Voyager 5/17 Med Review

Returned Saturday night from the Voyager May 17 - 24 Med

r/t Barcelona, Spain; Villefranche (Nice), France; Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy; Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy; Naples, Capri, Italy; Palermo (Sicily), Italy.

First, in planning this trip we made the bad decision to not go in the day before because we were leaving our 3 and 5 year old girls behind. That was a huge mistake!! Our AA flight from JFK connecting into London got cancelled and we had to wait an additional 6 hours and so missed our connection leaving us spending the 1st night in London so to catch up with the cruise the next day. Six years ago we lost baggage into Barcelona and luckily we were staying in a hotel 2 days prior so we had it delivered in time before our cruise started. You never know!! Go the day before!

We had an Atrium (Promenade) view cabin and that was fun to people watch. We were on the 8th deck, cabin 8563. It was sound proof until Tuesday night they had a violinist and chello player right under us playing until 1am. You could instruments playing and could hear the parties and parades but those were fun to watch and short in length. Not a big deal really besides the 1am that time.

We have been on this same itinerary before and couldn’t wait to do it again knowing there is a lot to see and do different this time around. We made it into Villefranche around 2:30 and noticed that on their manifest of names there were about 50 others who apparently for what ever reason had to get on the ship that day. Yeeks! Once we checked in we went back out to walk around the quaint little town. It was nice to walk around and enjoyed it very much. The weather turned out to be very nice too. Last time we overlooked it because we did Nice, Eze and Monte Carlo. We were happy to discover Villefranche.

We kept debating between choosing the late seating or the main. Six years ago we did the late seating for the reasons most people do so to not be rushed when coming into port. This time we ended with choosing Main because we didn’t want to eat at 9:00 and then go to bed after midnight every night when you want to make the best of your full days in port. We enjoy going to the shows too so there was time for that afterwards. Main was 6:00 and 6:30 and late was 8:30 or 9:00. Thank God we ended up with 6:30, 6:00 we would have hated. Honestly, most nights and our table guests and ourselves didn’t make into the dining room until 6:45 anyways. Having cruised enough we know this isn’t really all together polite but we collectively did it so…

Livorno – this day we did a really nice tour to Cinque Terre through the cruise line. It was quaint, quaint quaint! It was made up of five perfectly set fishing villages with little cafés, shops and such. Movie set perfect! Some things were pricey probably because it was secluded. Once we motor coached to Manarola village then walked to Riomaggiore via the Dell’Amore “Lover’s Walk” and then took a boat over that completely sealed the deal on perfection and perception of these villages from the water, passing the 3rd one (Corniglia), onto the Vernazza village. We got off to roam around there and then reboarded to get to the 5th one, Monterosso, where there was almost 2 hours for lunch and browsing. We had 20 minutes or so in each of the others too. The weather was perfect and although those that went into Florence got rained on we had cloudy at best. Just as we started our return back it rained, but who cared by then!

Civitavecchia – we decided to train over to Rome this time. The port has a free 5 min. shuttle that is necessary to get you outside the port area and then it was about a good 12 minute walk to the train station. The train cost was like 38E roundtrip for both of us. We took the 9:42 train in and it took about 1 hour 20 min. to the main station. On the return we took the 4:45 or so back. Once we arrived at the main station we purchased the Rome Open Tour, hop on/off bus, for the day. It was 18E each. The bus time varied in time we found out and was a little far about so we walked a lot still and in the pouring rain all day long, I mean from the time we stepped foot off the ship until we returned, all day! It would have been a perfect day for the Vatican “inside” but we had done that last time which is still our highlight for Rome compared to this time.

Naples – Last time we trained over to Pompeii and Sorrento and hydofoiled back to Naples, which was really nice. This time I really wanted to go to Capri so we took the hydrofoil over. It was a decent walk from the pier. The ticket was 15E a person and the return was 17E each. There are a few different companies to choose from that have the high speed “jet” service. Don’t stop at the ferry building and think that is it, keep walking until you get to the hydrofoil stations just below the Castle Nuovo. Follow the others off the ship J it isn’t too far of a walk really. The hydrofoil we took was at 10:15 and they all are very frequent. Again rainy! I should say that last time we went it was the first week of May, so pretty much the same time frame, and it was sunny as can be the entire trip. It took about 55 minutes over and they had to go slower because it was just a bit rougher than normal. Matter of fact, last time it was fast and really cool this time it was a bit queezy for most. I kept my face peeled to the hills and horizon out the window and was just fine so I didn’t “see” a rocky boat going on. So anyways, Capri was nice. We took the funicular up to the top, 1,40E each and then walked around the whole area in and out of little streets. Quite snazzy. Then we took the little bus over to Ana Capri, 1,20E each. We went inside St. Michele church there and it was lovely. We ate lunch at a cute little café there, Dulcis In Fundo. It you just want drinking water with your meal just ask for “no gas.” That is a good time to use the potty too. Take advantage of the times you buy something or have a coffee or ice cream to ask to go to their potty J

