Baltimore to DC????

mommyx2

Hi all,

we are coming to the east coast for a Canada/New England cruise all the way from the West Coast(California). We are wanting to spend a few extra days and see DC. Can anyone tell me how far DC is away? we have kids that are 10 and 7 so how many days to see DC and then Baltimore? any helpful info on what hotels to stay in in DC or baltimore with kids and things to see would be helpful. Thanks to all.

Happy Cruising!!!!!!!!!!

DC and Baltimore are roughly 40 miles apart, and BWI, while closer to Baltimore, is located between them. You will have no problem getting ground transportation from BWI to DC (busses, super shuttle, etc.).

Tons of stuff in both cities to do with kids. If first trip to DC, see the major government sites and do the Mall and various Smithsonian museums. You will be able to easily find lots of tourist guide information for both cities on line.

Can't help you much with hotels, because we never use them. But there are lots to choose from. Have fun.

David

I will probably be slammed for this but as a lifetime resident of the Baltimore area, I suggest that you spend the majority of your time in DC. Obviously, DC is our nations capital and you could spend a month there and not see everything. Baltimore on the other hand I find to be very limited in what it offers to tourists. There is the harbor area (science center, aquarium,Planet Discovery kid zone, etc) and a some museums, historical houses etc. but that's it. If you do decide to do some stuff in Baltimore, one day is enough and the rest of your days should be spent in DC.

In addition, you need to be very, very careful in the Baltimore area as the crime is horrific. Of course, there is crime in every big city, and people will tell you that DC sure has it's share of crime, but not like Baltimore. I believe we are still listed as number 1 on the murder list. You really don't want to venture too far outside the harbor area (including Little Italy & Fells Point) after dark. And even during the day use caution.

I truly am not an alarmist, and do go to the city quite often myself. But I am extremely cautious and know what areas to avoid. So if you do spend anytime in Baltimore, stick to the "touristy" areas of the inner harbor.

I will probably be slammed for this but as a lifetime resident of the Baltimore area, I suggest that you spend the majority of your time in DC. Obviously, DC is our nations capital and you could spend a month there and not see everything. Baltimore on the other hand I find to be very limited in what it offers to tourists. There is the harbor area (science center, aquarium,Planet Discovery kid zone, etc) and a some museums, historical houses etc. but that's it. If you do decide to do some stuff in Baltimore, one day is enough and the rest of your days should be spent in DC.

In addition, you need to be very, very careful in the Baltimore area as the crime is horrific. Of course, there is crime in every big city, and people will tell you that DC sure has it's share of crime, but not like Baltimore. I believe we are still listed as number 1 on the murder list. You really don't want to venture too far outside the harbor area (including Little Italy & Fells Point) after dark. And even during the day use caution.

I truly am not an alarmist, and do go to the city quite often myself. But I am extremely cautious and know what areas to avoid. So if you do spend anytime in Baltimore, stick to the "touristy" areas of the inner harbor.

Actually, as a Baltimore native I completely agree. Yes, there are things to do in Baltimore, but like you said - just a day is good.

DC has so much to see -- history, government, museums, etc etc etc. I have done many day trips there and still have yet to see everything I want to (and I only live 30min-1hr away).

I would say, stay in DC but do research on everything that is there and choose before you get there.

If you don't you run the risk of:

1. Being completely overwhelmed when you get here.

2. Possible arguments on what to see.

3. Not being able to get tix to the things you really want to do.

In my opinion, a must is the Lincoln Memorial and the Capitol (the area between them is known as the National Mall). Then there is the Smithsonian, Air and Space Museum, and one of the "newer" ones - the Spy museum. You can spend hours in these places and lose track of time.

Then choose 1 day to do Baltimore. If you want some history start with Ft McHenry in the morning, then do the Aquarium and Science Center in the afternoon (I personally think both can be done in 1 day). The space between the Aquarium and Science Center is what they call the "Inner Harbor" - 2 pavillions full of shops and restaurants. Have dinner there, and if anyone is a seafood lover try a Maryland crabcake

Thanks for all the replys. I have lots of research to do. Thanks for the heads up on the crime. Another question, how far is camden yards baseball park and inner harbor? we are hoping to catch a game pre or post cruise. Do you think if we stay in inner harbor a day or two, we can get away without a rental car? Then DC question- We fly into BWI should we rent a car and go to do DC for a couple of days or shuttle to a DC hotel and cab it or walk it around DC? not sure I want to mess with all the parking issues.. Thanks for all the help.

