seward hiking

katolb90

Hi all. Anyone know of any companies that do group day hiking tours in Seward area? I am not part of a group, I want to join a group tour. I also would be interested in any other well-used trails where I wouldn't be alone. Thanks

You can hike at Exit Glacier (and all the way to Harding Ice field) or hike to Lost Lake. Lost Lake I hear is popular so you shouldn't be alone. The park rangers do tours at Exit Glacier, I believe, so do a Google search for that and see what you come up with.

Mt. Marathon is a possibility for a hike, but it's been a while since I've done it, so don't know how busy it is.

Have you checked to see if there is a roll call for your cruise? If so, there might be others that would like to hike with you.

I'm an avid hiker living here in Seward. When are you coming? Most of the trails are still covered with snow at this point, so if you are coming early in the season, you might be hiking on snow.

There are a few trails right here in town. Mt. Marathon is a really fun hike. The race trail is very challenging, so only attempt that trail if you are really up for a steep climb. Coming down in the scree is so much fun that it makes it worth the climb.

There is another way up Mt. Marathon, on the Jeep Trail, which is on First Avenue. The first part is pretty steep, but then you get to the bench on the mountain which will lead to the Bowl, which is a beautiful Alpine valley. There are usually quite a few people hiking on this trail.

Tonsina is another favorite hike of mine, and is the first part of the hike to Caines Head. You start through a beautiful lush rainforest, and end up on a beach. It's only about 1.5 miles each way. The hike all the way to Caines Head can only be done at low tide, so you would have to go out and return on the low tide.

The Harding Icefield hike at Exit Glacier is another of thow incredible hikes that will knock your socks off. Since it's National Park, I can't take my dog with me, so I don't do that one every year (and even then, I have to lie to my dog about where I'm going). There are always lots of people on that trail. It's a pretty strenuous climb, about 9 miles round-trip from the parking lot. I've often seen black bears along that trail.

If you have a car, there are a number of other trails within a reasonable drive, including Ptarmatin (about 3.5 miles each way to a beautiful lake, without very much elevation gain). Lost Lake is another favorite, but to get to the lake, you would be doing about 16 miles. Carter/Cresent Lake is at mile 35, and gains about 1000 foot pretty quickly, then follows a nice valley. The wildflowers are just amazing.

Here is a link with trial descriptions: http://www.akhs.atfreeweb.com/index.htm

As far as I know, there are no guided hikes here, except for Exit Glacier Guides, which take folks onto the glacier. Here is their link: http://www.exitglacierguides.com/

I love hiking with others, and usually hike whenever I'm not working. I am always up for a hike. If you are interested, let me know when you will be here and I can check my schedule.

LINDA

Linda - thanks for that detail description. We will be there next week (one week from today!!) - and wanted to hike at Exit Glacier. Probably not the entire Harding Icefield trail, but some of it. If the trail still has snow, will it create a problem?

Cajun, I just heard from a friend that the road to Exit Glacier is still under 3 feet of snow at the park entrance. They are going to try to get it plowed by next week, but this week, anyway, you would still need snowshoes.

If you can't make that trail, and you want a nice hike, try to do the Tonsina Hike. It's so pretty, and easy also. On Monday there wasn't too much snow, and by next week it should be clear. You would need to take a taxi, it's about a few miles past the SeaLife Center, or if you let me know when you will be here, I might be up for a hike also!

Linda - thanks for that detail description. We will be there next week (one week from today!!) - and wanted to hike at Exit Glacier. Probably not the entire Harding Icefield trail, but some of it. If the trail still has snow, will it create a problem?

The Harding Icefield trail is really cool! The Park Service typically will mark it if it is under snow, but I doubt that will happen by next week.

Anything that goes up will be still under lots of snow right now. If you are okay with hiking in the snow, Mt. Alice is a local favorite. Not quite as steep as Mt. Marathon, and locals go up all winter to snowboard in the bowl. I look at it all day long from my office!

Linda - Great post; thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

I hiked Harding last year and it's the greatest hike I've ever done. I'm planning to do it again on 6/31 and hopeful the snow won't be too much of an obstacle.

Linda - Great post; thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

I hiked Harding last year and it's the greatest hike I've ever done. I'm planning to do it again on 6/31 and hopeful the snow won't be too much of an obstacle.

The Harding is amazing. The trail itself it very scenic, then when you get to the top, you look down upon the Harding Icefield and get blown away! I'm so lucky that I live here, so I'll only do the hike on a nice sunny days. I always start singing "The hills are alive!"

We had a lot of snow this winter, so I can't imagine that the trail will be free of snow at the higher elevation by late June even. But you should be fine, because the Park Service will put markers to follow where there is snow. They just might not be up by next week.

By the way, what kind of time warp are you in that you will be here on June 31??????

I just spoke with the National Park Service here, and got the scoop.

We got so much snow this year, that they haven't plowed all the way through to the visitor areas yet. To complicate things, they contract to the State to do the plowing, and the State plow is broken right now. They have no idea when it will be fixed! They were originally shooting to open this weekend, but really can't say at this point if it will be open by next weekend.

In the meantime, you can drive most of the way there, but would have to walk a bit (sounds like maybe 1/2 mile or so). Folks going out right now are using snowshoes to get out there.

I tried to call the shuttle company, and got a recording saying that they are starting shuttle service this weekend.

If you want to check back next week, I'll get the current status for you. A friend of mine has a Kayak Company, and he has been renting out snowshoes if that ends up as your option.

By the way, today was the day that I was finally able to get to my summer tires. I store them in my back yard, and I couldn't access them because of the snow. I still have several 3-foot-high piles of snow in my back yard, and still can't get to my propane tank so that I can use my oven (we don't have gas here, so we have to use propane or electric). I've been in this house for 10 years, and this is the most snow that we've had.

Thank you for that info. Would you mind sharing your e-mail address with me? We will be arriving on Thursday of next week. Even if we can't get to Exit Glacier, I'd like opinions and guidance of where we can go depending on the snow conditions.

kaguilbeau at yahoo dot com

Thanks - Kim

Cajun:

I just sent you an email, so feel free to email me any time.

Will you be here for a few days? Will you have a car? I'm hoping to hit a few hiking trails this weekend, so will be able to give a update.

You can park and walk out to Exit Glacier. Just add 2 miles each way for the road being closed. You don't need snowshoes. Some areas are deep and mushy but there's been lots of people out there already. This is the latest in May I've seen that the road and trail haven't been cleared of snow yet. You can get out there by taxi.

With the trail or road "deep & mushy" - I don't think tennis shoes would work very well! People are probably using hiking boots in that kind of condition. We won't have a car and had planned on using the shuttle. I guess there will be someplace we can stop to get information when we're there next week.

You can park and walk out to Exit Glacier. Just add 2 miles each way for the road being closed. You don't need snowshoes. Some areas are deep and mushy but there's been lots of people out there already. This is the latest in May I've seen that the road and trail haven't been cleared of snow yet. You can get out there by taxi.

Those are country miles. If you aren't used to walking in such conditions it will seem like a long, long walk!

Your going to need some kind of waterproof and warm footwear. The added 2 miles isn't all that bad, just add an hour to your time out there. It's a flat road with the glacier in view as you head there. The snow has been melting fast and by next week there will be alot less. You can check with the park rangers next to the Peking restaurant or in the small boat harbor at the Kenai Fjords vistor center. I "heard" the shuttle will be starting June 1st.

Well this thread really got going over the weekend. Thats what I get for using the internet at work. I'll be in Seward June 9-11 LML. Thanks all for the advice. I'm leaving this Thursday for Vancouver.

Archived