Compared to the Mediterranean

We have been on the Mediterranean and will be going once again next May but we are itching to head North and see some of those spectacular countries! My concern is how rough is the waters during the summer months? I have heard always been told that they are very rough and uncomparable to the Med. or Caribbean? Just wanted some input from those who know best!!!

When you say 'head North' do you mean the Baltic countries or Norway/Iceland?

We've done both twice and it's pot luck! The first time we travelled in the Baltic Sea it was like glass for 2 weeks - the second time rather less smooth - but nothing to worry about. We had one overnight in the Med between Majorca and Barcelona which was pretty rough by comparison.

However, if you are sailing out of the UK, the North Sea can be quite rough. We once lost our first port of call on the outward journey because of battling rough seas and losing time (Force 8/9) and were several hours late getting back to the UK because of a Force 9/10 on our return (in September - perhaps it would be more settled in July/August but our weather is always a bit unpredictable). However, I wouldn't be put off going as both the Fjords and Baltic States are fantastic areas to visit- just take the travel sickness pills! (Or pick up a trip from Amsterdam/Oslo etc. and avoid the North Sea)

Pot luck indeed! I know there are very few places to go and have smooth sailing 100% but you summed it up for me! I was actually wondering about both areas so thank you so much for all the info! Rough seas won't keep me from going...but I may need to buy stock in motion sickness pills! Thanks again!

Archived