Bringing Soft Drinks Onboard??

amybugg

Hi all!! Quick question.....a read a thread about taking soft drinks with you when you board. I am going to Alaska in July on the Oosterdam and I would like to take at least a 12-pack of sodas with me. Can I just carry them on in plain site when I board, or do they have to be packed away in my luggage? I'd hate to try to board with something only to have it taken away.

Thanks!!

Hi Amybugg, and welcome to the HAL board. You may carry soft drinks and/ or wine onboard in just about any manner. You can tag it and send it through with your luggage, you can pack it or you can just carry it on. We usually find it easier to stick the 12 pack wrapped in those biiiig beach baggies in our luggage. We find it easier than trying to juggle one more thing in our hands. Plus that leaves room going home for the goodies we collect in the ports.

We just completed a 15-day Hawaii Circle cruise. We take one of those luggage carts and just stack the 12-packs on it. The only comments we have ever received are from fellow passengers who say they didn't know you could do that.

On our 10 day in March my husband and I took 4 12 packs and a pack of bottled water on with us. We just strapped it on our luggage carrier and rolled it on with us. No one said anything except for the few passengers that commented on wishing they had thought to do that. :D It saves a lot of money bringing your own with you and you can take it to dinner if you like having a soda with dinner, like I do. Oh and heres a tip, tell your cabin steward to remove all the sodas and stuff from your fridge (if you have one) so you can put your sodas in and always have one thats cold. ;)

you want on board. soda, water, beer, wine, liquor and your mother in law.Just pack the booze in checked bag.(unless the checked bag is your MIL)

It against HAL rules to bring hard liquor on board their ships. It cuts into one of their main revenues and hurts all of us in the end.

It against HAL rules to bring hard liquor on board their ships. It cuts into one of their main revenues and hurts all of us in the end.

Ditto beer (for some unknown reason). Only wine (including sparkling wine and champagne) and non-alcoholic drinks may be brought on board under HAL's rules. Be grateful for the unlimited wine and soft drink rules, which are much more generous than most other lines, and please play by the rules on beer and hard liquor - otherwise HAL may change ALL the rules to our disadvantage.

Both times we cruised to Alaska, we bought can sodas in Juneau (our first port stop). Several of the stores have them and they are not all that expensive. That way you do not have to transport them in your luggage thru the airlines.

There are not any stores to purchase soda close to the port.

Oh and heres a tip, tell your cabin steward to remove all the sodas and stuff from your fridge (if you have one) so you can put your sodas in and always have one thats cold. ;)

:eek: Are you sure we can do that in HAL? The 1st time I cruise with other line and my cabin steward told me he is not allow to do that?

I learn something. It helps :D. Thanks a lot ;)

:eek: Are you sure we can do that in HAL? The 1st time I cruise with other line and my cabin steward told me he is not allow to do that?

On our recent Maasdam cruise, I emptied the fridge myself and put the contents on the shelf over the desk. On the final evening, I simply repacked the fridge with the HAL wine, beer and spirits. No problem.

and put everything in a laundry bag under the bed. Unfortunately the fridge didn't get very cold. Regarding my earlier post I am more concerned with my bottom line than HALs as well as my convenience. Most posters seem to agree regarding bringing liquor on board but those who wish to follow the rules please do so.

And never drive over the speed limit!

Yep. When we were getting ready for dinner the first night, we left a note to our room steward to please remove the contents of the fridge. When we came back later that evening, the fridge was cleaned out and the small bottles of liqure on the shelf was also removed. He only left 2 wine glasses. I wouldn't have thought of asking except we read on this forum that you could ask and they would do it. :D

Yep. When we were getting ready for dinner the first night, we left a note to our room steward to please remove the contents of the fridge. When we came back later that evening, the fridge was cleaned out and the small bottles of liqure on the shelf was also removed. He only left 2 wine glasses. I wouldn't have thought of asking except we read on this forum that you could ask and they would do it. :D

Isn't HAL room service Fantastic!!! :D

Yes, you can, no problem.

Hello All:

Can anyone confirm the detail about bringing wine on from each Port you visit.

I contacted HAL directly via e-mail and was told no, only at embarkation.

I was hoping to pick up bottles in each of my ports on my Mediterranean (sp?) cruise instead of walking on with a case in Rome.

Thanks,

Matt

Can anyone confirm the detail about bringing wine on from each Port you visit.

I contacted HAL directly via e-mail and was told no, only at embarkation.

To call HAL/Seattle "clueless" may be a tad of an overstatement. Then again, maybe not. :rolleyes:

You are allowed to bring aboard as much wine, champagne, soda, and water as you like. You may do this at any, or all, ports.

It is against HAL rules to bring aboard hard liquor or beer at any port at all.

To call HAL/Seattle "clueless" may be a tad of an overstatement. Then again, maybe not. :rolleyes:

You are allowed to bring aboard as much wine, champagne, soda, and water as you like. You may do this at any, or all, ports.

It is against HAL rules to bring aboard hard liquor or beer at any port at all.

Acually, we did both. We bought Arubian beer in Aruba and Curacao in Curacao. We also purchased a bottle of Sheridans from the on board store. What they did in the ports was when we came back on board they had a table set up requesting you turn over any beer or liqure purchased on the island and the last night of the cruise it was brought to your cabin for disembarkation. The bottle of Sheridans that was bought, was also kept until the last night of the cruise. So you can buy it, they just ask for you to give it to them until the end of the cruise. Some folks re-boarded early before the table was set up and they just took it to their room. I have to admit, we fell under this category. We walked on with it in a bag, sent it through security and the xray, and up to our cabin. BUT seeing as how these were gifts for others at home, we did not open it on board. If asked, we would have happily turned it over to them to keep. ;)

Acually, we did both. We bought Arubian beer in Aruba and Curacao in Curacao. We also purchased a bottle of Sheridans from the on board store. What they did in the ports was when we came back on board they had a table set up requesting you turn over any beer or liqure purchased on the island and the last night of the cruise it was brought to your cabin for disembarkation.

You're right, of course. I should have given a more complete answer.

And note I didn't say one cannot bring liquor on board, I said it was against the rules. ;) I know someone will come along to say they smuggled liquor on (which comes under the heading of "can" bring it on board :rolleyes:).

You're right, of course. I should have given a more complete answer.

And note I didn't say one cannot bring liquor on board, I said it was against the rules. ;) I know someone will come along to say they smuggled liquor on (which comes under the heading of "can" bring it on board :rolleyes:).

No, I know your right. Folks come up with creative ideas for sneaking stuff on. I know of people that carefully opened the end of a coke box and replaced the cokes with cans of beer and glued it back down. They weren't sailing HAL, but a different line. I have heard of folks emptying mouth wash containers and replacing it with liquor. Again not on HAL, but it shows the imagination people put into it. We didn't realize they were taking the liquor up bought on shore because like I said, we came back pretty early and they just hadn't set it up yet. Does that make us "smugglers"? :eek: :D ;)

Okay, I am new with Hal.

Why would anyone want to bring their own soda on board?

Is Hal's selection very limited?

I mean carting a 12 pack of soda, or someone mentioned a case of soda, around the world, is not my kind of vacation.

Okay, I am new with Hal.

Why would anyone want to bring their own soda on board?

Is Hal's selection very limited?

I mean carting a 12 pack of soda, or someone mentioned a case of soda, around the world, is not my kind of vacation.

If you are a soda drinker then it is worth bring your own. The cost (the best I can) tell is $2 a can or you can buy a soda punch card (only a certain number of punches) and get a glass of stall coke. If you are not a soda drinker then you wouldn't want to.

Archived