World Cruises: Regent Growth & Balancing "Seggies"?

TLCOhio

From this Toronto newspaper news story, you can link below to an interesting and very detailed feature on the growth of folks doing various World Cruises:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080523.longcruises24/BNStory/specialTravel/home

The story notes that "relations between Seggies and full-term 'Worldies' can be tense." There are interesting story details on these relationships that cruise lines try to balance.

The story highlights: "Of the 332 passengers who did this year's full world cruise on the Crystal Cruises ship Crystal Serenity, 18 per cent were booked through her Mississauga agency and many have put down deposits for 2009. 'I think cruising is a whole lot easier than the winter months we've spent in Bermuda or Barbados,' says Mary Alice Gammon, of Oakville, Ont., who has become a repeater along with her husband, Ted. 'We were never catered to in a hotel like we are on a cruise.' "

One of the best parts of the story was: "Whatever their interpersonal relations, even Mark Conroy, the President of Regent, says that satisfying the needs of such distinct groups is like putting together a complex puzzle. And as shorter-term cruisers Don and Barb Banks of Phoenix explain, even the best ship staff can't please everyone all the time. 'It's clear that the Worldies run the ship,' they say. 'There is little upbeat music. When we go to the lounge for a drink before dinner, the pianist is told not to play anything lively so the elderly guests aren't offended. I'm sure some of them come here directly from their assisted-living facilities.' "

Be interested in the reactions and comments from WC veterans on how the "Seggies" view the balancing done by Regent and other lines, plus other, good and positive comments on the growth of this segment of the cruise business.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

There has been quite a discussion about this very thing.....Worldies and Seggies on another board. Some said they found no difference being a segment pax and others found the experience and service to be lacking where the Worldies were given preferential treatment over the segment cruisers. I know that World cruisers pay a huge amount for their cruise and should get all of the attention and extras that they are entitled to, but then segment cruisers sometimes pay much more then a normal cruise on a Regent ship and they should not get less service because more is being devoted to the World cruisers. It's a fine line for Regent to tread and as someone who is scheduled on their first segment cruise next year......it sure does leave me wondering about all that has been reported.

Pat

I have done 5 world cruise segments over a 3 year period and have always found the experience to be top notch. I haven't witnessed problems with those doing the entire global cruise and those only doing segments so not sure what this is all about. I think there are some with a bit of a "been there done that attitude" that don't even get off the ship but that's their choice. Some just sit and play cards all day, doesn't make them rude. I have thoroughly enjoyed doing the segments I have done and look forward to doing another in 2009. You will notice, as I have, that the staff knows the world cruisers but that's to be expected with so much time together. Capt Dag and the officers are welcoming to all. Many know me by name because of being Titanium with many nights. I try to always call the crew and staff by name and many reciprocate.

I've never seen any tension between full and segment passengers, no idea what that author is talking about but I would listen to the experienced travelers on this one and not some free lance journalist.

Archived