General Immersion Thread (merged)

Would you cruise an immerson cruise?  

493 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise an immerson cruise?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - It depends how much I know about how the cruise will differ from regular cruises.

They should do it at the time of booking. Many people buy their air as soon as the airlines release the bookings. People need to know before.

I agree with this.

I have no problem with RCCL offering immersion cruises. However passengers should be made aware when they are booking instead of finding out a few months before sailing.

This whole immersion thing is really starting to grind my gears. For all those people who think folks are cancelling their trips because they are afraid of other cultures and so on are way off the mark. The whole point of this is the fact that if people wanted total immersion they would have booked with a line that is Native to that country e.g P & O for the Brits.

People booked their cruises with RCCL for a reason - they like their product, they like what the ship has to offer by way of food and entertainment, has anybody even stopped to ask the Chinese if they want this immersion style cruising? If they did I am sure they would have booked with a line that caters for them and their needs, but they picked RCCL and all it has to offer in its wonderful 'American'ness, did anyone stop to think maybe they want American style cruising too and thats why they booked RCCL! I know as a Brit I do not want British style cruising, otherwise I would have booked it, I dont understand why that point is so hard for people to grasp.

Sheesh, people work hard and save hard for their much earned trips, they want to know what they are getting, that their children wont feel isolated in the clubs because nobody can speak their language, to be able to understand the entertainment and dinner conversations, to know they wont have a tour canceled because of no English speaking guides, most of all they just want to relax, have fun and enjoy their cruise, which is why they picked RCCL in the first place. If they want adventure then they would book adventure.

Well said.

I have no problem with RCCL offering immersion cruises - however I think it should be advertised that way so people know before they book.

Immersion was clearly explained to me by the CSR and by the Crown & Anchor Rep as: first language being the immersion language. That includes announcments, flyers etc...also menus are not in English, entertainment is not in English, retail is product that we are not familiar with, people will smoke openly...and, most important to us, excursions will NOT be in English...unless you have a certain quota the excursion that you booked could and will be cancelled at a moment's notice. It must be a total immersion when we are told that there would be English "helpers"! Uh-huh, but how many ? Say there are 200 "Americans" on board, will one or two helpers be sufficient? I think not!

The world usually has a working knowledge of English...We Americans do not have a working knowledge of Chinese/Mandarin...

I do not think that RCI would be personally calling booked passengers and TAs if this were not a significant change!

What I don't get is that the website still has not made mention of immersion...Any lawyers out there that can address this????[/quote]

I was wondering how long it would be until someone called for the lawyers. :D

Ray in NH

One has to wonder if we are going to see more of these if airfare gets out of hand. You could see a lot less Americans on board and more locals from the European markets on board.

I think that the airfare prices as well as the very weak U.S. Dollar are both significant factors and yes, I think these immersion cruises may become the norm. I do agree that there should have been ample notice if the cruise experience is going to be much different than a traditional Royal Caribbean experience.

The only description I can give you all about 450 English speaking pax being embedded amongst 1500+ Portuguese pax.............it was like they were given a 2 week leave from a local prison. This is what we experienced on our recent TA on Splendour and unfortunately we were not forewarned prior to booking or sailing.

Having been on the same Splendour cruise, we did not feel like we were among 1500 passengers who were on a 2 week leave from prison. I will agree that many of them did not grasp the concept of waiting for their turn, instead of barging to the head of the line. We met a number of very nice Brazilians. One gentleman and I had an interesting conversation despite the fact that I speak no Portuguese (except for a very few simple phrases), and he spoke no English.

It didn't matter what language one spoke to enjoy the juggler/plate twirler (if you like that kind of stuff, I don't). The production shows were in English, with some English/Portuguese songs; the aerialists were French, and extremely talented -- language didn't matter; the Temptations tribute was in English (at least Motown English). However, for us the shows are not a major part of cruising. We did enjoy the music and watching the dancing in the Centrum each evening -- the place was packed with people having a good time. Unfortunately, there were some pax who tended to ignore the "no smoking" rules in some areas.

Ray in NH

I assume as they do now, they will carefully try to put people together based on language and culture. Because I'm Canadian, I often end up at a table with Brits, which suits me just fine. As for the currency, it isn't a major deal for me. I assume that the prices will be similar, just in their local currency. I only have my had earned Canadian dollars to spend. I just don't expect that the rest of the world will use my currency. What do you do in foreign ports? Pay in US dollars? Sorry, but I use the local currency when I'm in a foreign country, I never expect them to take Canadian dollars.