Tami

Well, I live in Baltimore, not in the Baltimore area. This is certainly not painting a pretty picture of my city. I do believe Detroit is now #1 for murder in the US. Baltimore's crime rate is dropping.

No one should ever let their guard down in any city or suburb in this country. Baltimore is certainly not a shooting range. Common sense prevails in every city and on every Caribbean island. A tourist is not going to venture into any area of any city that is unknown to them.

Please, I beg to differ. There is absolutely no reason to feel unsafe in Baltimore. Hang out at the Inner Harbor, visit the National Aquarium, the Science Center and hop on the water taxi to Fort McHenry. You'll have a ball and you'll be inundated with tourists just like yourselves!

[url=http://baltimore.org/visitor-guide][/url]

Sure, DC as tons of attractions for families, with the Smithsonian as one of the best in the country. Baltimore has lots for families also. Welcome!;)

http://baltimore.org/visitor-guide

http://www.iexplore.com/cityguides/Maryland/Baltimore/Where+to+Go

http://www.ci.baltimore.md.us/visitor/

http://www.cruisemaryland.com/

mommy...You can walk from the Inner Harbor to Camden Yards and you'll be walking with lots of others headed for the same destination.

Yes, if you're staying in and touring the Inner Harbor area, you won't need a car. If you love walking, you'll be just fine.

Here's a map that should help. Have fun!

http://www.baltimore.to/Maps/index.html

Sorry, forgot to add...just scroll the map a tad to the right and you'll see Camden yards. Look for Conway Street.

Thanks for all the replys. I have lots of research to do. Thanks for the heads up on the crime. Another question, how far is camden yards baseball park and inner harbor? we are hoping to catch a game pre or post cruise. Do you think if we stay in inner harbor a day or two, we can get away without a rental car? Then DC question- We fly into BWI should we rent a car and go to do DC for a couple of days or shuttle to a DC hotel and cab it or walk it around DC? not sure I want to mess with all the parking issues.. Thanks for all the help.

Tami

mommy...You can walk from the Inner Harbor to Camden Yards and you'll be walking with lots of others headed for the same destination.

Yes, if you're staying in and touring the Inner Harbor area, you won't need a car. If you love walking, you'll be just fine.

Here's a map that should help. Have fun!

http://www.baltimore.to/Maps/index.html

Sorry, forgot to add...just scroll the map a tad to the right and you'll see Camden yards. Look for Conway Street.

thanks, if you were coming on vacation to inner harbor where with 2 kiddos, where would you stay? i like the idea of walking with all those people to the game if there is one.. what about getting to anf around DC, do you think we can get a shuttle from BWI to DC hotel and then back to inner harbor without getting a car rental??? thanks for all the help

Well, I live in Baltimore, not in the Baltimore area. This is certainly not painting a pretty picture of my city. I do believe Detroit is now #1 for murder in the US. Baltimore's crime rate is dropping.

No one should ever let their guard down in any city or suburb in this country. Baltimore is certainly not a shooting range. Common sense prevails in every city and on every Caribbean island. A tourist is not going to venture into any area of any city that is unknown to them.

Please, I beg to differ. There is absolutely no reason to feel unsafe in Baltimore. Hang out at the Inner Harbor, visit the National Aquarium, the Science Center and hop on the water taxi to Fort McHenry. You'll have a ball and you'll be inundated with tourists just like yourselves!

