cost of taxi to pier in Vancover

cheza

hi, we are booked on an Alaska cruise on the Millenium on the 22nd sept 2008, we are from the uk & are flying in on the 21st & staying at the fairmont just opposite the pier, but I believe our cruise goes from another pier, I presume we will have to make our own way there, does anyone know how long it take & do you have any idea how much it will cost in a taxi, or will there be a bus that goes there.

Thanks in advance.

chez

:-)

Well, if you are going from Canada Place, the hotel is right across the street from the hotel. If it is from Ballantyne, then it is a short taxi ride (approx $12). From the airport to the hotel, there are a few options: there is an airporter (www.yvrairporter.com) that stops at various hotels coming into town. This could take approx 45 min to 1 hour and costs approx $14 per person one way. The taxi to downtown Vancouver hotels is approx $40. The bus will be public transit and will take you approx 3 buses to get into town and could take forever, but it only costs $4 per person. I would either go with the airporter or the taxi.

hi, we are booked on an Alaska cruise on the Millenium on the 22nd sept 2008, we are from the uk & are flying in on the 21st & staying at the fairmont just opposite the pier, but I believe our cruise goes from another pier, I presume we will have to make our own way there, does anyone know how long it take & do you have any idea how much it will cost in a taxi, or will there be a bus that goes there.

http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/schedule/index.php?

Indeed, it leaves from Ballantyne. Should be a little under $15 for a cab from the Fairmont. Although there are lots of buses in Vancouver, none get you near the terminal, you're better off with a taxicab.

As someone else pointed out, from the airport to downtown, the YVR airporter is the way to go (yvrairporter.com)

It sounds like you are staying at the Fairmont Waterfront which is across the street from the Canada Place terminal. Fairmont operate two other hotels in Vancouver, one at the airport and the venerable Hotel Vancouver just a few blocks from their Waterfront property.

Scotbee has nailed the cab fare from the Fairmont Waterfront to the Ballantyne pier and your travel time will be only about 10 minutes. However there tends to be a shortage of cabs in Vancouver so you may have to wait a little while for one.

http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/schedule/index.php?

Indeed, it leaves from Ballantyne. Should be a little under $15 for a cab from the Fairmont. Although there are lots of buses in Vancouver, none get you near the terminal, you're better off with a taxicab.

As someone else pointed out, from the airport to downtown, the YVR airporter is the way to go (yvrairporter.com)

I am also sailing from Vancouver in July and all this time thought that we were sailing on the Mercury from Canada Place, but thanks to the link above, I have discovered we are sailing from Ballantyne (What the heck is that?). We are staying at the Westin Bayshore the night before, and I assume we will need a cab to get to the pier. Is the Ballantyne pier new, or is it a dumpy makeshift terminal that they use for overflow?

Thanks for the link. I would have been waiting at Canada Place for a ship that wasn;t there.:D

omg Bugsy, just as well I posted this question, couldn't do with you missing your cruise lol.

Thanks you all for your replies, when I had posted my post, it sounded a little arrogant, saying I assume we will have to make our own way to the port, what I should have said is that we had booked, flights, Fairmont hotel & cruise through Celebrity & they are collecting us at the airport on the Sunday & taking us to the hotel, but I doubted they would take you to the port the next day, which being unlucky is not the one across from the hotel.

The taxi option is the only way to go. Thank you all, you are a mind of info.

A very happy cruiser (now).

Chez

:-)

I am also sailing from Vancouver in July and all this time thought that we were sailing on the Mercury from Canada Place, but thanks to the link above, I have discovered we are sailing from Ballantyne (What the heck is that?). We are staying at the Westin Bayshore the night before, and I assume we will need a cab to get to the pier. Is the Ballantyne pier new, or is it a dumpy makeshift terminal that they use for overflow?

Thanks for the link. I would have been waiting at Canada Place for a ship that wasn;t there.:D

No Ballantyne is not new, it is part of our maritime history and a container port and they have made it up into a cruise terminal. Canada Place a few years ago added another berth, so it can hold 3 ships. Ballantyne has been used as a cruise terminal for the last 20 something years. I know it is not in the best locations, but as Canada Place cannot hold all of the ships coming into Vancouver, they use Ballantyne as well.

Chez: usually, if you book air and hotel throught the cruise line the package includes transfers to the ship as well.

This has been the case with us, booking all through the cruiseline.

Well you would have been in the right terminal if you had been sailing last year but this year Celebrity is using Ballantyne rather than Canada Place. You definitely will need a taxi from the Bayshore Inn to Ballantyne and your fare will likely be about $20.

Archived