Live From Gem-5/18 Cruise

iv18-Diane

Hi, on Gem now and ship and food is wonderful. I was upselled from a Mini Suite to a Penthouse suite and the Perks are worth it. I'll give a review when I return. Ports are great on this cruise, so much to see. Food is wonderful and 2.0 is in full force.

Diane G

Hi, on Gem now and ship and food is wonderful. I was upselled from a Mini Suite to a Penthouse suite and the Perks are worth it. I'll give a review when I return. Ports are great on this cruise, so much to see. Food is wonderful and 2.0 is in full force.

Diane G

Having not cruised before I presume upselled is similar to upgrading but what's the cost? Is there a routine to try and get upgraded?

I am in a mini suite on the Gem in October and have thought about improving accommodation. Is it worth it or should I stay with a minisuite?

What are the desserts like in the main dining rooms? (if you've gone) I am a huge chocolate lover, so the desserts are always what I look forward to.

They are excellent, and NCL also has a choclate buffet. The Flourless choclate cake was delish!

Diane on the Gem

Having not cruised before I presume upselled is similar to upgrading but what's the cost? Is there a routine to try and get upgraded?

I am in a mini suite on the Gem in October and have thought about improving accommodation. Is it worth it or should I stay with a minisuite?

Upsells are not always offered. I received a call from NCL and they offered the suite at a reduced cost.

The Penthouse Suite is much larger . 2 Bedrooms, 2 Baths, Living Area, Dining Area.Huge bathroom. Also it comes with a butler and many amenities. I'll post when I return, but yes its worth it.

Diane

Upsells are not always offered. I received a call from NCL and they offered the suite at a reduced cost.

The Penthouse Suite is much larger . 2 Bedrooms, 2 Baths, Living Area, Dining Area.Huge bathroom. Also it comes with a butler and many amenities. I'll post when I return, but yes its worth it.

Diane

Hey Diane...long time since we had a chat ..remember going to GA for our cruiser party some years back :)

Anyway ..see if you can find out if the Majesty is/has the 2.0 yet ..we sail her next week...thanks so much

Our first time on NCL ..so we are all new to this :)

1ph

They are excellent, and NCL also has a choclate buffet. The Flourless choclate cake was delish!

Diane on the Gem

Thank you so much!!! Flourless chocolate cake sounds good! Is it like a molten cake? I think Carnival had a flourless choc. cake that was molten and it was good!!! Hope you are having fun

Diane G

If Prem is your HD...you have the BEST;)

Hey Diane...long time since we had a chat ..remember going to GA for our cruiser party some years back :)

Anyway ..see if you can find out if the Majesty is/has the 2.0 yet ..we sail her next week...thanks so much

Our first time on NCL ..so we are all new to this :)

1ph

Yes, I do remember the party at your lovely home. I doubt if the Majesty will have 2.0 by next week. They did newest ships first. All of the ships are to be completed by June.

Nice to see you around. Finally getting over the Jet lag, flying from Barcelona to Nashville, where I now live.

Diane in Music City

Thank you so much!!! Flourless chocolate cake sounds good! Is it like a molten cake? I think Carnival had a flourless choc. cake that was molten and it was good!!! Hope you are having fun

Yes, its the Molten cake like Carnival has. It was excellent!

Diane in Music City

Hi, we are on the Gem from 22nd June what does the 2.0 include.:rolleyes:

The 2.0 includes Lobster,ice cream all day in Great outdoors. They have regular ice cream at buffet but that is only there when open. The ice cream all day is the soft serve/ Bedding has been upgraded. At Buffet area you can get Latte and Capuchino all day.

For suites, Breakfast and Dinner are included at Cagneys at no additional charge.

Food was wonderful on my cruise. I ate at all eating ventures except Tempeki and the diner like, 24 hour venture.

Service was excellent and so was my butler that brought us snacks everyday.

