Philip Stein watches - do they sell in the Princess shops?

jnv

While I would love to buy one of these watches I'm wondering if they work on people who have the weird body chemistry that kills watches? I know this sounds crazy, but it is true... I used to be a total watch person until I started not only sucking the life right out of batteries but also having them fail even by simple every day wear!

I finally had to go to the non-battery "solar" powered watches--no problems at all since then... any advice?

A friend of mine bought one in Cozumel and paid over $1100 for it, which she thought was a steal (velvet ribbon watch band, etc.), was this a good deal? Just curious...

VB1

My son is one of those people that kills watches. I'll have to ask him if he has tried wearing a solar watch. When I purchased my Philip Stein we were on a cruise, and when we were back on the ship I showed him my new purchase. He didn't know it was any different than any other watch and tried on my watch as he looked at it. Within a few seconds he ripped it off and said it made him feel weird. A few years later we were discussing what had happened with the watch that day, and he tried it again. Again he said it mad him feel weird. I reached out and held his hand and I could feel an electricity flow from his hand to mine. I'd be curious to see what happens to you if you put one on. I personally love mine. It has helped me with motionsickness, and I never cruise without it.

• 2 months later...
While I would love to buy one of these watches I'm wondering if they work on people who have the weird body chemistry that kills watches? I know this sounds crazy, but it is true... I used to be a total watch person until I started not only sucking the life right out of batteries but also having them fail even by simple every day wear!

I finally had to go to the non-battery "solar" powered watches--no problems at all since then... any advice?

A friend of mine bought one in Cozumel and paid over $1100 for it, which she thought was a steal (velvet ribbon watch band, etc.), was this a good deal? Just curious...

VB1

Hello, sorry for the late response, as I forgot my user name and password for the site, then didn't remember the name of the string I wrote on...

I am familiar with people having those types of issues. Unfortunately, we have noticed that because of the unusual body chemistry, battery operated watches most likely would not work, including ours. However, very soon we will have an automatic watch you may want to try. They are quite pricy as they are a very high end Swiss made movement, so I would recommend finding an inexpensive watch without a battery that has a winder and trying that one first.

We believe the phenomenon to be related to the gases our bodies give off. These gases some how have an electric charge that can be seen by very sensitive instruments. Try to research the GDV Camera. It is a tool that can take pictures of the gases our bodies give off (through our skin, and is believed to be what the bodies "aura" refers to).

Can any watch repair place change the batteries or do you need to take it to an "authorized" dealer?

If there is no authorized dealer in the area email Phillip Stein and they will send specific instructions for the watchmaker to use to change batteries, they used to be on the website but I cannot see the link anymore. I see gary offered his email and he can probably send them to you too.

Hmmmm... I've seen the claims for Philip Stein watches on the ships and have looked at their website. Are we sure this isn't a psychosomatic reaction? Sure sounds like voodoo science to me. Have there been any reputable studies done to prove their claims? I understand that the placebo effect is real, and if y'all feel better, than that's all good, but I'm always wary of "miracle" products... just the skeptic in me I guess... :rolleyes:

Amazon has a broad selection:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=%22philip+stein+watch%22&x=15&y=18

Use that for price comparisons. Or even buy! :)

I never thought of myself as cheap, but for those prices it better do more than get rid of my headache.:D Then you have to but a band to boot.:eek:

I purchased a watch in Jamaica almost 2 years ago at a store recommended by the ship. Saved $95.00 over retail prices in the states. After about 6 months one of the teslar chips turned black, a sign it needs replacing. Called Miami, got return instructions, sent it back, and it was all taken care of quickly and was covered under warrenty. They were very nice and helpful. However, after getting it back, I noticed that the hands did not quite line up with the numbers:eek: Called them again, sent it back, and within a month received my watch back completely serviced amd like brand new. Needless to say, I love my watch and the company service is outstanding:D Oh, and mine came with the band!! I get comments on it all the time too.

do you save a substantial amount buying them at a port vs. a store in the States? My mom just purchased hers at a jewelers locally, just wondering if the duty free shops save money on this particular item. thanks.

Yes, you save the tax..I bought one in Jamica in 2005 and paid 500.00 for it..it would have cost me 575.00 in the states..I swear by mine...you are suppose to wear them to bed, and when I forget, I get up and put it on..very comforting....................:)

Yes, you save the tax..I bought one in Jamica in 2005 and paid 500.00 for it..it would have cost me 575.00 in the states..I swear by mine...you are suppose to wear them to bed, and when I forget, I get up and put it on..very comforting....................:)

Hmmmm... I guess if one is willing to spend that kind of money on a watch, it had better make them feel good! :p

at $500 that seems very expensive to solve sea sickness. My wife gets sea sick and on earlier cruises she used the various drugs and tried ginger too. Still sick....Then we bought the Relief Band. First one we got was $125 years ago, but we have found it for under $100 and I actually found one for $35. I can't explain it, but these watches work for her. It clearly does not look like a Cartier or Rolex, but it does the trick.....and sounds like for less than a Philip Stein