Palermo – Perfect sunny day! What can I say about this city…big, kinda dirty and just not impressive. Too bad because I typically love checking out old cities like that and found this city fairly disappointing. Some of the architecture was good but none of the major sights were open so you felt like an observer. We did go into the Tesoro Cathedral and that was really nice. We also saw the catacombs underneath, some dating back to the 9th century! I used some of the time to buy some trinkets and such. We used again the hop on/off bus, 20E each same company, there and it was somewhat useful. I would recommend picking something else for the day. I heard Cefalu was nice. We got back on the ship about 5:00 and we joined others in hanging out by the pool enjoying the SUN!

Day at Sea – had a nice day hanging around the pool. Of course, just like the Caribbean you get those people that insist on setting up their towels on the lounge chairs poolside before 8am then don’t come out until 11:00 expecting those empty towels to still hold them a chair. I partially ignore this anymore… sorry if you do this I recommend if you insist on doing this then at least place a magazine of sandals indicating you are really out there somewhere or you will just forfeit the chair. It is understandable if you went for a quick lunch or breakfast but towels everywhere with no people or belongings is free game.

Dining – The meals in the dining room was really good I thought. My husband thought it wasn‘t as great as usual but he just didn’t pick good J The breakfast was and lunch in Windjammer was pretty basic.

Shows – the singers and dancers were great!! The magician was good but corny.

Our cruise was really nice and despite the 6 hour delay too getting home (!) again due to JFK AA flight arriving into BCN late, our luggage lost too at the end, it was a fun but rushed time for us in Europe with no time other than the cruise. I was surprised by the amount of children onboard. Of course most families were Europeans and understand how to travel and don’t have as far to travel either. The ship I would say had a good mix of people and nationalities, a really great crowd!

I enjoyed reading your review!

We'll also be on this itinerary in June.

Any favorite nights/menus in the Dining room? I am hoping for the 630 time too.:)

You don't happen to remember which evening that had FAMILY karaoke?

The lightly crusted Cod fish with rice was really good. The shrimp great, and steaks were good too. I had a shrimp cocktail nearly every night.

The only Karaoke I see listed on the Cruise Compass's I have saved are the Pub Karaoke in the Pig and Whistle pub 7-8 and 8:30 - 9:30 on day 4. Then day 7 Farewell Karaoke in the Cleopatra's Needle 9:30 - 11pm.

I need to make a correction on the train ticket to Rome - I found my ticket, the only one that was misplaced while writing my review for accuracy in pricing. It was only 9E each and used for roundtrip. We are sitting here questioning if that was roundtrip or not because the return train we just jumped on. No one collected tickets on the train either way now that I remember.

Great review. We'll be on this trip in October and I'm particularly pleased to see some tips about doing excursions on your own - don't like those ship trips and just find them too expensive. :rolleyes: Do you happen to know what time second sitting was for dinner. I've been told it will be 9.00 pm but have seen various threads saying 8.30, 9.00 or 9.30.

We're on the Voyager on 12 July and received our cruise documents today. We'd originally booked late dining but changed it to early a few months ago as I'd fall asleep in my soup if I didn't start eating before 9.30pm!

The cruise docs confirm the main sitting for dinner, but the space for the time is blank. So I still don't know what time it will be either.

The cabin was nice. Compared to most of ships we have been on the bed configuration was different. They put the little sofa in front of atrium window so you can sit and look out. The bedding was fine. I always ask for 2 sheets over us because I am not a fan of the duvet and epecially couldn't stand the old wool blankets they used to use. So that is my cover. I always ask for extra pillows too :)

The dining is 6:00 or 6:30 as the main dining and then 8:30 or 9:00 as the late. You won't know until you get there which time you actually received. I am pretty certain that you could get it changed the first day though. Each night most of the tables for 6:30 at least were half filled, at least for our sailing. Most Europeans definitely eat later. Last Med we did the late was filled I recall.

