Taxi fare in NYC

Shaw5

Does anyone know about how much a taxi is from Penn station to the docks? Also how hard is it to get a van taxi at the station. We are traveling with a party of 5. Thanks

Does anyone know about how much a taxi is from Penn station to the docks? Also how hard is it to get a van taxi at the station. We are traveling with a party of 5. Thanks
$10.00 or so...its a a couple of mile. With luggage take two cabs. It will be hard to get all 5 of you in one mini-van cab and your luggage(they don't have full size van cabs)...

http://www.nyc.gov/tlc

Hi,

New York City Yellow Cabs only take 4 passengers. Take two cabs, it isn't a long ride. The pier is 12th Avenue & 50th Street and Penn Station is 33th Street and 7th Ave. I live in Manhattan and it shouldn't be more than $10.00. The fare is metered, it doesn't go by zone.

Enjoy.

synet165:)

How about cab fare from Newark airport to the pier? Will there be cabs waiting when we disembark?

about $70.00 including tip and tolls. and they are lined up. It not meter from EWR its zoned into Manhattan. From Manhattn to EWR its meter plus $15.00 plus tolls and tip,...also should be around $70.00 I suggest using a car service from/to EWR its about the same price look at as an example http://www.carmellimo.com

Compared to most big cities NYC taxi fares are very reasonable. Unless you are lucky enough to get mini van taxi cab your best bet would be to get two cabs for the short ten minute or less drive from Penn Station to the Manhattan terminal.. I would be surprised if the cab fare, including tip, is $10/cab.

Important Point: Make sure you leave Penn station on the 8th Avenue side, northeast corner, where there is a cab stand and you will be going directly uptown.

they were terrific at $12 PP OW if you have AMEX Blue or better. Pick up the phone at Ground Transport desk at Newark after claiming all your luggage. Let them know your reservation # & that you are ready to go & in 5 mins they are picking you up. They set a time (11AM for us) at the terminal & they show with name on sign to claim you. Then back to Newark we went.

Compared to most big cities NYC taxi fares are very reasonable. Unless you are lucky enough to get mini van taxi cab your best bet would be to get two cabs for the short ten minute or less drive from Penn Station to the Manhattan terminal.. I would be surprised if the cab fare, including tip, is $10/cab.

Important Point: Make sure you leave Penn station on the 8th Avenue side, northeast corner, where there is a cab stand and you will be going directly uptown.

I wonder how long it would take on a Tues (mid day) to get from Penn Station to the Cruise Terminal. . . Is there much traffic, mid day ?

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I wonder how long it would take on a Tues (mid day) to get from Penn Station to the Cruise Terminal. . . Is there much traffic, mid day ?

Radio

less than 1/2 hour. If there will be a problem it will be near the cruise terminal. 8th avenue is relatively clear and as you go west its shouldn't be too bad...

DISTANCE TO PIER: JFK is 35 miles / 1 hour (based on traffic)

LGA is 30 miles / 1 hour 10 minutes (based on traffic)

EWR is 15 miles / 30 minutes (based on traffic)

TRANSPORTATION: Taxi fare To EWR, $25.00. Taxi fare from JFK and LGA $40.00 (Rates subject to change)

DISTANCE TO PIER: JFK is 35 miles / 1 hour (based on traffic)

LGA is 30 miles / 1 hour 10 minutes (based on traffic)

EWR is 15 miles / 30 minutes (based on traffic)

TRANSPORTATION: Taxi fare To EWR, $25.00. Taxi fare from JFK and LGA $40.00 (Rates subject to change)

LOL these numbers and mileage are wrong. almost laughing so. LGA is 11 mile from the Manhattan Cruise terminal. JFK is about 22 miles. EWR is closet to being correct at 15 miles- but its not the closest that is LGA. The cab fare to EWR is the $70 as I stated. The cab fare from LGA is in the $25-30 range. the set fare(not meter) to and from JFK is $45.00 plus toll and tip.

http://www.nyc.gov.tlc

and you can check the mileage yourself at http://www.mapquest.com

The Manhattan cruise terminals street address is 711 12th avenue New York, NY.

Please don't believe every website and this one is wrong wrong wrong.

what site did you get this from NCL's?...since you didn't credit where you got it from,....

LOL these numbers and mileage are wrong. almost laughing so. LGA is 11 mile from the Manhattan Cruise terminal. JFK is about 22 miles. EWR is closet to being correct at 15 miles- but its not the closest that is LGA. The cab fare to EWR is the $70 as I stated. The cab fare from LGA is in the $25-30 range. the set fare(not meter) to and from JFK is $45.00 plus toll and tip.

www.nyc.gov.tlc

and you can check the mileage yourself at www.mapquest.com

The Manhattan cruise terminals street address is 711 12th avenue New York, NY.

