Yukon Expedition & White Pass Scenic Railway

fundayz

Has anyone done this excursion through Princess? We have every other port booked and would like some experienced help with this port. I have read about many Yukon train trips, but am unsure if this is the same. Can anyone help? Thanks so much!

Has anyone done this excursion through Princess? We have every other port booked and would like some experienced help with this port. I have read about many Yukon train trips, but am unsure if this is the same. Can anyone help? Thanks so much!

The cruiselines as well as independent tour companies run these trips. The train tracks are the same. I believe, but am not certain, that the cruiselines may have their own train cars. If you choose to go to the Yukon, the cruiseline buses that you transfer to will be large tour buses. Some of the independents use smaller buses, so you are traveling with a smaller group of people. The one independent company that has gotten a lot of good reviews on this site is Chilkoot. We booked with them for this summer based on all the good reviews they have received. They offer different tour choices, just like the cruiselines do. The links for the different tours are on the left side:

http://www.chilkootcharters.com

There is a big difference in unloading a bus of 10-12 passengers and one with 60.

My opinion, I'd take the smaller independent tours anytime over the crowded cruise tours.

We probably made a few more stops than the larger bus because it only took a minute for us to get off and on the small bus. Also, the guide said that if we passed something interesting and "hollered out", he would gladly turn the small bus around and go back to see. No large bus could do that.

I'm thinking that we will do this independently. I checked and Chilkoot has tours leaving at 7:30am. Our ship is scheduled to dock at 6:30am, do you think we will have enough time to get to Chilkoot's pick up point? New to cruising ... sorry if this is a silly question!

First, Chilkoot will pick you up at your ship. There should be a little meeting place near your ship where you will meet your tour guide. The 7:30am tour is the Yukon one. That's the one we took and we loved it. We went up on the train to Fraser, then boarded a motor coach. Our driver stopped where ever we asked her to and gave great info along the way. We stopped at Emerald Lake for photos, went to Caribou Crossing for lunch, to see the husky puppies and the museum. They had dog sled rides (on wheels, not runners on snow) available for an extra fee. Then we stopped at the Carcross Desert (yep, there is one up there!), and stopped in Carcross. You can get your passport stamped at the postoffice and get some tasty ice creat at the little store. Then we came back down, also stopping for more photos. Then she dropped us off in town where ever we wanted. Well worth it!

Our ship docks at 7:00 and Chilkoot told us that we will be able to make the 7:30 pickup at the end of the dock. They will pick you up in their van.

The 7 hour trip seems to be very popular. Last year they added the 9 hour trip. Unfortunately the season was cut short last year when the tracks were washed out by a bad rainstorm. It is supposed to be up and running again this year. We decided to go on the 9 hour tour. Here is a link that explains the new longer route.

http://www.railsnorth.***/carcross-skagway2007.html

You can read summaries of both the 7 hour and 9 hour tours on the website.

I had the same dilemna as you cruising with 8yr old and my parents--late 70's. I ended up booking WPR to Fraser and then continuing on for the day with Dyea Dave--independent tour--check out his website and his reviews here on the Boards--ended up costing less and will be personalized. I didn't think that everyone wanted to be on the train more than 2 hours so he takes up to Emerald Lake and back, with stops along the way. He will pick us up at the dock and take us to the WPR depot in town

your train portion thru the depot and if they ask if you are off the ship? they will send you back to the ship for booking, Dave cann't book the train if they know you are off the ship, ask questions?

Stacym

I had the same dilemna as you cruising with 8yr old and my parents--late 70's. I ended up booking WPR to Fraser and then continuing on for the day with Dyea Dave--independent tour--check out his website and his reviews here on the Boards--ended up costing less and will be personalized. I didn't think that everyone wanted to be on the train more than 2 hours so he takes up to Emerald Lake and back, with stops along the way. He will pick us up at the dock and take us to the WPR depot in town

isn't there a charge at the museum? do you recall the cost? any other misc fees that you may recall? we'll be on the 7hr

The cost of everything at Caribou Crossing was included in what you pay Chilkoot (except for a sled ride or any purchases). After paying Chilkoot, you don't have to spend another dime if you choose not to. We did tip our guide/driver (Amity) because she was excellent, and made the trip so enjoyable. We bought ice cream in Carcross, and I bought some postcards at the gift shop at Caribou Crossing. But that's all we spent.

Our DS was 6 at the time, and he loved the train and the Chilkoot motorcoach. He especially loved the husky puppies at Caribou Crossing. And I was amazed that lunch was pretty tasty. It was barbequed chicken (1/4 of a chicken), baked beans, fresh and home-made rolls and donut holes. There was something else but I can't remember.

We just returned from Star Princess Inside passage which left 5/11. We too didn't know which trip would be best for us. We chose the 3 1/2 hour trip train ride and return trip from Fraser by small bus. As others have said they are a wonderful tour group. You have your own chartered train car and small bus which stops frequently on the way back to Skagway. They dropped us off afterward to shop. It was freezing and very windy so we were glad we dressed for it.

