Large man in airline seat

Muumuu

Hubby is 6'3" and about 250 with broad shoulders. As I have not flown much, ever, how will he do in coach seats? First class is more than twice as much as coach. Will fly Delta if that makes a difference.

He's gonna kill me if he knew I asked this but I must know for his comfort.

Hubby is 6'3" and about 250 with broad shoulders. As I have not flown much, ever, how will he do in coach seats? First class is more than twice as much as coach. Will fly Delta if that makes a difference.

I am 5'9" and 300 and I was okay in the seats, but I had a few moments of anxiety as i can get when I am in a super crowded space. I know next time I will wait for a while to get on the plane. And we were on the smaller planes that had 2 seats on each side of the aisle. but it wasn't too bad.

Coach on most airlines these days is uncomfortable for most of us. I'm 5'9" and weight proportionate and the leg room is awful. I upgrade when able just for the leg room. I feel for those with larger dimensions and there is nothing worse than seeing a 6'+ person wedged into those seats. If you can swing an upgrade at the airport (asking is always free) you never know what can happen.

I'm 6'5" and about 225. My problem is leg room. When someone in front reclines their seat my knees are jammed. :eek: The only way I can be comfortable is to "strattle" their seat back.

When we returned from Tahiti we were fortunate and got a bulk head...... what a relief...:)

I'm about an inch shorter... :eek: no... not that way... :D and 25 lbs lighter, with broad shoulders and do not have an issue with seating.

I woud think he would be fine.

Have a great trip. :)

I am 6' 7" and weigh about 240. I always ask for an exit row seat. There is a ton of leg room and the seats in from of you do not recline. So get to the airport early and when you check in volunteer for the exit row.

He is going to be cramped especially if they add 2 other big guys next to him, 1st class is the way to go, we did 1st class this past April for our Freedom cruise from Vegas to Miami and life was good, no kinked necks or swollen cramped legs. His other option is to book the Emergency Window seat or the Bulkhead seats, those provide more leg room.

Fred

I am 6'0" and 240 lbs, with broad shoulders. So, we are probably the same build.

I have no problem at all in coach seats, and I fly a lot.

There is one condition: I would NOT be comfortable in a middle seat on a flight longer than 1 hour. So, I always get a window or aisle seat.

Book a window or aisle, and he's going to me more than comfortable. I've flown 8 hours to Hawaii and Europe in coach several times. No problem.

My son is 6'2", probably 150 pounds soaking wet and still growing. He is all legs, and I have to agree with chasetf, the leg room is generally not very comfortable for someone of that size. Might want to try and get an exit row.

On another note, I was once seated next to a VERY large gentleman on a flight, luckily a shorter flight. He was already seated and I am not exaggerating when I say he spilled over into a big portion of my seat. There was no way I could even begin to put the armrest down (I am 5'5" and weight 130). Not wanting to embarrass him, I squeezed in best as I could and made do. Had that been a long flight, like the one to Puerto Rico, I might have had to say something because it was cramped and very uncomfortable.

My husband is 6'4" and 360. We flew to Moscow 2 years ago and he was miserable! However, I weigh the same and at 5'7" I have no problem as long as I don't have another large person next to me. He won't fly at all any more, but I do with family and no problem. Now, I don't ever want to be on a 9 hour flight again, but 3 or 4 I can handle. Arm rest come up and also on the aisle the arm rest will come up and more room there. don't worry too much, its only a small part of your trip

Hi Muumuu -

I'm six-one, and broad-shouldered (54 jacket). It can get cramped in coach after spending a couple of hours there.

All the suggestions above are good ones - exit row seating if possible, an aisle seat (just have to watch out for those drink carts coming down the aisle), or sometimes the seats just behind the exit row offer a respite because some exit row seats do not recline (the seat guru website can give you this info as long as you know what type of plane you're on).

One other recommendation - some aircraft have rows in coach that only contain two seats. My wife and I try to book them whever possible because she doesn't need all of her seat ... and that allows me to lean over and "borrow" some of her space :)

It's not unbearable, just uncomfortable. First class is nice, but in my opinion not worth doubling the cost of airfare.

Enjoy your trip!

-Eric

If you're thinking about purchasing a first class ticket, you might want to consider 2 coach seats. Believe it or not, it might be cheaper than purchasing just one first class seat.

Although they don't fly everywhere, airlines like Spirit Airlines offer "Big Front Seats" (the same as a first class seat) but at a fraction of what it would cost you to purchase a first class seat on a major airline.

I learned something new today. I never knew arm rests went up! A few weeks ago on Southwest there was a couple and both were quite large taking up the full 3 seats together. I jsut assumed the flight attendents had adjusted the seat for them. I didn't know passengers could lift the arm rests up. I do know they paid for those 3 seats as there was a problem with the head count when we stopped in Orlando. I heard the guy doing the head count questioning the flight attendent and her telling him they had purchased the 3 seats. I'm not sure I'd be too thrilled to find my seat missing it's arm rest and someone occupying a portion of my seat :( I thought if you couldn't fit into your seat you had to purchase 2 seats?

If you and your husband are travelling together, book a window and an aisle with the seat between you empty. The farther back, the better. Since middle seats are the last anyone wants, this increases your chances of having the row to yourself if the plane isn't full. If you do wind up with someone assigned to the middle seat between you, you can always ask him to switch with one of you, and he'll be glad to.

If you're thinking about purchasing a first class ticket, you might want to consider 2 coach seats. Believe it or not, it might be cheaper than purchasing just one first class seat.

Although they don't fly everywhere, airlines like Spirit Airlines offer "Big Front Seats" (the same as a first class seat) but at a fraction of what it would cost you to purchase a first class seat on a major airline.

My DW and I have used Spirit out of Detroit for that very reason - the extra space is great. It used to be that you got "business class" type amenities (free snacks, shorter check-in, etc..), but they've discontinued all that - now it's just the "Big Front Seat" (literally that's what it's called). The price isn't that much greater, the big problem is that Spirit only has flights at about half of the big airports in the US.

I would also go along with the "buy an extra seat recommendation" - if you're in a plane with a 3+3 configuration, you could take an aisle, spouse can take the window, and buy the middle seat between you both for "cushion". This means you only buy ONE extra ticket each way. FYI - This works better for assigned seating; airlines who have passengers (some or all) going without assigned seats may try to stick someone between you, even though you purchased the seat (at the very least, it would be embarassing to keep telling people trying to sit between you that you paid for the extra seat so you could have more space).

Also, SeatGuru is a great resource. I use it all the time when I travel, to see how cramped I'll be. The difference in seat dimensions between planes may surprise you.

I think he would be fine. The general rule of thumb is if someone is encroaching onto the next seat then they are suppose to buy a extra one which is only fair. When I bought our tickets online I was able to pick the seats, so imo it does help to get a isle or window, otherwise I don't like feeling pinned in.

We just returned from the Carnival Freedom in March. My brother-in-law is very large - about 6' and 315 lbs. Flew Philadelphia to Ft. Lauderdale on Southwest. Asked the attendant for a seatbelt extender and he was just fine. He sat beside his wife and I and he just used her seat tray because of his big belly.

After the cruise we flew Miami to Philadelphia via American and guess what? They bumped him and his wife (my sister) up to first class. We have no idea why! So you never know and like the other posts say......don't be afraid to ask.

Archived