Xferring Booking After Penalty Period - Same Cruiseline, Different Ship?

travellady

I have a dilemma, I've got a full week off of work the week of Feb 20 so could take a 7 day cruise and the Pride out of Long Beach is my first choice. But, my son "may" have a soccer tournament one or both of those weekends. We won't know until late January or even the first week of Feb as it depends on how his team does throughout the month of January. I'd say it's 50/50 at this point as to whether his team makes it into late Feb.

So, I narrowed down my cruising choices to Monarch of the Seas or Paradise since we can fly down on a Sunday night and back the following Friday to be here for the weekends. I originally booked Monarch but changed it to Paradise this morning after much thought and reviews I read on the board. And got the Penthouse Suite (yay :-).

But, as I said, the Pride is our first choice but since we won't know if we can do this 7 day until late Jan/early Feb, I asked the rep I talked to at Carnival if I could transfer the Paradise booking to the Pride, without penalty, even though we'll be in the penalty period. She hinted that maybe we could but I'd have to call and talk to a supervisor when/if we cross that bridge. This leads me to believe we possibly can and that its been done in the past. And of course that's assuming cabins are available on the Pride.

Has anyone or do you know of anyone who has been successful with xfering their booking from one Carnival ship to the other after the penalty period is in effect and has done so without penalty (I don't mind paying a small xfer fee). I don't want to get my hopes up but based on the hint from rep at Carnival, but I now am hopeful.

I know I could just wait until late Jan/early Feb to book at all but fear if I do, the prices may have gone up a bit or worse, nothing if very little will be available as this is Presidents week and many school districts in my state (Washington) are on mid-winter break. Then I won't have a cruise at all that week :-( and I'd be very sad.

Based on the the current pricing for the Pride, I'd be paying about 700.00 more to go on the Pride with a Balcony guarantee than my current Paradise Penthouse Suite booking. Not to mention the extra bingo money spent, extra pictures taken, more and expensive excursions, higher drink bill. Heck, if they go for it, it certainly would be to Carnival's advantage.

Had the PVP said no, absolutely not, I'd not pursue it if I need to cross that bridge. But she said we could work with a supervisor who can make that decision. So, it leads me to believe that decision has been made in the past without fees.

Anybody else have any informaiton to share on xferring bookings after penalty kicks in?

I would call Carnival and ask to speak to a supervisor and explain your situation.....if the supervisor does agree that it could be a possibility, I would ask them to send me an email stating that...it might save you a lot of grief later on

I wouldn't chance that situation at all. Today it may be a $700 difference but in late January, days before the cruise, the Pride may well be sold out or the prices VERY high. President's week is a very popular cruise week and you will have no guarantess from anyone that you'll be able to change ships without paying a penalty. No one knows this far in advance if you would be charged or not. I doubt you'd get anything in writing from a supervisor saying you can do that without penalty either.

Unfortunately, we find we have to take that chance as we won't know if we'll need to be around both President's weekend and the following weekend. It's all dependent on how my son's team progresses through the Washington State cup soccer tournament. He's on a premier team and we've been asked ot make the commitment. I'd say it's 80/20 at this point as to whether he'll get that far (80 no, 20 yes). If I book the Pride now, and we have to cancel 2-3 weeks before, I lose a good chunk of change. If I book the Paradise, as I have, we lose nothing as we know we can go these 4 nights - well, we do lose the opportunity to cruise for 7 days. So, if I want to stick with Carnival for this vacation (great fun for kids), I have to gamble and hope they'll transfer my booking without penalty if that situation arises.

I do have 3 other options - Princess, HAL, and NCL all offer an insurance plan allowing me to cancel up to 24 hours in advance for any reason whatsoever, and for a 10% penalty. HAL was the best in that it provides a cash refund, the other 2 provide credits (not bad but they do have strings attached such as when you can cruise on the credit). I've thought seriously about the HAL Oosterdam as right now I can get a decent rate and I like their itinerary. But I suspect HAL will be the least fun for my son so have hesitated. RCL also has a cancel for whatever reason ins. policy but that's only 75% credit - not as desirable. Unfortunately, Carnival offers nothing like this so I can't gamble on the Pride.

I know I will continue to mull this over and over - I keep hopping between keeping the Paradise and gambling with trying to xfer to Pride after penalty phase knowing that may not happen or booking with one of the other lines that privides a generous credit for cancellation for any reason. If I go this route, and have to cancel, there is always the Paradise or Monarch to book on at the last minute but rates will (maybe) have gone up and worse yet, they may be completely booked and then I'll be stuck with a land vacation (fun but not the same as a cruise).

Decisions, decisions, decisions - I'm one who likes to have plans set in stone several months in advance so this is killing me.

Here is a thought.;) ..can you book them both?? I know it would be 2 deposits , but maybe as the time for final payment gets closer you will have a better idea of how the team is doing?? :D

I know how you are feeling..my daughter plays on a travel softball team and we had this siutation in June after her team qualified for the World Series in Peoria:D ..we ended up going and coming in 29th out of 75 teams :D :D

Nancy

I've thought about booking both but won't have a lot of visibility into team placement at that time. The reason is his team may end up in a different grouping come January and that will determine how far they advance in Feb. Thouse groupings are random so difficult to assess.

I've come to the conclusion that we'll be satisfied with the 4 day Paradise - heck, any cruise is good. There should be no need whatsoever to cancel that one. And, if by chance the rest works out in my favor - son able to travel those weekends and Carnival willing to xfer the booking, better yet. I did talk to another rep at Carnival this morning and asked her what circumstances she's seen xfers happen such as mine. She stated it's a case by case basis but chances are better when the cruise I want to go on is not sold out and if it's more expensive than the one I am originally booked for.

I'll put this to rest for now and come January, we'll see what happens.

Archived