Please explain to me why so many threads on who the CD is on various ships?

I just don't understand what the big deal is for many folks about what CD will be on there upcoming cruise?? I have cruised with CCL about 15 times now and to me I just don't really care who the CD is as for the most part I feel they are annoying salesman with their endless sales pitches over the PA. Only once in all my cruises did the CD have any "real talent" a magic act he performed on the Inspiration about 5 years ago (I don't remember his name). I am not bashing here just trying to understand the importance any CD adds to a cruise experience??? The one CD I found to be a hoot was Lenny Holiday as he reeked of booze everytime I ran into him. (Doubt CCL would approve).

Gotta say, I often wonder too why people obsess over who is going to be the CD on their cruise...... That certainly is not why I go on a cruise. I have been on many CCL ships and have come across some CD's that were better than others, but not to the point that they made my cruise any better or worse than the other. Don't get me wrong and I am not seeking to be flamed on this, but I just don;t get it either ! :D

Some cruisers enjoy investigating every aspect of their cruise before they leave. Perhaps it's just curiosity. I agree, some CDs are better than others but they aren't going to make or break a cruise for me. I love cruising regardless of who the CD is.

Some cruisers enjoy investigating every aspect of their cruise before they leave. Perhaps it's just curiosity or part of the fun of cruising for them. I agree, some CDs are better than others but they aren't going to make or break a cruise for me. I love cruising regardless of who the CD is.

For me it's not so much about the onboard personality of the cruise director. Some are outgoing and ever-present, while others are seen by most only in the show lounge, or heard over the public address system.

My personal desire of a quality cruise director is to have a well organized, and polished, evening show by the entertainers. They report directly to the cruise director. If a cruise director pops in on rehearsals (as he/she should) then those rehearsals are most likely not a waste of the entertainers' time. If he/she has developed a great bond with the performers, then they're wanting to please the cruise director as well as the passengers (and themselves).

One of my '07 cruises was being handled by the assistant cruise director, and it seemed like the young men and women onstage wanted to see how much they could get by with that week. . . and did. One show almost came to a halt, with many onstage laughing and flubbing choreography. Other performers in the wings were doing their best to distract them.

There's one cruise director that gets both love & hate comments on these boards, but if he's onboard the ship, you can bet the entertainment is going to be more upscale.

To me, the cruise director should be the person behind the scenes making sure that all the entertainments and events work well...Not be a personality and the star of the cruise. I don't need someone to tell me if I am having a good time, nor to entertain me. I go on a cruise to get away, to relax...I am perfectly happy to be in a chair somewhere watching the water go by. I do love the production shows, and on longer cruises, the enrichment talks. EM

I don't understand it either...doesn't affect my cruise one way or the other, although a great cruise director can enhance a cruise (John Heald, Chris Jefferson). I also don't get the need to see the Capers, know what night is formal night, see the menus, etc. It's going to happen or not, and to me, it's nice not knowing every detail. However, some like that, so I'm not going to begrudge them that info!

I think a lot of people who post on these boards feel the need, for some reason, to "buddy up" to whomever the CD is. They are frequent cruisers, platinum or above, and the Cd is a personal friend, or at least they think he is. Kind of like the people who say, "when you see waiter so-and-so, say hello from me." Now with thousands of cruisers every week, do you think every waiter or cabin steward is gonna remember Ms. Jones and her adorable 6 yr. old daughter from 3 mos. ago? I think not. Its just an ego trip for these people. I don't care who the CD or the waiter or the steward is, just as long as they do their job to my expectations.

I started a thread this a.m. about "who is the CD", frankly I never expected this much negative response to a seemingly harmless question.

That said, while I don't claim to speak for others, I think many would agree some CD's are better than others and some are way better still. If you don't care who the CD is that's fine, it's your cruise.

For me personally the CD is not a deal breaker as to will I take that cruise or not (I can tune out the annoying salesman as well as the next guy), however, knowing that I have a cruise director with a great reputation for having a good time, it just gives me one more thing to look forward to.

By the way, does anyone know who the current CD is on the Liberty?:D

I agree with many. Don't care at all. The only time I ever notice the CD is when he is making all those annoying announcements that can be heard even in the cabins. Disturbs my nap:p !!

I don't understand the whole thing either.

Different strokes, I guess...............

He/she runs the things that most would enjoy on a cruise. The good ones seem to make the cruise that much more fun.

The not so good ones....BLAH.

There are more good than not on Carnival.

