VAT charged on Independence?

Does anyone know why IOS charges VAT at 17.5% on all purchases in the shops onboard? (This is different to the 15% service charge on drinks)

We have been on many cruises out of Southampton and on different lines and have never been charged VAT before.

Charging VAT? sounds like rubbish to me. Maby another way of RCCL getting some money back? Kinda funny to me that they would charge VAT on purchases in the shops, hence I thought they were duty free?

I guess not?

But the 15% charge on drinks is gratuity as far as I know and is standard on all sailings that I have been on.

Charging VAT? sounds like rubbish to me. Maby another way of RCCL getting some money back? Kinda funny to me that they would charge VAT on purchases in the shops, hence I thought they were duty free?

I guess not?

But the 15% charge on drinks is gratuity as far as I know and is standard on all sailings that I have been on.

17.5% was charged on shop purchases. I think photos were excluded. The general store was not open, a table was put across the door and staff were selling items from there. As the alcohol on the shelves were duty free they wouldn't sell it as we were still in UK waters. We were allowed to buy 40 cigarettes per person per day only.

It may (should) be different on the cruises to the Med.

We did the inaugural to Cork and they charged VAT in the shops, but not on the photos ??? couldn't work that one out.

Also the perfume shop was adding VAT, but also only allowing the duty free amount to be purchased ?

Surely if your paying VAT on it then there is no limit ?

Finding anyone who could answer the VAT/ duty question on board proved impossible I figured most of the shake down crew were not familiar with the tax laws.

Certainly on the NOS to europe last year there was no VAT and duty free was open, so I understand the EU dilema for the Cork run but why the photos VAT free and the duty limit on perfume....hmmmmmm?

If they do not visit a non EU port then the VAT applies. Thanks for reminding me about this--

our last cruise to W. Medit stopped at Gibraltar so we were saved,, Does anyone know if Turkey is a fulll EU Member or will stopping there also save us on our E Medit cruise? If is remains an associate member will that still trigger the VAT?

I googled & see Turkey is not listed as a member Hope that means we will not have to pay the VAT...

Austria (since 1995-01-01) (EUR)

Belgium (EUR)

Bulgaria (since 2007-01-01)

Cyprus (Greek part) (since 2004-05-01) (EUR: 2008-01-01)

Czech Republic (since 2004-05-01)

Denmark

Estonia (since 2004-05-01)

Finland (since 1995-01-01) (EUR)

France (EUR)

Germany (EUR)

Greece (EUR)

Hungary (since 2004-05-01)

Ireland (EUR)

Italy (EUR)

Latvia (since 2004-05-01)

Lithuania (since 2004-05-01)

Luxembourg (EUR)

Malta (since 2004-05-01) (EUR: 2008-01-01)

Netherlands (EUR)

Poland (since 2004-05-01)

Portugal (EUR)

Romania (since 2007-01-01)

Slovakia (since 2004-05-01)

Slovenia (since 2004-05-01) (EUR)

Spain (EUR)

Sweden (since 1995-01-01)

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was no VAT (Value Added Tax) on our purchases on the Indy 2 nighter Pre-Inaugural 30th April and we were allowed to buy the ciggies at $50 for two 200 packs and we only went out by Jersey.
That is because the Channel Islands are not in the EU - so they are visiting a non-EU port -so no VAT!

Sounds a bit odd. VAT is like the US sales tax, but unlike in the States prices have to be quoted with VAT already included and not added on afterwards like with sales tax, in other words the ticket price should be the final selling price.

Sounds a bit odd. VAT is like the US sales tax, but unlike in the States prices have to be quoted with VAT already included and not added on afterwards like with sales tax, in other words the ticket price should be the final selling price.

This is correct, under EEC law, prices must be shown VAT inclusive. They do not do this on cruise ships, they charge the VAT as an extra. I guess it is just too time consuming altering all of the prices for the few cruises they have that are subject to VAT.

They always try as much as possible to visit a non-EEC country. This is why they call at Gibraltar, Croacia, Norway or Turkey. The western-med is becoming more difficult now that Malta have joined the EEC. Most Malta cruises have now been substituted by Tunisia just to get around this problem.

If they do not visit a non EU port then the VAT applies. Thanks for reminding me about this--

our last cruise to W. Medit stopped at Gibraltar so we were saved,, Does anyone know if Turkey is a fulll EU Member or will stopping there also save us on our E Medit cruise? If is remains an associate member will that still trigger the VAT?

Turkey is not in the EU.

• 4 months later...

I don't think anyone has given a definitive answer as to what will attract tax etc.

I persoanlly don't like (as a Brit) seeing a price of $5 plus sales tax plus service charge, I want to see a 'final' sales price. Anyway, as all sales are done 'off shore' I thought that it was therefore tax exempt?

I don't think anyone has given a definitive answer as to what will attract tax etc.

I persoanlly don't like (as a Brit) seeing a price of $5 plus sales tax plus service charge, I want to see a 'final' sales price. Anyway, as all sales are done 'off shore' I thought that it was therefore tax exempt?

If the ship calls at a NON-EU port there won´t be VAT added, if it´s a cruise only sailing within the EU and calling at EU ports VAT will be added to all sales.

The off shore, doesn´t mean anything when sailing between EU ports.

Archived