Onboard bookings

Do you prefer to book your future cruises while still onboard your current cruise? If so, what kind of deal did you get when compared to other TA's and online booking agent offers. Also, any tips or special insights on how to go about booking while still onboard would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Book onboard and you will get shipboard credit, amount depending on length of cruise, for the new cruise. You can then transfer the booking to any TA you want and thus get any deal you want. Just remember they have to keep the same booking #. IMHO you can't go wrong booking onboard.

Princess actually has an even better on board booking policy. At least they did the last time I went. Not only do you get onboard credit, you don't have to choose a specific date/ship. Just a future booking for anytime anyship for the next 2 years. Also, a reduced deposit amount. I don't remember what it was though.

Carnival doesn't offer onboard booking, which I can't understand why. They're the only line I know of who doesn't. Actually I'm not sure if NCL does or not. While I was onboard I wasn't anxious to jump and book again so I guess I didn't notice. Definitely book onboard if you can. As said earlier, it's a no lose situation.

On RCCL, they will have it posted in the daily newletter when the future cruise consultant will be available. It's usually just a few hours per day, so watch the compass.

tommy joe. you do notget a better deal by keeping an onboard booking direct witht he cruise line. you need to book on board a ship to receive the ship board credit but use your travel agent to come up with the best deal. it is a great thing to have the ship board credit and have the best deal by using your ta who will help you.

Thanks to all who responded.

Sounds like many of you have gotten some substantial onboard credits by doing your bookings onboard. I will also be sure to have a confirmation in hand prior to disembarkation if I do choose to book this way.

But it seems to me that if I book onboard I will be stuck paying RCCL's marked up brochure rates. I understand that rates sometimes go down as you get closer to the sail date, but how is one going to be assured that your chosen travel agent will honor the new lower price? I've always booked with a certain online booking agent that handles everything electronically and who has always come in at least $200 cheaper than other similar competitors. But with RCCL's new policy, this may be a thing of the past. So I'm still not sure whether a $200 onboard credit will make booking this way worth it.:confused:

Any opinions? Thanks again.

Tommy Joe,

Booking onboard doesn't mean you'll pay brochure rates. Actually, the cruiseline never charges brochure rates. They quote the same pricing onboard as they do if you call their reservations #. Rccl's new pricing policy may mean that the online agency you work with may not be able to give you the substatial discounts you saw before but it should be the same as the cruise line or maybe less if they are a "key account". You don't risk paying more by booking onboard.

You can change your reservation, just as long as you keep the booking number. We want to take a Caribbean cruise in winter 2006, and the schedule isn't out yet, so we booked next year & will change the reservation when the schedules are published. The booking number will remain the same. I think any more than one change & the TA may impose a fee.

The Princess indefinite booking is terrific - for $100 pp, you can get an onboard credit that's good for 4 years. RCCL took $250pp for the reservation we just made. Oh, well, it's still worth it for the onboard booking credit!

Archived