Cruising with a 1 and a half y/o

as143ks

Hi Everyone, I have posted on here from time to time but havent in awhile but I have some new cruising questions. Okay here goes...

DH and I sailed on RCCL Sovereign of the Seas back in Sept. We had a fantastic time! We originally were going to go to Disney World this summer but decided our DS (who is 1 yr old) was probably too young and we could take 3 cruises for what we would pay at WDW. So we cancelled. My parents were going to go too (to WDW that is) but then opted out as well, etc, etc, So we are itching do to a new vacation. We though doing a family cruise would be fun and have asked my parents (they havent cruised in 30+ year-NCL). They want to do it but we are all conflicted on what to do. Firstly...

1. My parents want to do Celebrity since it is supposed to be "fancy". I say nay b/c I feel that DS would be way to young for that since we are taking him. Do you think RCCL or Carnival have a better kids program?

2. My parents are pretty oppossed to Carnival since my sis went a couple years ago and hated it. They feel it is just a "party boat" but from I have read on these boards it isnt so bad..or is it?

3. We live in GA so it would be closer to drive to Mobile to take a CCL there versus Pt. Canaveral or Ft. Lauderdale (which we are looking at the Enchantment). So that is more of a reason to take Carnival but then again I guess it depends on the ship-has anyone ever been on both of these?

Sorry for all of the ?'s. DH are not picky but since we are taking the whole brood we kinda have to be. Any suggestions on a particular cruise or cruise line? Thank you so much!

**Also, what's the smallest room I can get away with on a ship? We had an OV on RCCL and it was tight, not sure about Carnival though.

I am a little confused about how many are going, and how many cabins you need...And what time of year. Come late Sept, Carnival Fascination will be sailing from Jacksonville, closer than Port. C. Cabins on Carnival are larger than RCCL, so two with a crib would not be too crowded. Come daylight, there will be others her to give you more info. As to kids programs, your child is too young to participate except with you present. And you will not be able to take him into any of the pools until fully potty trained, no diapers or swimmie diapers allowed. Here is what the carnival website says about Camp Carnival:

Camp Carnival is unable to accept children Under 2 years during activity times but we do offer babysitting services for you within Camp Carnival. We do not offer in cabin babysitting. Babysitting services for Under 2's are available each evening from 10pm-3am as well as our Family Play Times on Sea Days and during freeplay times on port days. All babysitting services for Under 2's are charged at babysitting price ($6.00 an hour). During Family Play Times on Sea Days parents with Under 2's are welcome to stay with their under 2's at no charge. Check the on board Camp Carnival capers for specific times.

Since the lowest age limit for kids programs on Celebrity would be 3 years, except for family play times, (and they do offer in-cabin babysitting,) you might just let the grandparents have their way this time...

Toddler Time

Children participating in organized X-Club events must be age 3 and fully potty trained. However you can accompany your child to the Fun Factory or any organized activity. Toddler Time is also offered to allow the parents of toddlers and their children to interact with other children their age. The X-Club team will provide suitable toys and products for your toddlers. Please check the X-Club daily program for times and locations. In accordance with USPH policies and standards, Celebrity has provided each vessel with lavatory based changing tables and baby wipes.

EM

We will need 2 rooms, one for my parents (they want a balcony) and one for DH, myself and the baby. If we can get away with an oceanview, we will do so. From what I have been reading, Enchantment of the Seas is one of the few that allow babies in the pool so we may have to go with them. I realize that he is too young for a kids program but the pool will give us something to do. Also, it seems like a lot of the ships closer to us are smaller and have few rooms with balconies so I guess that is out. We are thinking of Oct/Nov because prices seem to be lower then.

From the RCCL website, it does not appear that Enchantment allows babies in pools...

Please note: Due to Public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups, or who are not COMPLETELY toilet trained are not allowed in the pools, whirlpools, or H2O zone.

On the Freedom of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas children in diapers, or who are not toilet trained may use the Baby Splash Zone" specially designated for them

From the RCCL website, it does not appear that Enchantment allows babies in pools...

Please note: Due to Public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups, or who are not COMPLETELY toilet trained are not allowed in the pools, whirlpools, or H2O zone.

On the Freedom of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas children in diapers, or who are not toilet trained may use the Baby Splash Zone" specially designated for them

Actually the RCCL web site seems to be wrong in regards to Enchantment. One of the moms from this board came back with pictures to prove that Enchantment does have a Baby Splash zone...

You can see them here....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=685062

Disney also has a splash area for kids in swim diapers. Cunard's kids program is open to kids age 12 months and up. But of course cost is a factor for both of those lines.

Archived