Best veranda staterooms???

darrencantwait

Hi here -- I skimmed through the posts for Azamara (can't believe there are only 3 pages of posts) to look for any threads regarding cabin selection. I didn't see anything regarding any balcony cabins being better/roomier than others. Looking at the deck plans, the layout does look pretty straightfoward. I'm used to the Celebrity Millennium class ships that have little jewels hidden here and there.

Does anybody have any comments on any balcony cabins that might have advantages over others? I'm starting to do some very preliminary planning for an Asia cruise for March 2010. Haven't completely decided between the South Asia Singapore/HOng Kong itineraries and the East Asia China/Korea/Japan itineraries. That is, assuming Azamara will still be doing these, or even still be in business.

Thanks in advance for any tips you might have.

Hi here -- I skimmed through the posts for Azamara (can't believe there are only 3 pages of posts) to look for any threads regarding cabin selection. I didn't see anything regarding any balcony cabins being better/roomier than others. Looking at the deck plans, the layout does look pretty straightfoward. I'm used to the Celebrity Millennium class ships that have little jewels hidden here and there.

Does anybody have any comments on any balcony cabins that might have advantages over others? I'm starting to do some very preliminary planning for an Asia cruise for March 2010. Haven't completely decided between the South Asia Singapore/HOng Kong itineraries and the East Asia China/Korea/Japan itineraries. That is, assuming Azamara will still be doing these, or even still be in business.

Thanks in advance for any tips you might have.

Hi Darren !

How are you ? I hope all is well !

If I were to book Azamara right now, I would probably want to focus on Deck 7 near the mid or aft elevators. We were on Deck 8, but many of those cabins are Sky Suites.

The only thing is, I have no idea if Azamara will be sailing those itineraries in 2010. I see no reason to believe that Azamara wont be around in 2010, but I am very curious to see where they will be sailing.

Darren -

Unlike Host Andy, I would sail only in either 6090 or 6093. Both are B1 cabins aft, overlooking the wake. There is nothing extraordinary about the cabins, but the balconies are wonderful, about 9 x 9 feet. While underway you have no wind to speak of back there. For us it's the only choice, YMMV.

1508607706_QuestBalconyView.jpg.1d40517323f658ac5952c084a76c91ec.jpg

Darren -

Unlike Host Andy, I would sail only in either 6090 or 6093. Both are B1 cabins aft, overlooking the wake. There is nothing extraordinary about the cabins, but the balconies are wonderful, about 9 x 9 feet. While underway you have no wind to speak of back there. For us it's the only choice, YMMV.

Thank you for the photo. I notice that the furniture appears to be very spare, with no cushions. Is that correct?

Thanks for everybody's replies. Basically what I suspected so far.

Andy -- I guess I had just finished reading a thread about people's opinions on the future of Azamara (with the rumor that they cancelled newbuilds). If Azamara doesn't end up continuing an Asia itinerary, I guess I'll finally have a good reason to give HAL a try.

Ask4Jay -- thanks for the photo of the aft balcony. Good to know the balconies are bigger. I'll keep that in mind. I've got my very first aft balcony book on Solstice for next March. I'll see how I like it.

The aft balconies on deck 6 are the largest of the 3 decks..6090 and 6093...

Jancruz1

Hi Jan !

Havent others reported the aft balconies have a fair amount of dirt out there ? I presume it is from the smokestack. I have heard this happens on all of the R-Class ships, not only on Azamara.

If this is the case, even if the balcony is larger, what is the big deal about those 2 cabins ? I think I would prefer mid-ship over those cabins.

Ocean&Rivers -

You are indeed correct. What you see is what you get. Bring your own cushions, either your built-in ones or off the sofa.

Darren -

You'll be hooked on the aft balcony after the Solstice.

Host Andy -

The only soot we have ever encountered was on Norwegian Sun, not on the Quest or Regatta. It wasn't much, just a few flakes first thing in the morning. A wet wash cloth took care of it. A short hand-washing in the sink, and the cloth was good as new.

What's the big deal? Depends on what kind of a cruiser you are / one is. We cruise to be on a ship - on the ocean. The ship is our destination, the smaller the better. Did our flying around (long weekend trips) when I worked for an airline, which was interesting but very exhausting. Now we want to relax -without piped-in music. What can be nicer than sitting on your own balcony, either bundled up or in your swim trunks and enjoying the fresh air and looking at the wake, without wind? Music of your choice from your iPod and a glass or two of sherry = heaven. Food is incidental, don't care about entertainment either. And at the stern you have more motion when it gets bumpy. Last November we had a wonderful ride for two days on the Regatta, 60 kn winds and 25-30 ft waves, according to the captain. Best crossing we've had yet. We love those balconies. YMMV.

1076051610_FLASunset-1s.jpg.4f7c37e673be0bdd383cadd1ce92d648.jpg

Hello...

We were on deck 8 in either 8090 or 8093 (don't remember) in early February for a Canal crossing. The deck was smaller than those on deck 6, but seemed the same size as an average balcony cabin. For me, the advantage was the view of the wake, the quiet, and the ability to see both sides of the canal from our own deck. In this case, I think that deck 8 was good choice as our view was better through some levels of the canal.

