Herculaneum & Naples Archaeological Museum

We will be in Naples for a one day stop on 3rd August. While we're there we would like to see Herculaneum and also the Museum in Naples. There are ships tours that do both but on separate trips so we'd have to do the Herculaneum trip, come back to the ship & then do the museum trip.

Can anybody advise on the best ways of doing both on our own? I'd like to take things at my own pace. Is the museum within walking distance of the port? Or is public transport easy? We had a very confusing experience with busses in Sorrento a few years back & that sort of put us off the public transport options! Also, as its a Sunday will all the public transport run as normal or are there reduced services?

Sorry for all the questions, :o any help or guidance will be very gratefully received! By the way we're in port from 07:00 and sail away at 18:00 so probably can be on land from say 08:00 till about 17:00. :)

We walked to the museum. It's a pretty straight route from the port. the sansevero chapel is near by, you may want to check that out as well.

Herculaneum is much closer to the city than pompeii, just a quick hop by bus or circumvesuviana(sp).

We will also be in Naples for one day and are planning to go to Herculeneum and the museum in Naples. I contacted RomeinLimo and told them what we wanted to see and they quoted me a price to pick us up at the ship and take us to the places we want to go. So, that's what we are doing.

We will also be in Naples for one day and are planning to go to Herculeneum and the museum in Naples. I contacted RomeinLimo and told them what we wanted to see and they quoted me a price to pick us up at the ship and take us to the places we want to go. So, that's what we are doing.

Wow, thanks for the info. I'll contact RomeinLimo and see what they can do for us. What times are you in port - are they getting you back to the ship in plenty of time?

We will be in Naples for a one day stop on 3rd August. While we're there we would like to see Herculaneum and also the Museum in Naples. There are ships tours that do both but on separate trips so we'd have to do the Herculaneum trip, come back to the ship & then do the museum trip.

. :)

do you want to see a site or objects? most (all) of the objects from herculaneum and pompeii have been removed from the sites and stored/interpreted at the museum in naples.

i thought the museum was more interesting, but i also like the intensity of naples. i was an independant traveler.

Hi HeatherM - our ship is in Naples on Aug 3rd also - are you on the Emerald Princess??? If so, you should hop over to the roll call thread and join our group.

We have arranged a private tour with AP tours for a full day to Herculenan, Positano, Ravello and the Amalfi Coast....you may want to check with them as well. So far it is just the 3 of us, but others may join from our roll call.

Happy Travels:)

Hi HeatherM - our ship is in Naples on Aug 3rd also - are you on the Emerald Princess??? If so, you should hop over to the roll call thread and join our group.

We have arranged a private tour with AP tours for a full day to Herculenan, Positano, Ravello and the Amalfi Coast....you may want to check with them as well. So far it is just the 3 of us, but others may join from our roll call.

Happy Travels:)

Hi. No, we are on the Legend of the Seas (Royal Caribbean). I think you're doing a similar itinerary to us though, as I've noticed the Emerald Princess will be in a few ports at the same time as us. Looks like a lovely ship! Might gate-crash your roll-call to get some ideas if that's OK, ours has been very quiet:) .

We have done the Amalfi Coast, Positano, Ravello and Pompeii on a previous land-based trip so this time want to concentrate on those bits we wanted to see before but didn't have time for (i.e. Herculaneum and Museum).

We are interested in both the sites and the artifacts, which is why we want to visit both this time.

Thanks for the posts all, very helpful.:)

Hi,

Funnily enough my wife and I will also be there on 3rd Aug but with Azamara Quest. We were in Sorrento in 2004 on holiday and did both the Museum and Herculaneum.

We caught the train to Ercolano which is a suburb of Naples and then walked downhill for about 10 mins to Herculaneum.

Herculaneum is much smaller and manageable than Pompeii especially if it is hot, and is also much better preserved.

The Museum is also very interesting and an easy walk from the Port.

Wow, thanks for the info. I'll contact RomeinLimo and see what they can do for us. What times are you in port - are they getting you back to the ship in plenty of time?

I forget the exact times we are in port, something like 7am to 8pm. I do know that RomeinLimo said they will have us back by 5pm and that was plenty of time before the ship sailed even if there was a traffic problem. If you read the threads about them no one seems to have had any problem getting back to the ship. That's one of the reasons I chose to book with RIL.

Archived