When I first started reading CC I asked the same question. Why would anyone care?

Now I understand. I cruised in March then again in May.

The March cruise was blahhhhh. There were sea days when we could not find anything to do, and the things that were going on the people that hosted them seam totally uninterested in being there. It was one of the first cruises I actually read two books.

In May WOW I never had enough time to do all that I wanted to do. One activity after another and the energy level was over the top (in a good way).

So in answer to your question I care who the CD is because a good one can be the icing on the cake.

The May cruise

I did make a post today asking about the CD is on the Legend. Do I book a crusie based on whom my CD is?

NO!

It was just a question that was a result of a bad rewiew of the current CD.

In that same post they mentioned that the current CD was leaving on June 1st.

To be honest, I would of never even thought of asking the question, but OP talked about the CD in their review.

BTW-if questions about CD annoy you just don't read that post!

:)

Doesn't matter to me either but would u believe that on 4 cruises we had the same CD on 3 of them :eek: ? Could u sit through the same jokes :mad: ? We could not! The CD even recognized us and asked my son who was a teen, not to spoil the jokes for the others but shouting out his lines!

I never thought the CD mattered much... until we took the blogger's cruise this past January with John Heald and had a fabulous time. He really did make the cruise so much more enjoyable. I can't imagine anyone else pulling off the show he did. :)

In retrospect, I can remember having a really annoying (excuse me) schmucky CD on a previous trip. Like cheesy/fake/schmoozy... just not good.

It's definitely not a deal breaker for me, but I would love to cruise with John again.

- Jess

Really, I couldn't care less who is the CD as long as they don't make frequent announcements I fine with anyone. I also don't care who the captain is as long as he's skilled. I don't think Carnival(or any major cruise line for that matter) would have an unskilled one. I agree that some people like to just feel they are "friends" of these people. Maybe a few are but it really is a credit to Carnival that they can hire people who make you feel like a special lifelong friend.

He/she runs the things that most would enjoy on a cruise. The good ones seem to make the cruise that much more fun.

The not so good ones....BLAH.

There are more good than not on Carnival.

WOOOHOOO:rolleyes:

I dont even know who the CDs were on my past cruises except my Triumph cruise when I had John Heald and Wee Jimmy and learned about them from this board after that. When I read all the posts about CDs and how much others know about them I feel like I have been missing out on something by not paying much attention but it never seemed that important to me. After reading the reasons why I can see now why it can be important to some and not so important to others. Like wanting to read the Capers before hand. I am guilty of that but only because it helps me pass the time until I can actually hold the real thing. Silly probably but I enjoy the feeling I get from it. Everyone has their things I guess to help them pass the time until Embarkation Day!:D

I just don't understand what the big deal is for many folks about what CD will be on there upcoming cruise?? I have cruised with CCL about 15 times now and to me I just don't really care who the CD is as for the most part I feel they are annoying salesman with their endless sales pitches over the PA. Only once in all my cruises did the CD have any "real talent" a magic act he performed on the Inspiration about 5 years ago (I don't remember his name). I am not bashing here just trying to understand the importance any CD adds to a cruise experience??? The one CD I found to be a hoot was Lenny Holiday as he reeked of booze everytime I ran into him. (Doubt CCL would approve).

I have to agree with you, I really don't understand it at all.

I dont even know who the CDs were on my past cruises except my Triumph cruise when I had John Heald and Wee Jimmy and learned about them from this board after that. When I read all the posts about CDs and how much others know about them I feel like I have been missing out on something by not paying much attention but it never seemed that important to me. After reading the reasons why I can see now why it can be important to some and not so important to others. Like wanting to read the Capers before hand. I am guilty of that but only because it helps me pass the time until I can actually hold the real thing. Silly probably but I enjoy the feeling I get from it. Everyone has their things I guess to help them pass the time until Embarkation Day!:D

I also would not be able to tell you who our CD was on two of our cruises, but on our first Glory cruise we had John Heald and he was really great.

I also do not book my cruises based on the CD. A good CD is just icing on the cake as another poster said.

I would love to cruise with John again if we ever had the chance.

I'm with the group that couldn't care less who the CD is.

In fact, I can't even name the CD 20 minutes after I leave the ship. That's how important they are to me!!!!!

I also never got the group that planned their entire vacation around the CD. Who cares???

Everyone raved about Becky on Mariner of the Seas. Frankly, I found her to be annoying. She brought "perky" to a whole new level. It was phony, it was so perky. Yet people just loved her. Go figure.................

Archived