Salmon jerky?

WannaCruise08

Okay, I just read about Salmon Jerky--that sounds so weird! My husband laughed at me and thought I was making it up! :p I told him it's true and that we will have to try it on this trip.

This led to a discussion about what other types of "weird" food that might be found in Alaska--no offense, Alaskans--I just mean strange to us! I think I saw someone mention reindeer sausage. Is that for real?

So, I'd love to hear about other unusual food items we may run into. Anything come to mind??

Thanks!!

:)

Try some Indian candy which is rather like salmon jerky but sweeter and not as dry. It is good to chew on while drinking beer.

I don't even want to think of some of the things I chewed on while drinking beer. :o

Here's a picture from Ketchikan if you want ideas.

1424874716_100_1231(Small).jpg.08ea593502fafdc710c7e18428640085.jpg

Okay, I just read about Salmon Jerky--that sounds so weird! My husband laughed at me and thought I was making it up! :p I told him it's true and that we will have to try it on this trip.

This led to a discussion about what other types of "weird" food that might be found in Alaska--no offense, Alaskans--I just mean strange to us! I think I saw someone mention reindeer sausage. Is that for real?

So, I'd love to hear about other unusual food items we may run into. Anything come to mind??

Thanks!!

:)

Yes reindeer sausage is real. Check out what Indian Valley Meats has http://www.indianvalleymeats.com/

We also eat moose and caribou (made into all kinds of things - hot dogs, steaks, roasts). You won't be able to get moose or caribou as it's illegal to sell commercially and there is no such thing as a moose or caribou farm.

Had smoked salmon shark one time.

Now I haven't been fortunate to try some of things out there but have worked with people that have been dealing with the villagers and so we're talking fish head stew and the one that gets me is Eskimo Ice Cream. Basically Crisco with berries in it.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I bought some salmon jerky while visiting the Columbia River Gorge area outside of Portland. To be honest, I thought it was way too salty and fishy tasting. Guess I prefer my salmon smoked without the jerk. :D

Archived