The best cruise for a 5 and 7 yr old!

Jennymc

My husband and I have cruised twice before. 1st Monarch (1999) and 2nd Grandeur (2006) both RCCL. We want to go on a 5 to 7 day cruise with our kids. Our son will be 7 and our daughter will be 5. We want to go either late 2008 or early 2009. What cruise lines, ships, iteninaries, dates, good deals, etc. does everyone recommend? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Jenny

I'll save myself the time and just post the links...lol

Discussion on Liberty of the Seas...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=774447

Discussion on taking a family cruise on a Freedom Ship (Indy)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=771189

You have already been on RCCL twice, why change? Just go for the Freedom Class ships.

Disney! Their children's facilities are excellent, offering highly themed play areas (Buzz's spaceport and Capt. Hook's pirate ship), and lots of neat activities.

If your daughter is a Princess fanatic (like mine!), then she will probably love the fact that you can have tea with Wendy, meet Cinderella, and dance the Do-Si-Do with Snow White, among other things.

On the last day of the cruise the kids participate in a Graduation Ceremony, complete with Mickey mortarboard hat and D-Sea-U t-shirt. It's presided over by the big cheese himself.

Disney's private island is also great. Complete with Kids CLub play area. You can actually drop the kids off in the play area, then zip over to the Adults-Only side of the island for some quiet time. A new feature of the island involves petting stingrays (in a tank). Unbelievably, the stingrays have been "trained" from birth to swim towards someone's hand when it is placed over a Mickey head silhouette in the water. Unreal!

Tons of fun on the Disney ships! If you have any questions, ask away as we've taken quite a few Disney cruises.

CeleBrat

Oh--you also asked about best time to go...? Well, Sept tends to be very cheap since it is in the midst of hurricane season. But, conversely, you have to pull your kids out of school, which you may not want to do (depends on school/teacher).

Also, some great cruise ports are as follows:

-Belize: great for seeing some ruins that you can actually climb on or go river tubing

-Jamaica: to climb Dunn's River Falls

-Grand Cayman: swimming w/stingrays in the midst of the ocean on an fantastic sandbar

-Cozumel: Paradise Beach with lots of fun water toys

-Grand Turk: great for shelling, including giant conch shells

-St. Thomas: day trip to St. John for snorkeling

-St. Maarten: watching the planes fly 50 feet over your head while on Divi Beach

Hope that helps!

CeleBrat

Archived