Cheap Tickets?

Tinkerbell

I found a perfect flight on cheaptickets. It goes down to Miami on AA and then it is NWA on the way back. I have never done this before where you are on two different airlines. Any advice would be very useful. Problems that could come up that I have not thought of..

I found a perfect flight on cheaptickets. It goes down to Miami on AA and then it is NWA on the way back. I have never done this before where you are on two different airlines. Any advice would be very useful. Problems that could come up that I have not thought of..

I would also check those specific airlines websites for the same one way flights and possibly you can bypass any service charges that cheap tickets may add on.

I fly different airlines on one way legs all the time..... as long as the schedule is good for you and not too many layovers or stops (non stop is of course always preferred), and connection times are good..... nothing wrong with using two carriers such as you found !

There is no problem with flying one airline one way and the other back. If the price and schedule works for you go for it.

Partially correct. In and of itself, tickets on multiple airlines is not a problem. The problem arises IF (and this is quite likely with Cheaptickets) your tickets are CONSOLIDATOR fare tickets. Read the T&C for both Cheaptickets AND your specific routing/flights before you commit to a purchase. Know what you are getting yourself into. Consolidator tickets can be a way to obtain discounted airfare. However, these tickets have huge restrictions on them, many of which would work to your detriment in the case of any kind of irregular operations.

If all goes well, you will have saved a few bucks. If it goes in the handbasket, you face potential nightmares due to non-transferability of tickets, non-flexibility in the face of schedule changes and many more potential problems. Only you can judge the cost/benefit relationship for your circumstance - personally, I would NEVER be on consolidator tickets to/from a cruise, or any other circumstance where I had to be somewhere at at specific time.

Do some research on consolidator fares, read the Terms & Conditions, and be an informed consumer.

Thank you, you have brought up things I had not thought about. It wasn't that I was focused on the cheaper fare it was that the times they both offered were excellent. I will check into it further before I do anything. Thanks............

Like others have said, check and see if you can get those one-way fares directly from the airlines' websites. The only difficuly I've ever run into with one-way tickets on non-discount carriers is that a couple of times, my one-way tickets have marked me for extra security checks. I'm not sure if that was a function of having a one-way ticket, randomness, or some other factors.

Like others have said, check and see if you can get those one-way fares directly from the airlines' websites. The only difficuly I've ever run into with one-way tickets on non-discount carriers is that a couple of times, my one-way tickets have marked me for extra security checks. I'm not sure if that was a function of having a one-way ticket, randomness, or some other factors.

On the legacy airlines, one way tickets will almost guarantee SSSS at the bottom of your boarding pass-the code for extra screening. You also generally cannot check in online with a one way ticket on the Big 6 airlines.

If you are booking in advance, beware that AA has announced a 10-12% cutback in flights. This past April we were booked(6 mos. in advance) on a return flight with AA out of MIA. Two weeks before the flight we received an e-mail stateing that our orginal flight was cancelled and we were switched to a 3 hr. earilier flight.We would not have been able to make this flight. Luckily I was able to switch to a later flight but there were only 4 seats availble.

It is a practice of mine, if possile, to book flights with an airline that has later flights to the same location that I'm going to. We'll just call it plan"B".

'Good Luck';)

Archived