Alaska outerwear (for men and women)

KimmyinLA

We're leaving for Alaska in two weeks. I don't really have a "rain jacket" but I do have a North Face ski jacket that has a waterproof shell and a zip out lining. Should this suffice? I figure if it's not that cold I can just use the shell as a raincoat? Or will I look like an idiot wearing a ski jacket when everyone else has a raincoat?

You will be fine!!! When I was in Alaska in June, I saw quite a variety of outer garments. Staying dry and warm is all that matters. Having a zipout lining is perfect. You should be ready for any kind of weather. Enjoy Alaska!!

I would recommend a zip out lining or no lining at all and just go with a fleece or sweater under a waterproof/windproof shell. If a lined jacket gets wet thru the lining it can take a long time to dry.... thus layers, layers.....:)

I would recommend a zip out lining or no lining at all and just go with a fleece or sweater under a waterproof/windproof shell. If a lined jacket gets wet thru the lining it can take a long time to dry.... thus layers, layers.....:)

That's a great suggestion!! This is exactly what we did and it worked really well. I lived in my fleece pullover on our excursions as it provided just the right amount of warmth without feeling too heavy. On the few occasions when it rained a bit, I had a lightweight waterproof shell that I could throw on over my fleece to keep dry. It rolled up into a small pouch and took up hardly any room at all. I just kept it in our excursion backpack.

That's a great suggestion!! This is exactly what we did and it worked really well. I lived in my fleece pullover on our excursions as it provided just the right amount of warmth without feeling too heavy. On the few occasions when it rained a bit, I had a lightweight waterproof shell that I could throw on over my fleece to keep dry. It rolled up into a small pouch and took up hardly any room at all. I just kept it in our excursion backpack.

Mary,

Where did you get the jacket in a pouch? That might be just what I'm looking for.

judyf - I just purchased similar items from Bass Pro Shop last weekend. Found them with the expensive rain gear. The jacket and pants are sold separately for $29.00 and they are rolled up in a small mesh carrier that will be perfect to throw in our back packs incase we need them.

Sizes - small to xxxlrg.

We just got back 2 weeks ago and the sun came out a lot and it was jeans and tee shirt weather. A fleece jacket should be fine depending on your excursions. I also took earmuffs, gloves and a scarf and only wore them once while on the whale watching tour. The item of clothing I wore the most, was a cheap unlined rain slicker that weighed next to nothing. I wrapped it around my waist when it got warm out. It came in handy when the clouds were low and it was misty and foggy out and when it decided to sprinkle rain here and there I put the hood up and kept dry.

I just ordered a new jacket from www.zappos.com. Yes the shoe people. They have a nice selection of all the name brands. I found an IceBreaker jacket on sale $50 off that I mooned over all last winter but didn't buy for myself.

IceBreaker is New Zealand wool. I plan to wear it with a completely waterproof outer shell.

Why do I always buy for the rest of the family before I buy something nice for myself?

:D There are a lot of us like that. I bought everyone else a fleece jacket then a month later realised I should order my own.

Yes, actually it was this thread and all the folks getting organized for Alaska cruises that made me look hard at what I've been wearing for cold weather. My 'newest' jacket is 8 years old! I kept thinking, it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter.

Shabby chic can only go so far!

I looked at the links some folks posted and begin to feel the need for something nice to wear.

Thanks for all the encouragement! Well, I really needed a shove!

Pipedreams - you need to warn me next time! I almost spit out my coffee - that is hilarious!

Here is the raincoat I purchased. I decided I wanted something packable, breathable and waterproof - and I wanted something I would wear again. Because rain often comes with wind - I want to protect more than the waist up (although they do have shorter lengths.)

Ps - this raincoat is on sale right now (travelsmith)

spacer01.gif

We just got back Sunday. Fairbanks was warm, long sleeves, no jacket. Denali, wore a fleece jacket with long sleeves under. MCkinley, all rain. Anchorage, fleece jacket with long sleeves under. Whittier, warm, warm, warm. Was sunny and close to 70. Glacier Bay, the sun came out and it was nice. I wore my fleece but no need for hat and gloves. Skagway, cold, cold, cold. It was about 43 degrees (that was on July 22). Juneau, cold and rainy. Ketchikan, sunny and close to 70! My husband talked me out of taking my warm winter coat. I told him that is the last time I am listening to him. I had to buy a warm waterproof jacket for both myself and my daughter. But he did admit that he should have packed more warm stuff. On the whale watch in Juneau I wore a t-shirt, fleece shirt, fleece north face jacket and a heavier waterproof jacket i bought in port, plus my hat and gloves.

