Car rental in St. Thomas

Beelady

How is the driving in St. Thomas? We would like to rent a car in Havensight, visit different beaches, see the sights, and finish up with a little shopping. I've heard that the driving can be a little hairy, what is your experience? We would really like to see the island at our own pace. Will we be taking our lives in our hands????

Bee-

There is a Budget across the street from Havensight. They are very accommodating and you can book on line. The hills are steep and curvy but as long as you remember that you are driving in the left lane you should not have any trouble. We have rented several times while visiting STT and will do so again in December. Traffic is heavy between the pier and downtown, but if you are travelling to see the sights you should not get into much traffic. There are other rental agencies who will deliver your car to the ship as well. Chech out usvi sites for a list. Many have toll free or internet booking. Have a great cruise.

Driving is definitely hairy, especially in downtown Charlotte Amalie. Parking there stinks.

Also, as the previous poster mentioned, they drive on the left. But they don't drive British cars on the left, they drive American cars on the left. :eek: In many places they have signs that say "Keep your shoulder to the shoulder". The hills are steep and with hairpin turns so between those and driving an American car on the left, you need to be extra alert.

The island speed limit is 35 mph, I believe...but definitely no faster than 40 mph. You WILL need to make use of the lower gears on your car on those hills. If you're not familiar with how and when to use them, it would be a good idea to get familiar and comfortable using them.

I'm not trying to dissude you from getting a car, I just don't want you to be surprised or caught off guard when you rent it. :)

Thank you for your responses. I think we will go for it. Have spent our last two cruises to St T on St. John, so we would like to explore St Thomas this time. Hubby has experience driving a fire truck and ambulance through city traffic, (even occasionally on the left side of the road!! lol) so I hope he would be up to the challenge. Have found the Budget web site, very convenient to the cruise pier. Thanks again!

Archived