Houston /Galveston - hard liquor/wine

Hi all,

Where is the best place to buy wine and liquor on the way

from Houston to Galvestion?? We are renting a car in Houston

the day before we sail and driving to Galveston. Since there arent any

Costcos and I just checked to see if you all have Bevmo(discounted huge liquor store) and you dont. Where should I go to buy hard liquor as well as wine??

Thanks ;)

At the League City exit of I-45, there's a liquor store called Spec's.

Here's the map and address, http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/snf?body=/cgi-bin/showmap&name=League+City&store=16

If they don't have hard liquor, there is a liquor store on 61st in Galveston about halfway down to Seawall on the west side of the road.

Keep in mind there are rather strict laws in Texas concerning liquor sales on Sundays. I can't say for sure, but I didn't think any were open on Sundays.

Hey Sheri!

I asked my cousin who lives in League City what the laws are, and this is what she said "no liquor on Sunday! You can buy beer and wine between noon-6:00pm"

Looks like you will need to get the hard stuff the day before or smuggle it in your luggage from home. You know, like we are going to be doing! :D

Robyn

Ok and thanks for all the replys ; )

I will be in on Saturday.. I will be shopping on Saturday..

Can someone please point me in the right direction ....

I dont want to bring on airplane! I am planning on carrying 3 bottles of

wine and the rest in the suit case.. Thanks for your help..

Don't know how big it is, but there is another Spec's in Galveston at 2711 61st St, Galveston, TX 77551. After you get on Galveston Island, take the 61st St Exit. Turn right at the light onto 61st St and it should be down a ways on your right from the map below.

http://anywho.yellowpages.com/info-SS120863534/Specs-Wine-Spirits-Finer-Foods/maps?back_to=%2Fname%2FGalveston-TX%2FSpecs%3F

Hope this helps!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

You can buy beer and wine only in the grocery stores (like Randalls, Kroger, HEB) from noon to 6 on Sundays, and Mondays-Saturday from 10 AM to 10 PM. You can usually get beer from the gas stations like Tiger marts or Shell stations w/a mart.

No hard liquor sales on Sunday, so Specs will be closed.

If you are shopping on Saturday, Specs will have all your needs - wine, beer and hard liquor.

If you are in driving through Houston on SATURDAY, you may want to go the Downtown Spec's Warehouse. It is an experience - the place covers TWO blocks. The largest selection of wine, beer and liquor ANYWHERE!! The also have deli meats, cheeses, and olive bar. Here is link to a map.

http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/snf?body=/cgi-bin/showmap&Liquor+Warehouse&store=00

BTW, if you are coming into Intercontinetal airport (IAH) you will probably take I-45 south to Galveston and will be going right through downtown.

If you are in driving through Houston on SATURDAY, you may want to go the Downtown Spec's Warehouse. It is an experience - the place covers TWO blocks. The largest selection of wine, beer and liquor ANYWHERE!! The also have deli meats, cheeses, and olive bar. Here is link to a map.

http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/snf?body=/cgi-bin/showmap&Liquor+Warehouse&store=00

BTW, if you are coming into Intercontinetal airport (IAH) you will probably take I-45 south to Galveston and will be going right through downtown.

Don't take I-45 south from IAH. US-59 (Eastex Freeway) is a wider freeway, larger interchanges, etc. so less likely to encounter any congestion problems. Take 59 south to downtown, then switch over to I-45 (Gulf Freeway) at downtown to continue onward to Galveston.

If you want to go to Spec's downtown (which I agree, is awesome!), US-59 also passes right by downtown -- just take any downtown exit.

Don't take I-45 south from IAH. US-59 (Eastex Freeway) is a wider freeway, larger interchanges, etc. so less likely to encounter any congestion problems. Take 59 south to downtown, then switch over to I-45 (Gulf Freeway) at downtown to continue onward to Galveston.

If you want to go to Spec's downtown (which I agree, is awesome!), US-59 also passes right by downtown -- just take any downtown exit.

Agree:)

Archived