Actually, I've used American Dollars every where I've traveled and I have been on many cruises out of the USA. I think US dollars were received happily everywhere until our recent devaluation.

I want to understand the entertainers, the tour directors and be able to read all the handouts and the menu's in English. If I can't enjoy my cruise why bother going.

I have been reading these threads with interest. One cruise I would not enjoy would be Latin American. I am immersed at work, I vacation to get away from work.

The British one would not be a stretch, so probably not a concern. Just got off a cruise that was more people from Canada than the US. Those are great people to cruise with. Second time we did that short cruise to Vancouver.

The Asian one, right now no. But if I planned and knew in advance before booking it might be fun. Research the stuff and if language classes were offered, it could really be a great experience.

A lot of the confusion and this is just my opinion CSR is speculating and giving that out as fact. A common complaint on most cruise lines is CSR does not know what it is talking about. Our next cruise is again to Canada. It they decide to immerse us, I sure wish Anne Murray was on board to sing.

As far as money in foreign ports, we just use the credit card. Unless it is Mexico, but I understand Mexico. We tend to just eat lunch in ports to try local foods and only buy holiday gifts if we see something unique for someone. So converion fees if we paid them would not be a huge issue. We don't cruise to shop. Just show us some old historical sight.

:(

Wow!!!!!! So you are taking a cruise in Asia and the majority of passengers are Asian and the ship should cater to one of the minority groups of passengers, Americans. Wow!!! :(

By the way, as of the 2000 census, Fort Lee's population was 63% white and 32% Asian, not anywhere near 90% Asian.:confused:

To be honest with you, your post is offensive to Asian Americans.

Actually, we are not taking the Rhapsody Asian cruise, too rich for my pocketbook. However, RCI marketed this as a way to see unusual and distinctive ports and areas, but with an American style and then pulled a switch which is why people are upset.

You don't know me, what I do for a living, etc. You can see where I live and my recent cruise history. My clients, many of whom come from around the world (Asia, Africa, Europe) all get along fine with me.

If you ever come to the NY area, go out to Queens at night. Straight out of a James Bond movie, every sign on every store is Chinese and Korean, even the burger chains. I know because I have 4 restaurant clients there, love the samplings they give me when I go out quarterly. But the samplings are geared to a Western Palate.

So your snide comment (s) are based on extremely limited information, with a large touch of elitism and snobbery. When we travel abroad, because of foot problems (I sometimes walk slowly) we don't book tours but usually use local transportation such as railways, busses and subways. I have no trouble navigating in foreign areas, making myself understood in languages I don't understand using sign language, pointing, etc.

So enough already.

And I do hope our upcoming Indy TA has all the British touches left, I love bangers and mashed.

Cheers ! and G'Day

We just sailed from Valparaiso, Chile to Santos, Brazil. The vast majority of people on that sailing were American, never met anyone from Chile. Not sure that your sarcasm holds a lot of credance. When we sailed Jewel in 2006 out of Harwich, there were quite a number of Brits onboard, but again the overwhelming majority were American. I would expect that there would be significant numbers of American passengers on most cruises, unless I was informed by RCI that they were catering to a specific market. If RCI is serious about immersion cruises, I think that it is a good thing that they are upfront about it. Unfortunately they appear to have introduced it without any prior warning at booking time.

The cruise after Valparaiso-Santos was Santos to Lisbon and English speaking passengers, that included anyone that wasn't Brazilian or Portuguese, numbered just over 300. Needless to say many things were catered to that majority, including the shows. Portuguese language comedians just don't seem to be as funny, to me, as English speaking ones. The Brazilian Elvis impersonator was funny, not good, but entertaining.

The cruise was certainly not an experience I would like to repeat.

jbond,

The Brazilian comedian (supposedly famous) was one show out of fouteen nights, and it was specified in the Cruise Compass that this show would be Portuguese only. The Elvis impersonator didn't speak a lot of English, just his certain set phrases geared to English speaking audiences, but he sang most of the Elvis songs in English. Sort of the same way many opera singers, who don't understand Italian, sing Italian operas. As you said he was entertaining.

