Alaska and the pool/sun deck-advice?

vandalayceo

We have taken 7 cruises in the last 2 1/2 years, all warm/hot climate situations-Carib,Tahiti, Panama etc.We spend a lot of time lying around the pool both on sea days, and often even when in port if we have already visited the area. Decided to take our parents (both sets) on a cruise but because my elderly father has some respiratory problems which are especially problematic in hot, humid climates, Alaska looked like the best option, and we are booked on the Tahitian for 14 days beginning on July 24 out of Vancouver. I have looked at the climate data for the ports, but that data is all averages and medians and not very encouraging regarding the likelyhood of much suntanning activity.I'm obviously not expecting to have many sun/pool days like on southerly trips, but are we likely to have any? I am Canadian so I don't need 90 or 100 deg F to enjoy this activity, but there is no point if the weather means I have to wear my toque!

Thanks in advance to any one with experience for this route and timeframe.

Yes you can get some days that have sun. It varies a lot depending on Mother Nature's mood. I don't let it deter me though. If I feel like going on deck, I dress warmly and take my book. Sometimes the fresh air is what is needed. It gets downright freezing if you go into Tracy Arm. Both trips; I have been in my lined windbreaker, thermal shirt, another shirt, thick socks, hat, mittens, and scarf. My parents were doubting me when I told them how cold it was that I bought a picture of me on the deck all bundled up in Tracy Arm. Alaska is gorgous no matter the weather. (sorry can't tell you about hot tubbing but I have seen people use them during the cruise)

We did the inside passage last July on the Golden and the weather was all over the place. One day was downright hot! I would definitely bring a bathing suit and even if the pool is a little cool, it is sometimes great jacuzzi weather. Most of the cruise, the only people in the pool were kids while the adults hung out in the jacuzzis. The weather in Alaska is difficult to predict. I'd make sure I had a warm hat and gloves and lots of layers On the other hand, I'd sure bring my suit, but might bring a light warm up suit to wear over it on the way to the pool area.

I cruised to Alaska in June. No one used the pool because the water was very cold. Lots of people did use the hottubs and people layed out by the pool in their swimsuits. It was lovely during the day but rather cool at night and the water in the pools never had a chance to warm up.

I did an Alaskan cruise in August a few years ago - it was more like a Caribbean cruise, in fact I had way too much clothing with me and most of it I didn't wear.

It was upwards of 80degrees everyday and the pool deck was packed.

The only coolish day we had was Juneau/Tracy Arm... every other day was shorts and tee shirt weather.

I am Canadian so I don't need 90 or 100 deg F to enjoy this activity, but there is no point if the weather means I have to wear my toque!

OK, I know this is off topic, but what's a "toque"??? :)

We have cruised Alaska late May, early July, & mid-August.

We have always had some days with fabulous warm sunny weather.

It is a treat to lay out in the sun and watch the Glaciers go by.

Take layers and just 'peel down' to your comfort zone.

I will bring a bathing suit for our Aug. 3 cruise!

Have a great weekend!

Do they have any blankets available to cover up with if you want to sit on deck and watch the scenery?

We are cruising the first week in June.

Yes they did. There was a small area, I think it was on the Lido deck. You had to sign them out & return by 6:00 p.m.

On our cruises to Alaska I am often in the hot tub, especially in the morning. It is great to sit in there and look at the scenery, rain or shine!

You can also find a quiet area out of the wind and enjoy the warmth of the sun, which hopefully will be out. Even if you can't sit out in your bathing suit, at least the sun would feel warm on your body.

We cruise in August this year. Other trips have been in May, June and July and have had varied types of weather but still enjoyed every day.

We have taken 7 cruises in the last 2 1/2 years, all warm/hot climate situations-Carib,Tahiti, Panama etc.We spend a lot of time lying around the pool both on sea days, and often even when in port if we have already visited the area. Decided to take our parents (both sets) on a cruise but because my elderly father has some respiratory problems which are especially problematic in hot, humid climates, Alaska looked like the best option, and we are booked on the Tahitian for 14 days beginning on July 24 out of Vancouver. I have looked at the climate data for the ports, but that data is all averages and medians and not very encouraging regarding the likelyhood of much suntanning activity.I'm obviously not expecting to have many sun/pool days like on southerly trips, but are we likely to have any? I am Canadian so I don't need 90 or 100 deg F to enjoy this activity, but there is no point if the weather means I have to wear my toque!

Thanks in advance to any one with experience for this route and timeframe.

All I can say is you can't go by the weather forecasts. We just got back from the Diamond on May 24th. I kept checking the weather forecasts for all the ports & areas we were going to. They were mostly rainy, overcast etc. We had 2 overcast cloudy days & it didn't make a bit of difference - the scenery was still unbelievable. We did see people using the hot tubs & I forget which day it was, but there were a lot of people laying out by the pool in their swim suits soaking up the rays. It wasn't warm enough for me to do that - living in Florida I can do that at home, but it was a beautiful day & those people were making the most of it. Take your swimsuit - you never know & it doesn't take up much room! Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we enjoyed ours!

You are going at a time that I would pick to go to Alaska from a weather point of view. Over the 14 days you should have some days where the temps will be in the low to mid 70's and comfortable to lay out on deck by the pool, as long as you are out of the wind. But Alaksa is where weather is manufactured and that can change dramatically from day to day.

Archived