Arrested in Mexico

AmberMarie

This is actually a question about Cancun, but the Cancun boards are always DEAD. I'm going on a land vacation on Sunday with my boyfriend and a couple of his friends. I know it's not a cruise but you CCers are so helpful!

Let me preempt my question by explaining that none of use are "rowdy," but my boyfriend did warn me that one of his friends sometimes says stupid things when he's drunk and it made me think, "Ugh, what if he gets arrested or something?" GOD FORBID and I doubt it will happen (we are all not that big of "party animals" or anything).

I just want to be prepared-- what should we do if someone gets arrested in Mexico? What's the first thing we do? Who do we call? The US Embassy or something?

It is against the law to be belligerent with policemen especially using profanity against them. Short of that they probably would not consider arresting tourists unless he was drunk to the point of endangering himself or others. Generally speaking the policemen who work in areas where there is tourism have been well trained for most eventualities.

You probably don’t need to call anyone, the police are accustomed to notifying the consulates of the countries of origin when they are forced to put a foreigner in jail.

My opinion: you should forewarn him that if he chooses to get drunk and act stupid then he also loses his right to complain if he gets arrested in the process. And just because he's an Amercain doesn't mean he deserves special treatment. When you choose to act out and get arrested in another country you get what you deserve, in my opinion.

This is actually a question about Cancun, but the Cancun boards are always DEAD. I'm going on a land vacation on Sunday with my boyfriend and a couple of his friends. I know it's not a cruise but you CCers are so helpful!

Let me preempt my question by explaining that none of use are "rowdy," but my boyfriend did warn me that one of his friends sometimes says stupid things when he's drunk and it made me think, "Ugh, what if he gets arrested or something?" GOD FORBID and I doubt it will happen (we are all not that big of "party animals" or anything).

I just want to be prepared-- what should we do if someone gets arrested in Mexico? What's the first thing we do? Who do we call? The US Embassy or something?

I know the OP is probably long gone, but from what I've heard from a guy who has had more than 1 run-in with Mexican police, who aren't exactly ethical...

Carry a few hundred dollars in cash in your wallet and you'll be fine.

Please, don't spoil this for the residents. A couple of hundred PESOS is more typical. Don't go flashing any $200 American Dollars; you'll cost us all a lot of grief.

OK Amber, I am old enough to be your Mom so let me do my "mom" thing for a minute.

1. Tell your "friend" that if he gets himself in trouble...HE IS ON HIS OWN!

period. Tell him you won't even so much as make a phone call.

2. If he does pull a stunt that gets himself into trouble....look at tip number one!!

I GUARANTEE the next time...he will think twice!!!

OK Amber, I am old enough to be your Mom so let me do my "mom" thing for a minute.

1. Tell your "friend" that if he gets himself in trouble...HE IS ON HIS OWN!

period. Tell him you won't even so much as make a phone call.

2. If he does pull a stunt that gets himself into trouble....look at tip number one!!

I GUARANTEE the next time...he will think twice!!!

LPH, I think she has already gone. I wish we could hear back to find out how things went. I agree with you, it is very important for people, especially the young crowd to realize, when they are in a foriegn country many things are different and they can land in jail without knowing what they did even.

Nita

Just back from the Mayan Riviera.. This is a TRUE story as told by a guest of the hotel we were staying at..

Working hard in the Canadian Oil sands 3 friends decide to Go down to Mexico for some of their time off, one of them decided to find a local bar where he could have a few beers, he didn't show up back at the resort so after about 36 hours with his room having not being slept in and no sign of him they contacted the front desk.. Management phoned all the local hospitals and no luck there so they then tried the Police......Success !!!.

Seemingly, having had a few too many 50 cent beers at a 'local bar' he was arrested for Drunk and Disorderly.. Hawled before a judge and given the choice of $140 fine or 48 hours in jail ..

He opted for 48 hrs in jail ... His friends not knowing this, came to his rescue, paid the fine and released him .. His first words to his friends were ... "What the F### did you do that for, I only had 6 more hours to go"

No sooner than he was released he was saying to his friends "come on you gotta come with me to that bar ..Beer's only 50 cents".. his friends responded with .."But at our resort it's free"... Him ..."Yeah ... but the beers only 50 cents" ... "Hellooooo at the hotel it's free" !!

When asked about the jail cell,,,,, he said it smelled of Feceus and urine and the guards came in wearing gloves and masks ..!!

Moral of the story:- This guy was obviously a few bricks short of a load, opting for 2 nights in a Stinking jail cell and eating their food rather than paying $140 and getting back to the luxury 5* all inclusive resort ..

Stay outta trouble, drink within your limit and trouble won't find you !!!

• 3 weeks later...

Everything went fine. :) I am back and no one got in any trouble. I just wanted to know what to do if in a random situation where a misunderstanding or poor decision could have lead to someone getting arrested.