I'm not sure we are saddened by the fact that we did not know what the demographics of the TA portion would be. We might have had second thoughts about the cruise. That would have been a shame; we enjoyed that cruise. Granted some aspects could have been better, but we do not feel cheated.

Ray in NH

So you two would have no objections on cruising the Rhapsody where Chinese is the language of the menus, entertainment, announcements, guided tours, etc. and where everybody is smoking all over the ship. And where even the stuff in the stores is geared towards the Chinese.

FWIW there is no such language as Chinese.

There is Mandarin and there is Cantonese. Different parts of China speak different languages.

RCCL will have to decide which language to use, and will still have to cater for people from other Asian nations (Jaopan, Viet Nam, Thailand), who are not Chinese. I'm sure that, somewhere in that mix, English speakers will also be catered for.

Well, hopefully we will meet on one of them, then! I assume they will pick the language of the most foreign passengers based on where the ship leaves from.

I assume as they do now, they will carefully try to put people together based on language and culture. Because I'm Canadian, I often end up at a table with Brits, which suits me just fine. As for the currency, it isn't a major deal for me. I assume that the prices will be similar, just in their local currency. I only have my had earned Canadian dollars to spend. I just don't expect that the rest of the world will use my currency. What do you do in foreign ports? Pay in US dollars? Sorry, but I use the local currency when I'm in a foreign country, I never expect them to take Canadian dollars.

Royal Caribbean is an International cruise line with offices around the world. Their clientèle come from many backgrounds. They don't only sell tickets to Americans. Do you think that only Americans are allowed to fly on American Airlines? When they fly into Montreal the announcements are made in English and French. When I flew on Air Canada to Santiago and Buenos Aires, the announcements were made in Spanish as well. The reality is that American passengers are actually less financially viable today then foreign passengers. Between the reluctance to pay high air fares as they spiral out of control because of the price of oil. The fact that there is a recession in the US and less people are travelling. And the reality that they can charge more to a European for the same berth, the reality is that RCL needs to fill the ship the most profitable.

I carefully did not point to ANYONE in particular, but clearly there were man xenophobic messages in this thread. I'm not the only one who noticed it, I'm just the person who had the guts to call a spade a spade. I've carefully never pointed out anyone, nore have I suggested that it was anyone in particular. On the other hand, clearly going on an American ship, eating American food, speaking American English and wanting everything to be American is xenophobic. If I am on a cruise in South America, I want to experience South America and I understand that I might be in the minority.

Further, when I am on a South America cruise and the dinner menu is decided in an office in the US and their South American dinner has "Mexican ceviche" on the menu, you have to wonder what they were thinking. And the "landfall" dinner for Valpariso, Chile included Tom Young Turkey, which is about as South American as Perogi.

Can we attempt to discuss this without the xenophobia. I sympathize with those who booked a cruise and then found out that it wasn't what it was supposed to be. On the other hand the cruise line made no promises in regards to language and food, other than there was going to be language spoken and food served. I've been on a cruise out of Spain where they had a completely different set of activities in Spanish, including Spanish trivia. I thought it was great and very apt, being that the cruise left from Barcelona. I was expecting the ship prices to be in Euros on the ship because it was jus plain ODD to be spending dollars in Europe, at least as far as I was concerned. I was actually surprised when it wasn't.

Very well said.

To CG did it ever occur to you or, anyone else for that matter that maybe these cruises are selling much better in the local markets than RCI possibly planned for, thus they possibly never thought they would have to do this. I would think that if a cruise has a very large percentage of locals booked, then RCI may want to try and make their experience more geared to their culture, and possbly keep some repeat business. Again they don't just cater to the american pax. If RCI really wanted to show no compassion at all to the American, or even Canadian, or English pax, then why would they even bother to contact them and let them know what is happening.

FWIW there is no such language as Chinese.

There is Mandarin and there is Cantonese. Different parts of China speak different languages.

RCCL will have to decide which language to use, and will still have to cater from people from other Asian nations (Jaopan, Viet Nam, Thailand), who are not Chinese. I'm sure that, somewhere in that mix, English speakers will also be catered for.

I love Cantonese food, my fav. Szechuan too rich for me, what with acid reflux. I still mourn the demise of the China Bowl on W. 44th:( .

DW is very experimental, foodwise, and if we could afford it, would even like to try the Immersian Asian cruise.