They were waiting for us at 7:30 when we got off the ship and drove us to the train where we saw several Princesses tour buses. Glad we didn't have to fight the crowds - there were only about 20 on our chartered car. Also, SIT ON THE LEFT FACING THE ENGINE and on the bus return trip too. The scenery is a lot nicer and I learned this from these great boards!

Alaska is beautiful - enjoy!

This appears to be something we would be interested in doing. I went to their website and they did not have the price of the tours listed, just the page to reserve and pay on. I really don't want to book something giving a credit card and have no idea of what the price of the tours are.

Anys suggestions as to how I can find out the cost of the tours before booking and paying for it?

Diane

This appears to be something we would be interested in doing. I went to their website and they did not have the price of the tours listed, just the page to reserve and pay on. I really don't want to book something giving a credit card and have no idea of what the price of the tours are.

Anys suggestions as to how I can find out the cost of the tours before booking and paying for it?

Diane

I booked the 9 hr tour and it is $229 pp. I think the 7 hr tour is $174. I felt the same way you did about booking without knowing the price. I called and they answered all my questions. I booked online and my card was charged the correct amount. :)

your train portion thru the depot and if they ask if you are off the ship? they will send you back to the ship for booking, Dave cann't book the train if they know you are off the ship, ask questions?

Stacym

Just to clear up some misinformation which seems to creep onto this forum from time to time;

There are several tour companies and a couple of truly personal guides, here in Skagway, who can indeed handle ALL of your booking needs, including the train! Some celebrities, etc., seeking anonimity find this service quite helpful, so it is indeed available!

There are certain trains which are round trip which have the contract with the ship where you do indeed have to book through the ship, but these are not the one way, with extended bus services, trips being considered here. I hope that this helps to clear up any confusion. DD

Chilkoot would be the smaller independent company, and I highly recommend their 7hr WPRR & Yukon tour! It's money well-spent (even according to my very frugal CPA DH) and much more personalized.

We went on the Chilkoot 7 hour WPPR and Yukon tour last week. The van coming back only had about 10 people on it, and BJ (our guide) was very informative and willing to stop wherever we asked for Photos. We saw one bear outside of Carcross and took plenty of pictures, and then saw a mama bear and two cubs farther down the Highway. That, combined with the scenery, made for an unforgettable experience. I highly recommend this tour.

Barry

First, Chilkoot will pick you up at your ship. There should be a little meeting place near your ship where you will meet your tour guide. The 7:30am tour is the Yukon one. That's the one we took and we loved it. We went up on the train to Fraser, then boarded a motor coach. Our driver stopped where ever we asked her to and gave great info along the way. We stopped at Emerald Lake for photos, went to Caribou Crossing for lunch, to see the husky puppies and the museum. They had dog sled rides (on wheels, not runners on snow) available for an extra fee. Then we stopped at the Carcross Desert (yep, there is one up there!), and stopped in Carcross. You can get your passport stamped at the postoffice and get some tasty ice creat at the little store. Then we came back down, also stopping for more photos. Then she dropped us off in town where ever we wanted. Well worth it!

Did you do the dogsled? Or did anyone in your party do the dogsled? Also what time did you get back into town. Were you satisfied with the quality of this tour and feel you got what you paid for. We are considering this. THANKS!

Did you do the dogsled? Or did anyone in your party do the dogsled? Also what time did you get back into town. Were you satisfied with the quality of this tour and feel you got what you paid for. We are considering this. THANKS!

I didn't go look for the dogsled because my then 6yo DS was busy playing with the husky puppies and we had no intentions of doing the the sled ride. I do know that it is usually on wheels, not snow, and I don't know how much it cost. We thought the tour was well-worth the money. My DH is a very frugal CPA, and even he agreed. We had another couple with us who cruises alot, and this was their 4th or 5th time to Alaska. They swore you could only ride the train up and back and that there weren't any other options. I took them here and then to Chilkoot's site and explained it to them, so the decided to join us. Jim said countless times that it was the best tour he's ever done (and they've done a lot). I don't remember whe time we got back into town, and alot of that will depend on how long and how many stops you make. It's very personalized, so if you ask for them to stop for a photo, they will. I know we had plenty of time for walking the shops after the tour.

I didn't go look for the dogsled because my then 6yo DS was busy playing with the husky puppies and we had no intentions of doing the the sled ride. I do know that it is usually on wheels, not snow, and I don't know how much it cost. We thought the tour was well-worth the money. My DH is a very frugal CPA, and even he agreed. We had another couple with us who cruises alot, and this was their 4th or 5th time to Alaska. They swore you could only ride the train up and back and that there weren't any other options. I took them here and then to Chilkoot's site and explained it to them, so the decided to join us. Jim said countless times that it was the best tour he's ever done (and they've done a lot). I don't remember whe time we got back into town, and alot of that will depend on how long and how many stops you make. It's very personalized, so if you ask for them to stop for a photo, they will. I know we had plenty of time for walking the shops after the tour.

Wow, thanks so much for the extra info. I believe this is a tour we will def be booking! RIGHT AWAY for Sept.

Archived