Please don't believe every website and this one is wrong wrong wrong.

what site did you get this from NCL's?...since you didn't credit where you got it from,....

Yep, came from the NCL website. They need to update.

Yep, came from the NCL website. They need to update.

They have been told that before...by me. That's why I knew where they came from. Can you imagine someone from Rochester gets into a EWR cab and when he arrives at the terminal the cabby says that is $60 sir plus tip? It hasn't been $25.00 since EWR opened.

Radio

Folks, first why is all the info about the time/cost fromt the airports? the poster asked about time/cost from Penn Station.

With that said even during the midday it should be a short drive unless there is a big event in town like the President's visit, etc and then all bets are off.

Please, please remember to leave Penn Station on the 8th Avenue side. It will be so much faster, cheaper and convenient.

Are you riding the train into NYC on the same day as your cruise?

From which station are you leaving from?

I am concerned that because of the problems that Amtrak has staying on schedule it could put you into a bind.

No I was concerned about that too. We are going up the day before. Leaving here in Newport News Va and then arriving in PENN.

No I was concerned about that too. We are going up the day before. Leaving here in Newport News Va and then arriving in PENN.

Thats a great idea!

I do take AMTRAK from here in Newport News only if I am not in a hurry. If I am then its the non stop from Patrick Henry on Airtran to LaGuardia.

It is not unusual for the train to be several hours behind schedule because of the fact AMTRAK must yield to the freight traffic. :(

Enjoy your cruise.

Thats a great idea!

I do take AMTRAK from here in Newport News only if I am not in a hurry. If I am then its the non stop from Patrick Henry on Airtran to LaGuardia.

It is not unusual for the train to be several hours behind schedule because of the fact AMTRAK must yield to the freight traffic. :(

Enjoy your cruise.

Actually, the freight trains are supposed to yield to AMTRAK, but that's not the usually the way it goes.

The only tracks owned by AMTRAK is the Northeast Corridor from Washington D.C. to New York City, and parts up to Boston. Although some of the tracks from New York City to Boston is owned by local commuter lines, where passenger trains get prefer treatment.

AMTRAK pays a very very small usage fees to the freight railroads across the country to use their track. 30 years ago, the freight rails were mostly empty, but with the increased mergers since the mids 1980's with the abolishment of the ICC, and more and more parallel route track being abandoned, the main lines AMTRAK runs on are very crowded today. 30 years ago, it didn't cost the freight railroads much money to allow an additional train a day on their tracks, but today it does. Therefore, pushing AMTRAK to sidings to wait for freight trains is very common.

But, it's supposed to be the other way around.......

Thanks everyone. We are taking our first train ride to take our first taxi ride to take our first cruise. All new to us.

How much for tipping though? :)

I agree with the others - it will be about 10 bucks, tip included I believe. Just remember to tell them which pier you're going to...remember there are piers in Brooklyn as well. Tell the driver, if he asks, it's the piers over on 10th Avenue, up by 50th street. And you will need to take two cabs - so that will be about 20 bucks total for both.

One small piece of advice...go to the taxi stand on 30th Street - there are taxi stands on 7th Ave, 8th Avenue and one on 30th Street between 7th and 8th. That's the one you want to go to. When you get off the train, ask one of the cops (they're all over) how to get to that taxi stand - it's easier and less crowded getting cabs on 30th rather than 7th or 8th Avenue. And if you do end up on 7th or 8th - no big deal...just get your cabs, tell the driver you're heading to the pier on 10th Avenue by 50th and you'll get there just fine. It should take, at the most 10 minutes.

One time a driver asked us "which pier?" We just told him to head on up and we'll see the ship - there aren't that many berths up there and believe me...you'll see the ship!

I just remembered that some cruisers we sailed with out of NY were from Baltimore. They also came up to NY on the train and received a discounted train fare because they were going on a cruise. I don't know if that's still in effect but it might be worth a look see.

• 2 weeks later...

I had that problem with the MARC train when we lived in WV; I stayed overnight a couple times since I'd get in late to NW DC. I love leaving on Airtran from Patrick Henry and if my company doesn't pay for the first class I'm happy to pay for it myself.

Thats a great idea!

Enjoy your cruise.

We got it but only for the trip up; the trip back on Sunday the 22nd was booked up.

I just remembered that some cruisers we sailed with out of NY were from Baltimore. They also came up to NY on the train and received a discounted train fare because they were going on a cruise. I don't know if that's still in effect but it might be worth a look see.

I wrote down the 8th Avenue note on the paper I have for our hotel slip - thanks for all the extra information we're going to stay Saturday night and leave Sunday; it looks like two cabs will just be more convenient and less expensive than arranging for a shuttle/van for the five of us.

Archived