I would assume that the ship would group the few English speakers together for dinner. And the WJ might be interesting, since by trial and error I could figure out which of the unusual stuff would be OK. And I would get menu ideas from my many Asian restauranteurs.

BUT, the line has to tell in advance that it is an immersion cruise. Not proper the way they did it.

I am not surprised at all since the $ is going South as Oil goes North. After the TA I have no overseas cruises booked, will wait to see what happens with the exchange rates, etc.

Long live the Explorer out of NY.

Very well said.

To CG did it ever occur to you or, anyone else for that matter that maybe these cruises are selling much better in the local markets than RCI possibly planned for, thus they possibly never thought they would have to do this. I would think that if a cruise has a very large percentage of locals booked, then RCI may want to try and make their experience more geared to their culture, and possbly keep some repeat business. Again they don't just cater to the american pax. If RCI really wanted to show no compassion at all to the American, or even Canadian, or English pax, then why would they even bother to contact them and let them know what is happening.

Yes it did occur to me that they are doing this and that's fine but it is RCI's responsibility to let their guests know what type of experience to expect on board. This is a change for RCI. We have not seen this in the past. We're not as stupid as you and a few others have tried to make us out to be.:rolleyes:

Yes it did occur to me that they are doing this and that's fine but it is RCI's responsibility to let their guests know what type of experience to expect on board. This is a change for RCI. We have not seen this in the past.

This is very true. At least notify pax beforehand.

Actually, I've used American Dollars every where I've traveled and I have been on many cruises out of the USA. I think US dollars were received happily everywhere until our recent devaluation.

I want to understand the entertainers, the tour directors and be able to read all the handouts and the menu's in English. If I can't enjoy my cruise why bother going.

Well, you have been ripped off everywhere you have been. In Canada we generally discount the exchange rate by 5% to 10% of the real rate. For example, when the USD and CAD were at par, stores (including places like McDonald's) were giving exchange rates from 90c to 95c.

It's a major hassle for Canadians to accept payment in USD. The banks charge us a fee to deposit USD and convert it to CAD. I imagine that it's just as bad, if not worse in Europe. Everyone is happy to take it... because they are making a few extra percentage on it. If they couldn't, they wouldn't accept it at all.

The point here is that the MAIN language is the local language, not the ONLY language.

Well, I assume that means that you won't ever be going to Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, Luxemburg, Czech Republic... etc. since they don't have cruise ships that go and everything is in a foreign language.

On the other hand, I've been to almost every country in Western Europe, been down to South America and even as far as the Sinai Peninsula and I only speak three languages. I don't speak any Italian or Spanish and yet I have spent time in both Italy and Spain (not to mention Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Mexico) and enjoyed myself. Eating the local food and drinking the local drink. I've survived ordering from a menu that I didn't understand from a waiter who spoke no English. It's all about understanding that it is I who has the problem because I can't speak their language, when I am a guest visiting their culture.

As I said, this is going off a deep end. The point of going to Europe is to experience Europe. To eat American food (and yes, much of it is actually shipped from the US) on a ship in American English and using American money isn't the European Experience. Have you ever seen what it's like to try to find out the temperature from the perspective of someone who uses metric? Maybe I should travel to the US and try to see what it's like to try and pay in CAD or EUR. Do you think that the stores will "happily" accept it?

To me most of this doesn't even sound like a real European trip. You might as well go to EPCOT instead.

Well, you have been ripped off everywhere you have been. In Canada we generally discount the exchange rate by 5% to 10% of the real rate. For example, when the USD and CAD were at par, stores (including places like McDonald's) were giving exchange rates from 90c to 95c.

It's a major hassle for Canadians to accept payment in USD. The banks charge us a fee to deposit USD and convert it to CAD. I imagine that it's just as bad, if not worse in Europe. Everyone is happy to take it... because they are making a few extra percentage on it. If they couldn't, they wouldn't accept it at all.

The point here is that the MAIN language is the local language, not the ONLY language.

Well, I assume that means that you won't ever be going to Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, Luxemburg, Czech Republic... etc. since they don't have cruise ships that go and everything is in a foreign language.

On the other hand, I've been to almost every country in Western Europe, been down to South America and even as far as the Sinai Peninsula and I only speak three languages. I don't speak any Italian or Spanish and yet I have spent time in both Italy and Spain (not to mention Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Mexico) and enjoyed myself. Eating the local food and drinking the local drink. I've survived ordering from a menu that I didn't understand from a waiter who spoke no English. It's all about understanding that it is I who has the problem because I can't speak their language, when I am a guest visiting their culture.

