Cancelling my cruise...cancellation fee $250 per person...

mimmi

I booked my cruise sometime in March. I had a problem w/ my boss and I quit my job 3 weeks ago. Same day I quit, I sent a resume to a great company and got the call last week with the job offer. I am so happy, the new job is a "big" promotion..I am so glad I quit, however my cruise was booked for Jun 22 and my start date is June 1st. I'm sure the company would probably understand that I =had a cruise booked prior to the job offer, but its very important to me that I start in very good terms. (I don't like to give reason for office gossip, specially when you are new at the office).

I called Carnival and tried to go next year instead (I told them that I lost my job, which was partially true, but I didnt mention my new employment), Carnival still wanted to charge me 250 p/p plus price difference. I thought that was better to go ahead and cancel the cruise....Had to pay 250 pp for the cancelation anyways..sad about that..

I think Carnival was very harsh for not letting me change the date, I would be fine paying the price difference, I even wanted to upgrade to a suite..but Nope..No help at Carnival. I am so disapointed with Carnival customer service... Right now if I was to book again I would prefer going on a different line...Carnival didn't care about me. This would be my first cruise. Maybe all lines are like this..not sure..

Is there a way I can fight Carnival to get my cancellation fee back? I understand that its not health related, but I wanted to go next year instead.

This is why insurance should be bought. If you had airline tickets they would not let you change without penalty. Would you also not choose to fly with them? It is in the contract you agreed to when you purchased this cruise. I know you are disappointed but it is a decision you made. Many businesses have penalties if you change your mind. I am glad you are happy at your new job and I hope that you enjoy cruising when you are able to cruise.

No I didnt buy insurance, I was going to buy last week before I got the offer...I would buy in case of last minutes health casualty, insurance would not cover "job changes"..at least I researched for my own information, I am local from South Fl, at least I didnt have to cancel flights..

I booked my cruise sometime in March. I had a problem w/ my boss and I quit my job 3 weeks ago. Same day I quit, I sent a resume to a great company and got the call last week with the job offer. I am so happy, the new job is a "big" promotion..I am so glad I quit, however my cruise was booked for Jun 22 and my start date is June 1st. I'm sure the company would probably understand that I =had a cruise booked prior to the job offer, but its very important to me that I start in very good terms. (I don't like to give reason for office gossip, specially when you are new at the office).

I called Carnival and tried to go next year instead (I told them that I lost my job, which was partially true, but I didnt mention my new employment), Carnival still wanted to charge me 250 p/p plus price difference. I thought that was better to go ahead and cancel the cruise....Had to pay 250 pp for the cancelation anyways..sad about that..

I think Carnival was very harsh for not letting me change the date, I would be fine paying the price difference, I even wanted to upgrade to a suite..but Nope..No help at Carnival. I am so disapointed with Carnival customer service... Right now if I was to book again I would prefer going on a different line...Carnival didn't care about me. This would be my first cruise. Maybe all lines are like this..not sure..

Is there a way I can fight Carnival to get my cancellation fee back? I understand that its not health related, but I wanted to go next year instead.

Write carnival a letter, I had to do something like that a few years ago and they gave me a credit toward another cruise, however I had to use it in a with in a year.

Congrats on the new job!!

I think you will find all the other cruise lines would have probably gave you the same answer. They have the penalties in place for a reason. While you had a excuse, Im sure they get people calling an just wanting to get around the penalty, so they just stick to the policy.

Sorry but I can't agree with you on this one. The cancellation rules are clearly spelled out. Carnival is is clearly within the terms of the contract and in this economy you really can't expect them to do anything else. If we want the cruise lines to stay in business, everyone is going to have to realize that they are going to enforce penalties and stop giving price drops. They have to maximize income and those are two ways that they can do it.

Rules are rules...but this is one of those times where Carnival could have come out the winner in too many ways.

Would have had booking at an increased fare for a year out...so would not have lost anything there....BUT...would have had a customer running around telling the world what a wonderful company Carnival is and that is where everyone should go if you want a really good cruise!!!

So what have we learned?

ALWAYS buy cancellation insurance!!!

Dealing with cruise lines is not a lot different than doing business with any other huge, uncaring bureaucracy. It's just the nature of the beast!

Oh! And did I mention ALWAYS buy cancellation insurance.

Rules are rules...but this is one of those times where Carnival could have come out the winner in too many ways.

Would have had booking at an increased fare for a year out...so would not have lost anything there....BUT...would have had a customer running around telling the world what a wonderful company Carnival is and that is where everyone should go if you want a really good cruise!!!

So what have we learned?

ALWAYS buy cancellation insurance!!!

Dealing with cruise lines are not a lot different than doing business with any other huge, uncaring bureaucracy. It just the nature of the beast!

Oh! And did I mention ALWAYS buy cancellation insurance.

Thanks...lol..Honestly I didn't know cancellation insurance existed..I researched insurance and such, but never saw anything for cancellation (other than health and flight problems..)

Sorry but I can't agree with you on this one. The cancellation rules are clearly spelled out. Carnival is is clearly within the terms of the contract and in this economy you really can't expect them to do anything else. If we want the cruise lines to stay in business, everyone is going to have to realize that they are going to enforce penalties and stop giving price drops. They have to maximize income and those are two ways that they can do it.