I hope our dining time is 6.30pm. 6.00pm will be too early - we won't even be onboard for that time following two of our excursions! It will be a rush for 6.30pm so we don't expect to be able to eat in the main dining room every night. My ideal time would be 7pm.

Thanks so much for your review, I'll be doing the same cruise on June 7, less than a week away!! Woohooo

Do you happen to know if I could take a train or bus to Pisa from Livorno after we get off the ship, then go into Florence after that?

Again, thanks for the review, it really helped me out.

kay

Great review. We'll be on this trip in October and I'm particularly pleased to see some tips about doing excursions on your own - don't like those ship trips and just find them too expensive. :rolleyes: Do you happen to know what time second sitting was for dinner. I've been told it will be 9.00 pm but have seen various threads saying 8.30, 9.00 or 9.30.

Hello Bobal,

Just read your post, we are booked on the Voyager 10/18. Just wondered when you were scheduled to sail. Our "Meet & Mingle" board has been very quiet, just a few cruisers so far. Thought I would check with you. We are taking the ships excursions in most ports, but did not schedule one for Palermo and are taking a private tour in Naples (don't need to see the cameo factory and wanted to pick ur own towns on the Amalfi coast). Either way, have a great trip.:)

Joanne

Joanne

We're on the sailing the week after yours - 25 October. Hope you have a great cruise.

Thanks so much for your review, I'll be doing the same cruise on June 7, less than a week away!! Woohooo

Do you happen to know if I could take a train or bus to Pisa from Livorno after we get off the ship, then go into Florence after that?

Again, thanks for the review, it really helped me out.

kay

We're planning to do Pisa by train and I found this timetable for the train which goes to Pisa then on to Florence http://www.ftroute.com/liv_fir_liv.htm. Hope it helps :)

Joanne

We're on the sailing the week after yours - 25 October. Hope you have a great cruise.

We'll leave her in good shape for you and waive on our way off...have a great trip!!!!

We're planning to do Pisa by train and I found this timetable for the train which goes to Pisa then on to Florence http://www.ftroute.com/liv_fir_liv.htm. Hope it helps :)

Joanne

What do people suggest to do in Palermo if not city tour?

Sandy

I have the same question, we have considered getting off the ship and finding a nice Sicilian restaurant (not touristy, if possible). Our last trip, we just walked into town and bought some wonderful pastries, but would like to have a nice lunch. Anyone have recommendations?

I have the same question, we have considered getting off the ship and finding a nice Sicilian restaurant (not touristy, if possible). Our last trip, we just walked into town and bought some wonderful pastries, but would like to have a nice lunch. Anyone have recommendations?

I was also on the 5/17 cruise. I took a ship's excursion in Palermo and it was very good - Old City & Monreale. If you don't want to do the excursion you can take a city bus to Monreale. The cathedral was stunning - one of the prettiest sights of the trip. Shops in Palermo close in the afternoon, except for the large department store downtown (La Rindeshina, I think?)

The port and shopping "expert" is helpful with information and directions if you decide you want to explore on your own.

twotraveljunkies - I think I spoke with you on the tender from Villefranche to the ship when you arrived on Sunday afternoon. I remember you saying how you did not want to be away from your little ones too long!

It's a terrific itinerary with so much to see - be sure to take comfy shoes!

I'm still working on my review but if you spend time in Barcelona post-cruise, try to make it to the cathedral around 6-6:30pm. If there is a band set up on the steps, you may be fortunate enough to see the sardana. That was one of the high points of my trip!

Liz

Liz,

That is so funny! I thought to ask you when we talked on the ferry when we arrived if you were on Cruise Critic because you said you were traveling alone and something else you said, I think that you came from Newark that reminded me of "Liz" from the roll call on here.

I wish we had the same feelings about Palermo but maybe you just have to take a tour like you did.

Theresa

Sandy..

We are doing cruise in 3 weeks, and hired private guides at each port.

For Palermo, here are 4 different tours offered by this company, we are doing the first one.(we used them 2 years ago for all our Italy stops)

http://www.driverinrome.com/shore_palermo.html

Corvettelover, enjoyed your review! Love your Corvette photo, I have 99 Pewter hatchback, love it!

Archived