As I said, this is going off a deep end. The point of going to Europe is to experience Europe. To eat American food (and yes, much of it is actually shipped from the US) on a ship in American English and using American money isn't the European Experience. Have you ever seen what it's like to try to find out the temperature from the perspective of someone who uses metric? Maybe I should travel to the US and try to see what it's like to try and pay in CAD or EUR. Do you think that the stores will "happily" accept it?

To me most of this doesn't even sound like a real European trip. You might as well go to EPCOT instead.

I understand your point but understand mine. I prefer guided tours with an english speaking guide to get the most out of my vacation. I don't care to play charade, I want to know what I'm ordering on a menu and see the sights while having it explained to me in a language I understand. I want to be picked up at the airport and transported to my hotel by the tour company.

I've been to Epcot and enjoyed it tremenously but there's more to see in the world :D

Thiis has been an interesting thread but now it is going nowhere. No one has been able to answer the underlying economic dilemma: If a U.S. brand cruise line cannot attract enough American bookings to satisfy its sales projections, should it refuse foreign bookings and sail perhaps half-empty? Even though the exclusively American-oriented format is no longer economically viable?

Let's hear from posters how that situation should be handled.

As far as I am concerned, the introduction of all these megaships has made immersion an economic necessity. When you accommodate 3,000+ PAx, that's one hell of a lot of cabins to fill from week to week.

On another matter.

Although my ethnic origin is drastically different, I was offended when a poster complained about Puerto Ricans patronizing San Juan cruises. Aren't they Americans, too? If they choose to speak Spanish and stick to their cultural heritage, that is their right and no one else's concern. I am appalled by this kind of bigotry.

Now, having said that, let me note that of all the Caribbean ports we have visited -- and we have visited most of them -- the San Juan terminal presents the worst linguistic challenges. Try to find an English speaking official or security officer. Whoever hires these people should have the smarts to know that it is common courtesy to offer bilingual service at a major gateway.

Well, after reading all of those i have pieced together what my buddy in Irchester has been talking about. He said he loves Chip Buddys, so basically that is a French Fry sandwich.?????..Ughhh...I love absolutely love England and have some close friends who live there but a French fry Sandwich!

It is a chip butty and it consists of hot chips (french fries) in a bun, and in Australia we put vinegar or tomato sauce (ketchup) on top of the chips..!!

hello:

we have been booked on this cruise for a very long time. all of a sudden, we got a phone call from rccl informing us that our cruise, which leaves out of southhampton on aug 8 on indy will be a british immersion cruise, i.e., all food, entertainment and staff will be british.

we have a daughter who eats pizza, plain pastas, rice, steamed veggies. when i called rccl and asked about the pizza, i got an "i'm not sure" and the pasta was a "don't count on it." our daughter does not eat meat, turkey or chicken.

we are a international family who enjoy eating around the world. however, we have always been able to find something along the lines of carb/veggie heavy meal for our daughter to eat.

can anyone lend any insight into what exactly is british food and how this may affect our daughter. and please. i do not need anyone counseling me on my daughter's nutrition and how i am feeding her. (sorry i had to say that!)

i am looking for responses that specifically address how other families that have young american kids have reacted to british food specifically.

thanks, thanks and more thanks!

They don't have pizza in Britain?

Look forward to a lot of boiled meat and peas. You can eat the peas with your knife if you use the mash as an adhesive. :D

Be sure that you don't switch your fork to your right hand after you cut your meat, they absolutely hate it when Americans do that.

I understand your point but understand mine. I prefer guided tours with an english speaking guide to get the most out of my vacation. I don't care to play charade, I want to know what I'm ordering on a menu and see the sights while having it explained to me in a language I understand. I want to be picked up at the airport and transported to my hotel by the tour company.

I've been to Epcot and enjoyed it tremenously but there's more to see in the world :D

They aren't saying that English won't be spoken, that the menu won't be available in English and that tours in English won't be offered. What RCL seems to be saying (from all the posts that are here) is that English will be the second language and not the first. This won't be a floating piece of Americana but instead a real International trip, including having local dishes on the menu and the local language spoken.