I would think that w/ economy as bad as now, Carnival would rather make money on my upgrade to a suite which would be more than $750...but oh well.

Write carnival a letter, I had to do something like that a few years ago and they gave me a credit toward another cruise, however I had to use it in a with in a year.

I will. Thanks.. If they give me credit for a future cruise..it would be great..

I would think that w/ economy as bad as now, Carnival would rather make money on my upgrade to a suite which would be more than $750...but oh well.

Write that letter, maybe they will give you a 250.00 p.p. credit toward another cruise, seems to be a win , win....

Actually they will fill that suite and the cabin you booked, plus now they can also keep your $500. I dont think the cruise lines are as desperate as people think..at least not yet.

Ouch! That does seem a little harsh, especially since you were basically asking them to just rollover what you paid towards a different date. I remember reading that you thought this might happen as you posted on the roll call, I'm so sorry you're not going to be on with us!

Even Priceline worked my mil, and they change their airline plans to different dates all the time, usually for a small fee, but still, that does seem awfully steep. We book through the same TA all the time, in fact she works with our entire extended family as well. I wonder if you had booked through a TA and not gone directly through Carnival(I'm just assuming by the way you typed it) that they could have encouraged them a little differently. Maybe a letter stating that you planning on just scheduling it out later, but now because you think their fees are beyond normal fees for this kind of transaction, you're considering going on another line. (Hey, we'll be on NCL Spirit in April! Maybe we could meet you then. :) Ask if they would lower the penalty amount if you booked out immediately? Maybe you've already tried that. Darn!

Why not be honest and up front with the new employer. You did have previously plans before the job was accepted. You'd lose money and would you really want to work for a company that was so non-flexable? Just a thought anyway...

Ouch! That does seem a little harsh, especially since you were basically asking them to just rollover what you paid towards a different date. I remember reading that you thought this might happen as you posted on the roll call, I'm so sorry you're not going to be on with us!

Even Priceline worked my mil, and they change their airline plans to different dates all the time, usually for a small fee, but still, that does seem awfully steep. We book through the same TA all the time, in fact she works with our entire extended family as well. I wonder if you had booked through a TA and not gone directly through Carnival(I'm just assuming by the way you typed it) that they could have encouraged them a little differently. Maybe a letter stating that you planning on just scheduling it out later, but now because you think their fees are beyond normal fees for this kind of transaction, you're considering going on another line. (Hey, we'll be on NCL Spirit in April! Maybe we could meet you then. :) Ask if they would lower the penalty amount if you booked out immediately? Maybe you've already tried that. Darn!

Thanks..You are so sweet..!

Thanks..You are so sweet..!

Maybe this will help you understand better.

. CANCELLATION BY GUEST, REFUNDS

Reservations will be held until 30 minutes prior to departure. No refunds will be made in the event of “no shows”, unused tickets, lost tickets, interruptions, partially used tickets, or cancellations received late or after the start of the cruise. A cancellation occurs when a stateroom is released and not simultaneously rebooked on the same sailing. Carnival strongly recommends the purchase of trip cancellation insurance from your travel agent. Cancellation charges for individual bookings will be assessed as listed below. For cancellation charges related to group bookings, partial ship charters or full ship charters refer to your charter contract or group booking agreement for terms and conditions.

DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE DATE

CANCELLATION

CHARGE(per guest)

2,3,4 & 5

day cruises

Up to 61 days

60 to 30 days

29 to 8 days

7 days or less

None(except Cruises to Nowhere*)

Deposit**

50% of Total Fare

100% of Total Fare

6,7 & 8

day cruises

Up to 76 days

75 to 30 days

29 to 8 days

7 days or less

None

Deposit

50% of Total Fare

100% of Total Fare

Alaska Cruises, Cruise Tours and 10 day or longer cruises

Up to 76 days

75 to 46 days

45 to 15 days

14 days or less

None

Deposit

50% of Total Fare

100% of Total Fare

Europe Cruises

9, 12, 14, & 16 day

Up to 91 days

90 to 56 days

55 to 15 days

14 days or less

None

Deposit

50% of Total Fare

100% of Total Fare

South American Cruises and 14 day Panama Canal Cruise

14,17,18 day

Up to 91 days

90 to 56 days

55 to 15 days

14 days or less

None

Deposit

50% of Total Fare

100% of Total Fare

Thanks...lol..Honestly I didn't know cancellation insurance existed..I researched insurance and such, but never saw anything for cancellation (other than health and flight problems..)

there is "cancel for any reason" insurance, but Im not sure you would get back 100% of the deposit in any event.

I know I wish I had gotten insurance, Im almost within penalty period myself. scary stuff. Its always a gamble. There is something to be said for waiting until last minute to book for this reason for me. My parents are both elderly.

If I were in your shoes, I would write Carnival and see if they will give you a credit toward another cruise, cant hurt.

Change the names to someone else. ;)

One person in the original booking still has to go. If the OP is travelling with someone else I guess this would work for the other person, wouldnt help the OP lol, she still loses her cruise.

Archived