Which port for whale watching?

MonicaL

We are cruising in X's Mercury on 8-24 and will be visiting Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan. Already have something booked for Ketchikan, but I wondering which is better for whale watching- Juneau or Sitka?

I am going on the Diamond Princess Southbound June 28 to July 5th. I will be spending some time in Seward before the cruise. Which is better for whales, Seward (from a small or medium size boat), Glacier National Park (from the Diamond Princess) or Juneau (from a small or medium size boat)? Or all of the above?

Thanks in advance.

I am going on the Diamond Princess Southbound June 28 to July 5th. I will be spending some time in Seward before the cruise. Which is better for whales, Seward (from a small or medium size boat), Glacier National Park (from the Diamond Princess) or Juneau (from a small or medium size boat)? Or all of the above?

Thanks in advance.

For humpbacks, definately Juneau. 100% sightings. You have NO tour options out of Glacier Bay, this is a scenic sailing day. What direction are you going?? You do have the opportunity for a look at humpbacks at Point Adolphus. Many ships do "stop" here on the southbound trips.

We are cruising in X's Mercury on 8-24 and will be visiting Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan. Already have something booked for Ketchikan, but I wondering which is better for whale watching- Juneau or Sitka?

Best?? Juneau. But also likely sightings of humpbacks out of Sitka on varied wildlife boat tours, with independent my recommendation. I would not hesistate to do both, if wildlife is your priority??

Went with Harv and Marvs in Juneau and saw both Orcas AND Humpbacks, Eagles, and Sea Lions. Pete (either Harv or Marv this year) was Great and very informative. We watched a pod of Orcas for about 30 minutes!!

Good luck.

Barry

Was in Seward on the 23rd and went on Kenai Fjords 6 hour with Renown, saw pod of Orcas and humpback whale mother and calve. However, boat trip was ended early because of rough seas and they thought one passenger onboard needed medical attention.

Was in Juneau on the 27th and got lucky with a very sunny, warm, and calm water day. Went with Harv and Marv's, also very lucky to have extended whale viewing for about a half an hour noninterrupted. A mother and her calve were present. The calve played near the surface the entire time and breeched twice!

Juneau for whales, definitely. There's usually resident whales in the area and lower travel time on water to see whales.

Archived