Best Diamonds International Store in Carribean?

LolaBunny

If this doesn't belong here, please feel free to move it.

I was wondering which of the following Carribean ports has the best DI?

Bahamas or St. Maarten?

We purchased an anniversary band in Matzatlan and are interested in upgrading the ring. We would be looking to contact the store ahead of time and speak to them regarding getting the same ring I own in stock in a slightly larger carat size.

Those of you who have been to both of these ports, which would you recommend?

thanks!

I would never buy from diamonds international. They have been known to overcharge on their diamonds. St. Marteen has many jewerly stores with great prices. My husband bought me a beautiful blue diamond ring there at a jewerly store named venetian ( not sure of the spelling). Their jewerly was top of the line quality. In 4 years my ring has doubled in value. When I was in the bahamas I stopped in diamonds international to pick up a island charm.They wanted almost 400.00 dollars more for the same ring !!! That really blew me away. Be careful and always try to work a deal out. I am just trying to help you out. Please donot think that I am being rude.

I would say St. Maarten, however if I were you I would also look at some of the other jewelry boutiques and not limit yourself to just DI. (unless that's where you purchased your original ring)

Check out Cardow--excellent quality. We've had nothing but great experiences with them...and our appraisals here at home as well.

Here's another vote against Diamond's International. Their prices are not all that great and I'm suspect of the quality of their merchandise. They do not hold up their end of the contract when something is defective. My sister purchased an emerald ring, and while still on the cruise, the emerald broke in half. She had to fight for more than three months to get her money back. I've seen items at DI and then went to other stores and found the same item for a lot less.

We have had good luck at a small store in ST. Thomas.:) Royal Carribean jewelers. They are not on the ships list because they don't pay the extortion money. You can negotiate a good deal and enjoy a comp drink while you do it. We had the blue diamonds we bought appraised at home and did very well. They are in the new mall across from the ships.Diamond international is a big chain found in every island. I suggest you learn how to use a loop before you shop.

Back to the OP's question....

I would say St Maartens. The overhead there is less than in the Bahamas, so it stands to reason they may be in a better bartering position.

Unfortunately, over the years DI has changed and not for the better.

10 years ago, I made wonderful purchases from them. One of the store managers was a friend of mine. She has since retired, married and had a little one. She is greatly missed.

What I liked about DI at the time was they did more of their own original designs. I purchased two tennis bracelets that I love, because I loved the unique design. I did not (and still don't) like the XOXO or SSS designs that are sold and back then...that is all there was.

Both tennis bracelets appraised for far more than I paid for them and were exactly as described in the Certificate. I also have one sapphire and diamond ring that is (again) a unique design and it too appraised for more than I paid and is exactly as described in the certificate.

My advice to you in dealing with today's DI is to understand that "their last price is never their last price". Personally, I don't like the way they do business today. But if you know how to deal with them....you can still get what you are looking for at a good price.

But again, you must a fully informed consumer. Instead of saying you want to trade up...I would suggest that you email the St Maarten store and tell them what you are looking for. (carat weight, color etc) Make sure that none of the diamonds are lazer drilled or filled stones. This will be noted on the Certificate. I have seen more and more lazer drilled stones showing up and they are not worth the money paid for them. I would also go to a local dealer and get an idea of the going rate for a ring like you are wanting.

I would send a picture in the email and say "this is what I am interested in".

Tell them when you will be in port and have the manager have some selections for you to look at. THEN IF you find one that you like, make sure you agree on a price BEFORE you say "by the way" I want to trade in this DI ring. You must have ALL the original paperwork with you. (and I do mean ALL)

I understand that you are dealing with DI because you want to use their "upgrade policy"....just be aware that at today's DI...you are going to have to be more guarded.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!

Have you tried going to a quality jewelry store where you live? I have a very reputable jewelry store in Annapolis where we live but I too purchased items at a Diamond store that had been recommend to me in St. Martin.

I purchased 3/4 ct/ea diamond earrings, and a wt 1 3/4 ct w pie cut diamond ring. When the owner of the store showed me these items they were in white 18K gold. I said that I would not purchase them because I was only interested in yellow 14K or 18K gold. He said he would reset them if I could wait. He sent us to lunch (on him) at a lovely restaurant down the street while we waited.

The earrings were sold to me as ".74, matched diamonds, set in 18K, screw back settings"

The ring "2.56 c./tw diamonds/pie cut/set in 18k yellow gold"

When I got home I took both items to my local jeweler:

1: to have the screw backs changed to friction backs

2: to have the ring made smalled

3: to get an official appraisal for my insurance company

I gave them the receipt from the store in St. Martin.

1. The earrings: They were NOT matched diamonds; 1 was .69 one was .74 and they were totally different color and clarity

AND one was set in stainless steel and one in white gold, both gold plate!

2. The ring was not reset in yellow gold - IT WAS GOLD PLATED!

The owner of the store told me he would have had to order diamonds of that low quality, as he does not normally carry them, but he could have sold me what I purchase for MUCH less!

I GOT RIPPED OFF - I WILL NEVER PURCHASE JEWELRY IN THE ISLANDS AGAIN!

THIS WAS SUPPOSE TO BE A REPUTABLE PLACE!

I am only suggesting that you get a price from a 'good' jeweler before you get a price from DI. And I do not mean Kay's or Littman's etc. I mean a REAL jeweler. JUST MY OPINION.

Archived