Is this a problem?

tabbycat1

Generally, if you do not use the outbound portion of the ticket, the computer will automatically cancel the return, because according to the airlines records, you never got to your destination and therefore would not be returning.

Is there a problem or penalty with purchasing a round trip airline ticket but only using the return portion of the ticket?

There sure is. If you aren't on the outbound portion of the ticket, you won't be allowed to use the return.

I found this out two years ago when we had an unexpected death in our immediate family less than two weeks before we were to sail. My DH and I were booked on Delta. After we got the news, I got my DH the only remaining seat on a flight to the west coast the next morning. It wasn't on DL, just the fastest flight I could find. I had planned on using our previously booked flight and would meet him in Fla a couple of days prior to the cruise. Luckily I called Delta and got a very patient, compassionate service rep who informed me that all parties booked on a flight must check in together. If any one was absent, no one on that ticket was flying. He worked with me, cancelled our original ticket, rebooked the outbound portion in my name only and made the necessary arrangements to fly my DH from the west coast to Fla. There was an additional cost but that was to be expected. It was quite an experience but thankfully I had a good agent on my side.

2P.P1

Generally, if you do not use the outbound portion of the ticket, the computer will automatically cancel the return, because according to the airlines records, you never got to your destination and therefore would not be returning.

What if you book a round trip but make the "return" portion the first leg then just don't take the flight back since you are already home?

Archived