• 7 months later...

Sorry as this post is long overdue!

I just wanted to follow up to my original post. We did the inside passage in the first week of June 2008. I thought I had gone overboard with ordering the fleece gloves, scarf and earband... but all came in very handy.

Weather varied quite a bit... from very warm to very cold (but then again, I'm in SoCal and I consider 65 really cold). We did a whale watching excursion and I was bundled up and comfortable being on top of the boat almost during the entire ride.

I also found the accessories great for the days we were cruising by the glaciers.

I would highly recommend the type of rain jacket that has a hood and a fleece that can be zipped inside. Very versatile.

But what I didn't know was that you can buy these pretty inexpensively at the ports! We saw them everywhere for less than $30 or $40. So if you don't already have one or can't buy them easily at home, I wouldn't worry. You can pick one up from Alaska and it would make a great "working" souvenir.

Hope this helps:)

Oh, forgot to add...

I also recently tried the women's Aquacheck jacket from Landsend for a trip to Ireland in October. I bought it because it can "fold up into a little pouch" but I found that in reality, this was not a very convenient feature.

It was a pain to unfold it and a bigger pain to refold it back in. So if you plan to order one of these, I would suggest trying out the fold/unfolding before you commit (clearly I had not thought of this). As a previous poster mentioned, it was easy to return it to a local Sears.

Lastly, I didn't like this jacket because you had to wear a long-sleeve or else it was like wearing plastic in extreme humidity... yuck. So if you're looking for a rain "shell" -- look for one that's lightly lined so you can still wear a short sleeve with it.

I realize these are all tips that many people in various parts of the country would know... but growing up in Las Vegas and living in LA, I had no clue:o

Kimmy, your comments are very pertinent - we, too, are in LA - born and raised - so this cold weather thing is also foreign to us. Our trip on SilverSea to Alaska, RT Vancouver, begins on June 7 so we are going at the same time you did last year. I hadn't thought about something for my ears, other than a hat - but it seems from your comments that my rain jacket that has a zip out hood will be fine. Everyone says layering is the key, so that's what we will do. I did get some waterproof boots, (they look like hiking boots) and a good walking shoe for our excursions. The first full day of our cruise we spend cruising by the Sawyer glacier, so I imagine the cold radiating from that will make being on board outside pretty, pretty cold!

Wondering what excursions you liked the best - we are planning to take the railroad trip in Skagway, and a boat trip to Misty Fjords from I guess its Ketchikan, but our ship only makes 4 port stops - the other two are Wrangell and Juneau.......

Glenda

Thanks for sharing. It always helps to read what others had done at different times of the season. I got a 3 in 1 jacket at 50% off at LL Bean. I think it will work fine and I can use it again in NY :)

Thanks

Glenda,

Happy to help. We weren't on top of it so when we tried to do the train, it was all booked... so instead, we rented a car and drove. I think that was my favorite excursion since we were on our own time and my husband got to stop whenever to take photos.

Yes, layering is definitely key. I was just looking at some of our Alaska pics and I forgot that I also took a fleece hat. And yes, I wore the earband, fleece hat *and* the hood on my coat (with the strings tightened). Of course, I didn't stay bundled like that constantly, but when I got cold, it was nice not to be uncomfortable. The pictures all came out cute because I ordered all of the accessories in pink and they really "popped" against the background. I felt silly buying pink but now I love it. I got so many complements... so if you feel bold, choose a color instead of black.

I just remembered... in Seattle I bought a few pairs of yoga pants from the Nike store. And they came in handy because I wore them under my jeans on port days. My husband took "long johns" (?) thinking he wouldn't really need them, but he ended up using it. He's not a weather wimp like I am, but he was glad to be warm and comfortable.

As for excursions, we did a whale watching tour in Juneau and I would not do that again. We used a company that is highly recommended on these boards, but for what you actually got for the high price, really wasn't worth it imho.

As for excursions, we did a whale watching tour in Juneau and I would not do that again. We used a company that is highly recommended on these boards, but for what you actually got for the high price, really wasn't worth it imho.

I already have this booked and too late to cancell without a fee. I hope your excursion is a little better then your adventure was.

Archived