We did notice a lot of motion during rough seas, but as we walked through the ship we noticed that everyone was feeling it.

We had no problem with soot, noise or anything else. We actually just got off of the Paul Gauguin three days ago after spending a week in another aft cabin. (Just FYI, we thought the PG was a great ship, but we liked the Quest better for a lot of reasons.) I plan to book early from now on and select only aft cabins.

murphysmum;)

Hi Jan !

Havent others reported the aft balconies have a fair amount of dirt out there ? I presume it is from the smokestack. I have heard this happens on all of the R-Class ships, not only on Azamara.

If this is the case, even if the balcony is larger, what is the big deal about those 2 cabins ? I think I would prefer mid-ship over those cabins.

Hi Host Andy,

I have been talking about those 2 cabins for over 5 years and have had many people book them..in all that time I have never had a complaint about soot or dirt..I have been in 6091 several times (the Penthouse next to that Sunset stateroom) and never saw anything that bothered me like soot!

Jancruz1

Hi Host Andy,

I have been talking about those 2 cabins for over 5 years and have had many people book them..in all that time I have never had a complaint about soot or dirt..I have been in 6091 several times (the Penthouse next to that Sunset stateroom) and never saw anything that bothered me like soot!

Jancruz1

Hi Jan !

Glad to hear it. I know others had mentioned it, but apparantly its not an ongoing problem. Who knows ? Maybe it was simply a cabin attendant who wasnt paying enough attention to it.

Hey Everybody! Thanks so much for all of your input. Quest opened today and I pounced on #6093. When I went to book, I had a Celebrity Passages open booking, gave them my booking number and desired departure day, then pulled up this thread and asked for #6093...Voila! Since we are Southbound from Hong Kong, I figured the most starboard side aft might be better.

NOW IT'S TIME TO START SAVING THE BUCKS!

Thanks again!

Hey Everybody! Thanks so much for all of your input. Quest opened today and I pounced on #6093. When I went to book, I had a Celebrity Passages open booking, gave them my booking number and desired departure day, then pulled up this thread and asked for #6093...Voila! Since we are Southbound from Hong Kong, I figured the most starboard side aft might be better.

NOW IT'S TIME TO START SAVING THE BUCKS!

Thanks again!

I think you will very happy in that cabin and I know you will love Azamara..what an improvement there has been in every way!!! I am looking forward to my July 31st trip!!

Jancruz1

Ocean&Rivers -

You are indeed correct. What you see is what you get. Bring your own cushions, either your built-in ones or off the sofa.

With airline baggage restrictions nowadays, I think I'll consider the sofa cushions! Thank you for answering my question.

• 2 weeks later...

Andy is correctly quoting me and others regarding the soot on the stern decks. It is not a big deal, but it does happen. I was on deck 7, Penthouse. We experienced soot when underway, or first thing in the morning after moving at night. You just have to remember to wipe down the table and chairs before you sit the first thing in the morning (or if you have a sea day, you need to wipe down only after a rain). I didn’t one day and had black smudges on my white shorts. It took very little time to do a quick wipe. The cabin attendants are very aware of the situation. They clean it up when they clean the room. They told me that’s why they have a floor mat when you come in from the balcony, to help keep the soot off the carpet.

Regarding the deck chairs, we found them very comfortable. They don’t have pads, but they are the sling type you can get at fine patio furniture stores. Not the irritating slats, but a full fabric that allows you to sit comfortably (at least in my opinion).

I think any who book the stern will love it. Not only is the wake beautiful and relaxing, but we were entertained multiple times by dolphins.

Enjoy!

Kathy

The seats are comfortable on the balconies...and I am a "Person of a Certain Size". IF I was comfy anyone would be. My only complaint was that they, along with the table barely fit on the balcony Was great to have the table that big...got a footstool more or less on Oceania. Made for great breakfasts on deck. I hope nobody is taking this as a "dig" at the size of the balcony...been watching with interest all the "hype" on Celebrity forum..for the Solstice...they are SOOO excited...I look at how HUGE it is and then notice almost all the balconies are tiny, perhaps smaller than Azamaras'...even those vaunted aft cabins have small balconies...just barely (") wider than the doors!

From what I can gather, but don't quote me as I haven't been on the line yet (not till later this year) and am going off the Azamara site, there is no difference in size between 1A and 2A - the price difference is in the location - either the deck or the location on a deck e.g. the ones in the middle of Deck 7 are 1A, those at either end 2A. The size of the cabins are given as the same for both 1A and 2A (and SV only they have a bigger balcony)

There just does not seem to be enough information on cabin choices on Azamara, because it is such a new line.

We will be doing a transatlantic this fall we picked a sky suite on the 8th deck, mid ships (hopeful for stability). Praying for pretty calm sea's, but in case there is a few days that are rough I wanted mid ships.

We have have had rooms at the stern and at the very back bow (I noticed the most motion at the bow even my sweetie who doesn't get motion sickness had problems with the back of the ship.

Of course that was on the Grand Princess, I never had motion sickness on ship until the suite at the back of Princess. To me it just doesn't seem to be a ship that handles the sea all that well.

Happy sailing.

Archived