Sure, DC as tons of attractions for families, with the Smithsonian as one of the best in the country. Baltimore has lots for families also. Welcome!;)

I am sorry if I offended, but facts are facts. Hopefully, things are improving but here is what Wikopedia has for stats on crime in Baltimore:

CNN/Morgan Quitno "Most Dangerous City" Rankings (2007) ranks Baltimore as the 12th most dangerous American city.[51] Baltimore is second only to Detroit among cities with a population over 500,000.[52]

According to crime statistics there were 269 homicides in Baltimore in 2005,[53] giving it the highest homicide rate per 100,000 of all U.S. cities of 250,000 or more population.[52] Though this is significantly lower than the record-high 353 homicides in 1993, the homicide rate in Baltimore is nearly seven times the national rate, six times the rate of New York City, and three times the rate of Los Angeles

Sorry, but the murder rate is worse then detroit. Not in actual numbers but in ratio of murders to population. And, being 7 times the national average and six times the rate in NY is staggering. And worth warning people about. I only wish that 2 friends that were stabbed over 50 times in the parking lot between Phillips and the science center would have heeded the statistics before one of them lost their life....in broad daylight.

Baltimore is a beautiful city and OMalley should hang his head in shame.

No offense taken whatsoever.

I've already seen all of these rankings as I checked them before I replied. 2008 has taken a turn for the better for Baltimore. 2007 and 2005 are history.

According to this site (same Google page as your site) for 2007, Orlando, where families flock 24/7/365, topped Baltimore.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921299.html

IMO, people who come to this site are savvy travelers and are doing their homework/research. I just find it unnecessary to warn potential Baltimore tourists, as they already know they'll be visiting an urban location where crime occurs.

I'm sorry for your friends' tragedies.

I am sorry if I offended, but facts are facts. Hopefully, things are improving but here is what Wikopedia has for stats on crime in Baltimore:______________

CNN/Morgan Quitno "Most Dangerous City" Rankings (2007) ranks Baltimore as the 12th most dangerous American city.[51] Baltimore is second only to Detroit among cities with a population over 500,000.[52]

According to crime statistics there were 269 homicides in Baltimore in 2005,[53] giving it the highest homicide rate per 100,000 of all U.S. cities of 250,000 or more population.[52] Though this is significantly lower than the record-high 353 homicides in 1993, the homicide rate in Baltimore is nearly seven times the national rate, six times the rate of New York City, and three times the rate of Los Angeles

Sorry, but the murder rate is worse then detroit. Not in actual numbers but in ratio of murders to population. And, being 7 times the national average and six times the rate in NY is staggering. And worth warning people about. I only wish that 2 friends that were stabbed over 50 times in the parking lot between Phillips and the science center would have heeded the statistics before one of them lost their life....in broad daylight.

Baltimore is a beautiful city and OMalley should hang his head in shame.

You're welcome.

Can't really help much with the hotels, but the Hyatt and the Renaissance are right there, so, with children I would probably choose one of those. Recently, a friend stayed at Henderson's Wharf and loved it, but no children were involved. It really is in a great location, but it's not adjoined to Harborplace, where the National Aquarium, etc., are located.

Lots of posters here suggest staying on the outskirts of Baltimore because the hotel rates are lower (same case in every city). IMO, just like in Manhattan, if you want to see the Baltimore, stay in Baltimore. ;)

I did a Baltimore search and here are lots of threads.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=10005528

There's a poster named Signman who checks this board all the time and will most likely chime in soon. He's an employee at the Port of Baltimore and he will give you great info.

Here's what Trip Advisor has to say about Baltimore hotels.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60811-Baltimore_Maryland-Hotels.html

Sorry, but I can't help with the shuttles...never use them. Good luck.;)

thanks, if you were coming on vacation to inner harbor where with 2 kiddos, where would you stay? i like the idea of walking with all those people to the game if there is one.. what about getting to anf around DC, do you think we can get a shuttle from BWI to DC hotel and then back to inner harbor without getting a car rental??? thanks for all the help

There is a Sheraton and Days Inn that have a lot of people going to the game. There is also a Holiday Inn close by, a Hyatt which is right across the street from the Inner Harbor, and a Pier 5 Hotel next to the Aquarium. These are the ones that I would say are nice and not overly expensive.

The Renaissance and InterContinental are very nice and across the street from the harbor, but they tend to be a bit more pricey than the others.

As for DC... I would take a shuttle and then just walk around the city or use the subway and cabs. We don't like the parking either so we always go to a park and ride right outside the city and take the subway from there.

You definitely don't need a car for sightseeing in Washington DC. They have an excellent subway system (called "Metro") that is clean and safe.