If what you are seeking is the idealistic world of never having to deal with anything really European on a European trip, then EPCOT is a better choice. For everyone else, a little rain must fall. You can't really experience Europe without having to deal with a foreign language or two, some foreign food and some Euros.

As for me, I still want a list of these trips... this is cruising to a wonderful new level and I finally want to cruise in Europe, not simply to and from.

I have yet to do a European cruise, but look forward to an opportunity to do so. Personally I would choose to get a taste of Europe by cruise ship primarily because I know that my accommodation would be safe, comfortable and consistent. If I wanted a truly European experience, I would do a land stay. Instead, I want to know that the menu is familiar, guest services are provided in English, entertainment is something I'd really enjoy and beds, bathrooms, etc fit an American standard of cleanliness, etc. Call it what you want, but this is where I'm comfortable - willing to venture off the ship and out of my comfort zone for just a "taste of Europe", but not interested in immersion.

That said, I would not book - or would definitely cancel - an "immersion cruise". I understand why the cruise lines might need to offer them, but it's not for me.

I have yet to do a European cruise, but look forward to an opportunity to do so. Personally I would choose to get a taste of Europe by cruise ship primarily because I know that my accommodation would be safe, comfortable and consistent. If I wanted a truly European experience, I would do a land stay. Instead, I want to know that the menu is familiar, guest services are provided in English, entertainment is something I'd really enjoy and beds, bathrooms, etc fit an American standard of cleanliness, etc. Call it what you want, but this is where I'm comfortable - willing to venture off the ship and out of my comfort zone for just a "taste of Europe", but not interested in immersion.

That said, I would not book - or would definitely cancel - an "immersion cruise". I understand why the cruise lines might need to offer them, but it's not for me.

Are you kidding? Do you really expect the cabins to change? The ship not being safe anymore? The rooms not being cleaned?:confused:

ETA: BTW I have seen worse hotel rooms in the US than in Europe. It always depends on your choosen type of accomodation and it can be good or bad all over the world.

Are you kidding? Do you really expect the cabins to change? The ship not being safe anymore? The rooms not being cleaned?:confused:

ETA: BTW I have seen worse hotel rooms in the US than in Europe. It always depends on your choosen type of accomodation and it can be good or bad all over the world.

Of course not, get real (and get a hobby or something!)

By "accommodation", I'm referring to the whole package, the entire experience. My room is part of that (and part of the reason I'd choose to cruise). But my concern about an "immersion" cruise is the language, menus and entertainment. I prefer to stay on a ship and escape back to my comfort zone at night.

Geez...

I swear' date=' I didn't realize there were so many people who lived in such small boxes! Poor Americans....we think we rule the world and it's seas.... We've yet to accept the fact that we share the planet with several billions of people who have the same right and access to vacations and cruises as we do.

Many of us are so unbelievably intolerant and so fearful of those different from ourselves.

How very sad.[/quote']

G'ma, in defence of you and all Americans, I do not believe for a second Americans are intolerant and fearful of those different from them. Indeed, Americans are about the most generous and giving people on the planet. I know the "stories" (quite humorous :)) are many but they do not represent the entire spectrum of America's population. These same "stories" apply to people from all other countries as well. America is a powerful nation whose reach is worldwide, this alone can make it a target. Unjustifiable IMHO.

BTW, I hope all of our American friends have a safe and great Memorial Day weekend!! :)

P.S. What is an immersion cruise? :D I have read most of the thread and I still don't get it. Does it matter? And where the heck did our Canadian immersion thread go? Either I'm blind or its gone somewhere.

I do not believe for a second Americans are intolerant and fearful of those different from them.

P.S. What is an immersion cruise? :D I have read most of the thread and I still don't get it. Does it matter? .

Yes it obviously matters as are there are a number of American's who are fearful of another countries food, language and ways of doing things and cruising means they can visit another country without actually having to really "go" there, so for them its a safer option. (note I didn't say intolerant - I don't believe that the majority are intolerant, just a bit scared).

Personally I'm more than happy backpacking around the Middle East and have had many an episode trying to describe having the runs in a foreign chemist to someone with no English, but to me that's half the challenge. But I can understand why people are worried about it. However, the more immersed you get, the more understanding you get and its easy to become less fearful of new places with practice as most people in the end are lovely, regardless of where they are from or how much money they have.

Archived