Venice transportation - from pier/to airport

I am hoping someone can help me understand this! I have looked on the ACTV and Venice Card websites and cannot seem to get it through my thick head how we do this!

:confused:

We are arriving by cruise ship October 29 and leaving from Marco Polo airport late in the day October 31. We are trying to limit the amount of walking with suitcases - but I cannot seem to find out whether we can get any water bus transport from the pier to our hotel near San Marco? or do we have to go to P. Roma? The Venice Card website seems to indicate we can get a water bus to San Marco from the pier - but doesn't say we can pick up the card at the pier? How far would we be walking at the pier?

Similarly we need to get to the airport with as little dragging of suitcases as possible!

Has anyone done these transfers? I am really having difficulty figuring out whether we are actually able to do this on our own - or do we have to bite the bullet and pay for a water taxi (our hotel does not have a water taxi entrance).

Sorry to be so dense! But thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Dot

I am hoping someone can help me understand this! I have looked on the ACTV and Venice Card websites and cannot seem to get it through my thick head how we do this!

:confused:

Dot

This what I have found out so far

1)You can take a water Taxi from the Airport to hotel 60-100 Euro per taxi depending on the location http://www.motoscafivenezia.it/company.htm

2)You can take the Alilaguna line from the Airport to San Marco about 12 Euro pp

http://www.alilaguna.com/

3)you can take the #5 bus from Airport to P. Roma then a Vaporetto to the hotel or close by.

You may have to drag your bags depending on the hotel location

You can get the bus for #euro then Vaporetto for 6.50 p/p or get one of the passes which allows trip on bus & vaporettos

You can buy the card at the airport...validate it before you board the #5 bus or you can buy the cards at P.Roma or as you board the water bus ...be sure to validate your ticket before you board for the 1st time

Check the hotel's website it will usually tell you how to reach them from the Vaporetto stop/airport etc...

Thank you LHT for the information. However, I guess I was not clear in my question. We are arriving by ship and need transportation to our hotel near San Marco. We would like to avoid the high cost of a water taxi (quotes I've had are 100-120 Euros) but I cannot seem figure out how to get a Venice Card at the pier (as that's where we will first arrive in Venice) or how far it is to walk to the Alilaguna line that will take us to San Zaccaria. Does the Venice Card let us use the Alilaguna line? I just find it very confusing to figure it all out at the pier.

Dense Dot!

:eek:

do u want to walk from the pier to the airport'???????? have i well understood????

Sorry PersistenzaretiniKa, NO! We want to get from the pier to our hotel which is near San Marco, but we cannot walk too far dragging suitcases. We were thinking it was more direct to go from the pier to San Marco on the canal to the south of Venice rather than going to P. Roma and traveling on the Grand Canal.

We would like to buy a 3-day pass (either a Venice Card or a water bus ticket) but I cannot understand if we can get the tickets at the pier when we leave the ship? And I cannot find out how far we have to walk from the ship to get the ticket and then to the water transport??

Dot

Dot,

If you are going to purchase a Venice Card, do so on the website, but you still have print a voucher and pick up the pass in Venice. Then when we get off the ship in Venice, there should be a shuttle to Piazzale Roma (transportation hub) where you will get the vaporetto to San Marco Piazza. I think the only thing right at the pier are high price water taxis. You will have to transport your own luggage from the shuttle bus to the vaporetto stop and then from the San Marco vaporetto stop to your hotel.

The only way to avoid that is to possibly contact your hotel and see if they have someone to help you with your luggage. Or others have posted to pack in a small suitcase for your two days in Venice and check the large suitcases at the baggage storage also at Piazzale Roma.

Are you buying the Venice card with the airport transfer with Alilaguna? Then the day you are to leave for the airport, take the vaporetto to Piazzale Rome, and collect your luggage and find the vaporetto taxi to the airport, or just take the bus (3 EURO).

This is a really good website, and in plain English for us to understand, if you still have questions, email me, you have my email address.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/arriving_in_venice_by_ship.htm

Hope I helped! El

eheh, sorry, my english is not that good as it could seem ehhe. anyway if i understood correctly your hotel is in san zaccaria and u can easily take a vaporetto to go there also from tronchetto ( usual cruise terminal) they come and forth continuosly, about every 20 minutes. it's not cheap but it's better than a watertaxi at 100euros!!. it costs 6 euros the one way fare, 12 round trip, u have to pay something for the luggage.

about venice cards for tourist i don't have any clues about it. as far as i knew venice cards are availables only for hinabitants of this region. but maybe there is a venice card for tourists too i don't know, anyway ask at tiket office at the ferryboat mini ports :)

I have not done this, but we will be traveling to Venice next week for 2 nights pre-cruise and this is my plan:

Take the Alilaguna from the airport to San Marco and walk to our hotel. We will each have one medium to large size suitcase and an attachable carry on.

On embarkation day, take the Alilaguna from San Marco to the port.

It is my understanding that the Venice card provides a discount on the Alilaguna, but the card must be bought before you arrive in Venice. Don't know if its really worthwhile to buy it. The Alilaguna website will give you the fares.

Not sure how we will get from the port to the Courtyard near the airport on our disembarkation day. May just take a taxi.

Hope this provides some help.

Rich

Thank you LHT for the information. However, I guess I was not clear in my question. We are arriving by ship and need transportation to our hotel near San Marco.

Dense Dot!

:eek:

Looks like you can get a Vaporetto at the cruise dock or take the shuttle to P. Roma & get the pass there then get the water bus #82

we havbe not been ther yet so I cannot tell you which way is better

Here is a site that may help (it has pictures, works for me ) :D

I do not think the you can use the Alilguana with the Venice pass card they do have their own card

There are several Pass cards

Venice Card http://www.hellovenezia.com/jsp/en/venicecardcosa/index.jsp

Vaporetto card http://www.hellovenezia.com/jsp/en/tariffe/index.jsp

Allilguana

This site has a lot of useful info

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-card.htm

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-vaporetto-fares.htm

Thanks for all this info. I had read many of the suggested sites - and now I think I have found a map that shows where we could get the Alilaguna Blue Line to St. Mark's. I have also emailed Venice Card to get sppecific information.

It's always reassuring to know that there's help here at CC when I'm feeling dense!!!

:D

Dot

Archived