Traveling between Bal/BWI on M-F you can utilize the Marc commuter rail system both from Camden station (limited non rush hour svc.) as well as hourly non rush hour svc. from Balt. Penn station also serving BWI station.

Tami

just a tip about camden yards...tickets definitely aren't a problem, *but* if you look for the no scalp zone, you can tickets that might be reserved for season tickets cheaply. or just find tickets for where ever for below face value. just a thought.

The Orioles final 2 games of the season are Saturday, 9/27 at 7 PM and Sunday 9/28 at 1:30PM. Even now brokers are selling some excellent field box seats for less than face value, and should only get cheaper.

You might also want to consider a game before your cruise at the brand new Washington Nationals ballpark. They are home against the Mets on 9/16 and 9/17. Once again, tickets are being sold below face value even now.

A very reliable company for shuttle services is http://www.bwitransportation.com

Rental cars are not too expensive at BWI, so you should look at that option, but consider that parking at any downtown hotel in Baltimore or DC will cost $20 or more per night.

The best attractions for the kids in Baltimore are the Aquarium, Maryland Science Center and Port Discovery. There are several new hotels in the Harbor East area, Hilton Garden Inn, and Homewood Suites. There are also Hampton Inns right downtown and a new one adjacent to Camden Yards.

I am a very satisfied user of Priceline and you can usually find something good at a good price, but often not until a week or two before your arrival. Make a cancellable reservation and then give PL a try.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm originally from Baltimore also, most of my family still live there and as long as you stay in the tourist areas you're fine. There's places even I won't go and I've lived there for the first 30 years of my life. There's a lot to do in Baltimore depending on your interest. You can go see Fort McHenry(Birthplace of the National Anthem) in the morning and spend the rest of the day at the Inner Harbor seeing the Science Center, Aquarium, USS Constellation, and even take a little tour boat ride. I would recommend a trip over to Fell's Point, you can take the water taxi over there. There are a lot of interesting museums.

Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Museum(Birthplace of American Railroading)

Baltimore Museum of Industry(Located in an old cannery, has a lot of exhibits on Baltimore industrial history.)

Walters Art Gallery

Baltimore Museum of Art

National Museum of Dentistry (I'm in school to be a dental assistant so I this is very interesting to me.)

Baltimore Streetcar Museum

Babe Ruth Museum

Several historic ships you can tour. The list goes on and on, it really just depends on what interest you. Like a previous poster said, there are several old historic houses you can tour. Then if you want to drive about 20 miles south, you can visit Annapolis and see the Naval Academy and walk around the city which became the state capital in 1694 I believe, take a cruise around Annapolis Harbor.

This is just a small portion of what there is to do in Baltimore. I recommend getting a AAA tourbook and that would help you plan.

Have a wonderful trip.

OK, now I am going to chime in....I live in a rural suburb of Baltimore (exactly half way between DC and Philly)...AND a frequent day traveler to NYC--IMO the safety issues in Baltimore are the same for the other 3 cities I mentioned. Be alert and be smart....as in every major city in the world. Enough said.

I agree with Madelinerose about all she has posted. Spend most of your time in DC with a day in Baltimore. While the Aquarium is fantastic--it is VERY pricey and can eat all your day--at the Science Center now is the Bodies exhibit which is facinating (maybe a bit much for younger kids as it is real bodies with ALL areas exposed) and I think that U2 in 3D is still there in the IMAX (for older kids if they like U2)

If it were me....I would stay at a hotel around BWI and rent a car, drive to a DC metro station (either Greenbelt or New Carrollton stop) and use the Metro exclusively in DC. You will hate your life if you try to park in DC in the summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In other times of year, you can pull it off on the weekends, but at no time in the summer is it wise to try (unless looking for a new parking spot every 2 hours at the Mall (capital not shopping) is your idea of a great time. Metro is clean, user friendly and kids think it is a blast.

As a homeschooling mom, this would be my recommendation for DC:

Day 1-hit all the momuments and the capital and Archives--a tall order but can be done if everyone is relatively fit. (I would leave off Jefferson Memorial if you run short on time since it is off by itself). This gives you a flavor of DC and is the bones of the city.