I thought this thread was deleted because I got temporarily banned for my remarks to the unhelpful responses to my question. oops

I know the OP is probably long gone, but from what I've heard from a guy who has had more than 1 run-in with Mexican police, who aren't exactly ethical...

Carry a few hundred dollars in cash in your wallet and you'll be fine.

That's exactly what I was thinking :) Some of my friends who are from Mexico said that they are very corrupt and if you slip them some money, they just wave you through. I don't know from experience if that's the truth, but I'd be scared to death to do that. Do they have a law against bribing a public servant? :)

Do they have a law against bribing a public servant? :)

They must not... my car was almost towed in Cancun once. The responding cop was on the phone with the mayor, who had requested my car towed... long story... Anyways, we gave the cop $80 USD. He said he was not getting any of that money, that it was going to the mayor (who was very happy with it) and we were free to go, with our car.

They must not... my car was almost towed in Cancun once. The responding cop was on the phone with the mayor, who had requested my car towed... long story... Anyways, we gave the cop $80 USD. He said he was not getting any of that money, that it was going to the mayor (who was very happy with it) and we were free to go, with our car.

Now that's a funny story. Remember this story, it will draw laughs no matter where in Mexico you visit and tell it. You'll become famous.

Mordita (The Little Bite)

Mordita

Sometimes just learning Spanish words is not enough.

Mordita, translated literally means a little bite. That's probably why the word has been used to also mean the small bite traffic cops sometimes accept in order to not ticket drivers.

While the government has been striving to reduce incidences of mordita, each of us needs to think through the situation and then decide how we will respond to situations in which a small mordita might be accepted, alleviating the payment of a much higher fine or bigger problem.

Everything went fine. :) I am back and no one got in any trouble. I just wanted to know what to do if in a random situation where a misunderstanding or poor decision could have lead to someone getting arrested.

I thought this thread was deleted because I got temporarily banned for my remarks to the unhelpful responses to my question. oops

:eek:

omg... they banned you????? lol..... I didn't know you had to be that careful of your reponses

Mordita (The Little Bite)

Mordita

Sometimes just learning Spanish words is not enough.

Mordita, translated literally means a little bite. That's probably why the word has been used to also mean the small bite traffic cops sometimes accept in order to not ticket drivers.

While the government has been striving to reduce incidences of mordita, each of us needs to think through the situation and then decide how we will respond to situations in which a small mordita might be accepted, alleviating the payment of a much higher fine or bigger problem.

If you thought to post that because of my story, it's OK. It's good advice for all of us!

Let me add that my incident was back in 2002... a lot has happened in Mexican politics since then. Also, I was living in Cancun at the time. Like I said, its a long story.

Coincidentially, I saw the responding cop a couple days later and told him my (now ex) BF and I were living there. Over the next few months he had became a very good friend of mine. Looking back on what happened and considering everything, I totally believe him when he said that all the money was going straight to the mayor; none for himself. I didn't think he was feeding me bull as it was happening, and the more I got to know him, the stronger I believed him.

snc421...

Response was partially to your post and in part to my family traveling to Mexico since the 1970's. My SIL and BIL worked for the Mexican Govt for years and we would go down and spend a couple of weeks every 3 or 4 years. They lived the daily real life and gave us the tips that they had learned as they went about thier daily business.

One tip, since we traveled all over by auto, was that if we got involved in an auto accident and the vehicle could not be moved.... UNLOAD the luggage and get it away from the van. If the van got towed - you would never see the contents again.

We were not going to the primary tourist places.. They work in the field of anthropology and linguistics and we went to the "back country" on our travels.. The Cancun's and Cozumel's have been cleaned up a great deal but not all of Mexico is "reformed"...

Amber had to sit in the naughty chair;)

I had some friends that were 'caught speeding' in Mexico outside the airport they were going to. The officer said they could go before the judge the next day (the officer had the husbands passport) to pay the fine and retrieve the passport or 'leave' something behind. This country boy who had never been out of the country left $50 behind for the officer's coffee.

snc421...

Response was partially to your post and in part to my family traveling to Mexico since the 1970's. My SIL and BIL worked for the Mexican Govt for years and we would go down and spend a couple of weeks every 3 or 4 years. They lived the daily real life and gave us the tips that they had learned as they went about thier daily business.

One tip, since we traveled all over by auto, was that if we got involved in an auto accident and the vehicle could not be moved.... UNLOAD the luggage and get it away from the van. If the van got towed - you would never see the contents again.

We were not going to the primary tourist places.. They work in the field of anthropology and linguistics and we went to the "back country" on our travels.. The Cancun's and Cozumel's have been cleaned up a great deal but not all of Mexico is "reformed"...

Very true on the accident tip!

Also true of the back country tip.... I drove to Cancun when I went. Wow what a trip that was! I would love to do it again.... but DH would never want to do it. Especially now the way things are in some areas...

Archived