I run across the people that have been posting about "unwashed masses" that have gotten a good deal on price as not being worthy to be in the same room with them--it may be a loooooong 7 days.
Surely there are some people that don't think like that on Seabourn--if not my husband and our traveling buddies and myself have made a bad error--but we couldn't figure out any other practical way to go to the Greek Isles other than a cruise.[/quote]

Come now...do you always judge by what "someone" says. If you will back up on these posts..you will see that this is not the way it is. I have been on Seabourn for about 12 years...trust me..just like in all places, you meet all kinds. We have thoroughly enjoyed the SB guests, staff, and crew. Yes, there will be the occasional "pain"...but that is life. Go and enjoy your cruise and then come back and tell us what a wonderfl experience it was.;)

[quote name='LaPaloma']Come now...do you always judge by what "someone" says. If you will back up on these posts..you will see that this is not the way it is. I have been on Seabourn for about 12 years...trust me..just like in all places, you meet all kinds. We have thoroughly enjoyed the SB guests, staff, and crew. Yes, there will be the occasional "pain"...but that is life. Go and enjoy your cruise and then come back and tell us what a wonderfl experience it was.;)[/QUOTE]
Totally agree. In my experience (over 200 days on SB) I have only met 1 true "snob". Turned out she was a TA, traveling on a reduced fare and the first time on SB. Go figure!

Host Dan

[quote name='MillieMeter']Couldn't agree more--who are these SNOBS??? This is my first cruise ever and if I run across the people that have been posting about "unwashed masses" that have gotten a good deal on price as not being worthy to be in the same room with them--it may be a loooooong 7 days.
Surely there are some people that don't think like that on Seabourn--if not my husband and our traveling buddies and myself have made a bad error--but we couldn't figure out any other practical way to go to the Greek Isles other than a cruise.[/quote]

Please do not be put off by comments like this. There are a few people who like to think they are high society types----and they can't even spell ! 99 % of the people on Seabourn are delightful and not at all snobbish. People who make comments like this have no class. Go and enjoy a wonderful Seabourn cruise---you wont regret it