Don't use it for seasickness, as I don't get seasick! Just liked the watch and the fact that I do sleep better when I wear it and seem more mellow, is an added bonus. Can't explain it and don't really care:rolleyes: Wouldn't have bought it if I didn't just like it:D

This has been an interesting thread. Here's the problem. To say you saved "$95" means nothing when the retail price of these watchs ranges from the plain Jane's in the $300 to $600 range to the elite diamond encrusted ones from $1000 to $4000. You've got big ones, you got little ones, you even got mini ones. I'm shocked no one here has mentioned the "O" name here. It was Oprah on her show who gave the watches away on one of her Christmas gift shows several years ago that made these watches so famous.... well and the fact Oprah says she wears one and from what I understand she even got our new President to sport one. I suspect his is the big diamond encrusted one with sting ray leather band. What I found in the island stores with DI being the biggest dealer but not the only dealer is you save 15% off retail. You can get the retail price off their website. No more, no less. Add in your savings in state sales taxes and that's your price difference. So a $1000 diamond one with the band (I never saw any being sold without one in Island stores) will cost you $850 plus up to another $100 savings in sales tax. . My wife got one in that price range with lots of little diamonds and loves it. Picking out any watch to me is like buying carpet/tile/brick/paint. You got so many colors/designs/sizes to pick from how does one choose a watch with ease? Too mind boggling for me.

Does she feel great now that she sports her Oprah watch?

Hummm....... it's like do you feel better after sleeping on the sleep number air bed since you heard the Bionic Woman did? Some do feel better effects many don't. And no the Princess ships do not sell these watches but I suspect they get a pretty hefty "kickback" from Mr. Stein to push them on the shop talks giving exclusive only to you 15% off coupons to use at DI. I found I got the same price with or without the coupon. Like Apple Ipods you will be hard pressed finding a "deal" on these watches from authorized dealers. Question: when the batteries get "half dead" do you feel half as good as you did with a full charged battery?

gseymour, I am left-handed so I have always worn my watch on my right wrist. Phillip Stein recommends wearing their watch on the left hand. Will I still get the health benefits wearing it on my right wrist?:confused:

Hmmm... why would it matter which hand the watch is worn on? More voodoo science it seems to me... LOL :rolleyes:

No voodoo, the left hand is closer to your heart. Same reason doctor's prefer blood pressure readings from your left arm. How can you doubt the testimony of Oprah and Rupert Murdock? If Oprah says it's so then so be it. Can anyone ever think of a time Oprah was wrong? She didn't become a billionare overnight for being wrong. By the way I priced the men's bracelet (no watch) in Cozemel last week and they said the list price was $795 but I could have it for a discount of $675 (15% discount). I passed because one DI store give me the $675 price up front and then I whipped out the 15% off coupon from the Princess shore girl and they would not accept it. That's why I know there is a price fix on these.

Had they taken another 15% off the $675 I would have bought it and taken the gamble to see if it worked on me. They didn't so I didn't loose any sleep over it and I'm $675 richer.

Oh ye, of little faith................:eek:

Oh, I have faith... in the scientific method. If there was an article in the Journal of Science conclusively validating the watch's claims, I wouldn't hesitate to consider buying one.

I purchased my Philip Stein (mini, dual with diamonds!) in St Maarten, Jan /08: and love it. Many comments, looks beautiful, but honestly, I do not feel any different when I wear it (other than pretty glamorous...). I am planning to purchase one or two sets of straps on our next cruise. I was told that authorized retailers cannot discount the price...the prices are set by Philip Stein.

My wife got the mini too and still loves it. She don't feel any better to me. She looked for bands this past week in Coz. and found them around $95 each with one DI store asking $225 which got it to $75 each but she didn't like the gold color one so she passed on that deal. The bands are high quality and don't be fooled by knock off bands which ebay is full of and I suspect some stores in the Islands.

I purchased my Philip Stein (mini, dual with diamonds!) in St Maarten, Jan /08: and love it. Many comments, looks beautiful, but honestly, I do not feel any different when I wear it (other than pretty glamorous...). I am planning to purchase one or two sets of straps on our next cruise. I was told that authorized retailers cannot discount the price...the prices are set by Philip Stein.

If you do buy a band from an authorised dealer and the little clip breaks (like mine did) I was able to send it back and they replaced it immediately. They do discount the bands a little if you ask really nicely!!

That website only stated that they do work mircles for at least one lady. The other stuff said didn't say anything. There were no disputes from anyone who had one only from those that don't have one. Anymore actual owners want to say there 2 cents here? let's here it.

I have had one for 2 years. Whether it is a placebo effect or it actually does something I have no idea. I have been a regular morning runner for years and I do feel that I have more energy and I recover quicker when I wear it on a regular basis.

I bought one in St-Thomas in December during our Emerald Princess cruise.

I never get seasick so I can't tell you if it works for that but I am VERY prone to migraines and headaches, and ever since I bought the watch, they are GONE!!

I'm pretty impressed...

MC

hmmmm, wonder if this would count towards a health care spending account reimbursement. :)

Archived