I used room service once for breakfast and food came hot and good. I prefered Cagneys for Breakfast where a special breakfast was served. You could even get steak and eggs. This was for suites only. Penthouse and above.

Diane IN Music city

Hi, we are on the Gem from 22nd June what does the 2.0 include. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :D Asked and answered a hundred times in the last few months. :D :rolleyes: ;)

Here are NCL press releases about Freestyle 2.0:

March 12, 2008

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_031208_Freestyle2.0

December 20, 2007

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_122007_Freestyle2.0

Try reading both, it will not take long.

Hi Diane, it sounds like you had a great time!\ We'll be on the Gem 6/8 cruise, and I do have a couple of questions. What night was the optional formal night, and about what percentage of the people would you say dressed up?? Did the DR serve lobster on that night, or is it still the seafood extravaganza? Did the specialty restaurants have the new offerings such as osso bucco in La Cucina ?? How were the lunches in Cagney's ? What kinds of snacks did your butler bring? And finally, any tips for all of us upcoming Gem cruisers?? Thanks in advance for your feedback.......

Hi Diane, it sounds like you had a great time!\ We'll be on the Gem 6/8 cruise, and I do have a couple of questions. What night was the optional formal night, and about what percentage of the people would you say dressed up?? Did the DR serve lobster on that night, or is it still the seafood extravaganza? Did the specialty restaurants have the new offerings such as osso bucco in La Cucina ?? How were the lunches in Cagney's ? What kinds of snacks did your butler bring? And finally, any tips for all of us upcoming Gem cruisers?? Thanks in advance for your feedback.......

The optional formal night was on Monday, the sea day. I'd say about 50% dressed up. Lobster tail was served in every dining Venture on the ship, as per 2.0. I ate in La Cuchina, Le Bistro, Orchard Garden Asian restaurant and Cagneys at breakfast and Lunch which was for Suites only.I ate 3 nights in the Grand Pacific which was the dress -up main dining room. The Lunches were excellent in Cagneys, and they even served steak.I only ate at the buffet twice, on Embarcation , and one Breakfast and a shore day. There was plenty to eat, but crowded.

The butler brought snacks that you checked from a list, Dry Fruit and Nuts, Chips and Salsa, Crackers and Cheese, ETC.

Room service is provided by the butler in the suite. They do the tablecloth and all.

Tips would be about the tours, be aware you will do alot of walking at fast speeds. My advice is either take NCL's more private tours, or do the Own your own tours thru NCL,

I'll be posting a review soon, I came home with a bad cold I obtained on the plane.

Diane in Music City

Hi Diane.

Cannot wait to read your reviews. Hope that you will tell us a lot about the ports and what excursions you chose as well as excursions you may have heard others talk about. Any signs of all of the pickpockets and gypsies that has been talked about? Did you do any private tours or NCL trips?

Take lots of vitamin C and get rid of that cold!

Diane in NC

:rolleyes: :D Asked and answered a hundred times in the last few months. :D :rolleyes: ;)

Here are NCL press releases about Freestyle 2.0:

March 12, 2008

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_031208_Freestyle2.0

December 20, 2007

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_122007_Freestyle2.0

Try reading both, it will not take long.

How I love the repeat ??? all the time......:p

Hi Diane.

Cannot wait to read your reviews. Hope that you will tell us a lot about the ports and what excursions you chose as well as excursions you may have heard others talk about. Any signs of all of the pickpockets and gypsies that has been talked about? Did you do any private tours or NCL trips?

Take lots of vitamin C and get rid of that cold!

Diane in NC

Diane,

I'll include my ports and excursions. I've been feeling better so working on review. I did not have any problems with pickpockets or gypsies, but walk street wise. Someone on our cruise had a problem with someone trying to get in a backpack. Consider not walking with those, as its easier to grab from the back. I had a bag with a strap that I kept to the front of me.

I did see police action in Florence. Some theves had stolen paintings from local vendors.

Diane in Music City

Archived