Day 2- choose a couple of Smithsonians to do well. I would skip the art ones (hot in the summer and unless you LOVE art and there is not a special tour in town, I find them BORING) Here is my suggestions for kids: Air and Space and the Museum of Natural History. While the dinos greet you on the first floor, head to the basment to see Teddy Roosevelt's trophy collection, IMO it is one of the most overlooked areas of the Smithsonian and it will knock your socks off! FABULOUS!

Day 3-I would do this slice of DC (after many, many visits, still one of my favs)--Ford's theatre, the house where Lincoln died (across the street from the theatre) the FBI building and the newest museum in DC-the Spy Museum are all in the same area (with a Hard Rock Cafe next to Ford's for lunch). Very interesting if you have middle school and older kids.

I know it is very chic to be anti US-even in our own country, but every time I travel abroard I am so thankful for my blue passport with the eagle on it! I am very proud to be an American and I think that every American should get the chance to see DC sometime in their lifetime---it belongs to all of us. What a great gift you are giving your kids!

Enjoy!

Grits

Signman,

Well, I don't bet crabcakes unless I am 100% sure, so I will take your word for it. What kind of museum is it and where is it?

Just for the record..the worst museum I have ever been to (which has the potential to be AMAZING) is the Museum of Cryptology (not the exact name) located on the BW Parkway. I had such high hopes for it--I have 3 sons and when we were there with a group of about 15 eager learners the docent was a jerk and would not grant us a tour. Just to walk through at your own pace is not helpful because the exhibits lack explaination. Too bad.

In contrast, my favorite museum of all times (and as a homeschooling mom I have seen almost all of the major ones in DC, Philly and Mid-Atlantic region!)

is the Civil War museum in Richmond. It is right next to the UVA Medical Center and I promise you that you will stand in front of the displays with your mouth hanging open and ask over and over, "How is the world can they have this?" (The answer is because some of the coolest things are on loan from private collections.) It won't matter if you are a history lover (like us) or not...you will be AMAZED at what they have in that museum.

OK. I digress and therefore will shut up. :)

Grits

I've lived in the DC suburbs for a good 20 years now (and worked in downtown DC for five of them), but I still haven't seen even a fraction of what DC has to offer. A lot of the museums and monuments are located along the "mall", which is a hugh area stretching from the capitol building down to the Lincoln memorial. I suggest one of the "hop on, hop off" tours because trying to walk to see everything will be exhausting.

http://www.trolleytours.com/washington-dc/

http://www.dctours.us/tours/tourDetail.cfm?tour_id=8827

DC is a beautiful city (at least the area you'll be seeing is!). It's especially beautiful at night when all the buildings are lit up. There's so much to see and do you'll never have time, so pick the things you have the most interest in. Most everything is free, but if you want to see the Holocaust museum it requires tickets. The tickets are free but they go quickly so if you really want to see it I would suggest paying the few dollars to get them in advance so you're not disappointed. I think you'll need to arrange to tour the white house in advance also, but I'm not sure on that one.

If you have the time, it's worth it to take a trip out to see Mt. Vernon (where George Washington lived) or Monticello (where Jefferson lived). The kids would like that because they can run around on the grounds.

I would also go to a show at the Kennedy Center if you have time. The building itself is really impressive and they usually have enough going on that there's something worth seeing.

If you make it to the National Zoo (another great one for the kids) don't miss the rainforest exhibit. You actually feel like you're walking through the jungle with the birds and little monkeys in the trees around you (with no barriers). It's very cool.

As far as driving in DC, I wouldn't recommend it. The driving part isn't so bad, but if you want to actually get out of the car parking can be a nightmare. The metro is great and easy to get around on, and there are plenty of cabs.

I've never been up in the Washington Monument, but I'm sure it's worth doing. Pick a day to do that and get in line early!

I've only been to Baltimore a handful of times so I can't really comment on it. It seems like any other city to me, while DC is special.

Thanks everyone for all the replys. We are all getting excitied to see DC and then go on our canada new england cruise. Can anyone recommend a clean centrally located hotel for kids in DC?? We plan on doing the trolley tour and getting out there. no car this trip..

Thanks

Archived