Costa Maya and Progresso - What's to do?

CoBob

Hi

We are going on the Glory in 2 weeks and just can't seem to find anything to do in Costa Maya or Progresso. I've got Belize and Cozumel all set but the other two are a blank.

Any suggestions? (Carnival excursion or on our own ideas)

Thanks

I haven't been to Progresso, but in Costa Maya I prefer to do it on my own. Our last trip there, we took a cab into the village of Mahahual. Much more rustic that the actual port area of Costa Maya. We sat near the beach and had a perfectly beautiful day shopping, eating and sipping a few drinks. I had a massage on the beach too that was inexpensive and pure heaven! There are things to do in Costa Maya, but it doesn't take long to see it all. You can do both. Check out the Ports of Call forum for other ideas.:)

Progresso is a lovely town. Just walk around. There is a open air marketplace with goods much cheaper than Cozumel. There is a double decker city bus that takes you on a tour around town. The beach is pretty nice and there are some cafes near the beach front along, with a walk up Carona bar that sells bottles for 1.00. Not as commercial as Cozumel . There are also shops when you come off the ship. Then you take a bus into town . Good place to spend a few hrs. Don't listen to people who say stay on the ship , you will miss a lot. Everyone in our group loved the atmosphere of Progresso.

In the center of the shopping plaza area near the restrooms over to the right rear was a stand that was selling tours. We had a group of 6 and they took us to the Mayan ruins for a guided tour and then to Majahual - a must do! We snorkeled there and it was ok, but don't expect the modern boats, equipment you will see in Cozumel.Don't remember the price, but very reasonable - much better than ship excursion prices. The village is so picturesque!This was a great and "different" port!

We too were approached with a tour once off the Glory.

This one was an air conditioned tourist bus to the Reef resort on the beach with free drinks. It was only 15.00 and the resort was beautiful. A great pool and play area for the kids, sea kayaks, hammocks on the beach, and all the drinking you would want to do (we are not big partiers, but they had a frozen drink with Bailey's, coconut milk and Kaluha that I could not stay away from!)

They also offered a short trip to a Mayan ruin (a small one of course) but not many of us wanted to leave.

We all had a great time--ages 62 down to 6.

Punk

We loved Costa Maya and it's one port I can't wait to go back too. First we loved around the pier area lots of vendors and shops. We purchased horseback riding for $40.oo PP and then took a cab into the little village and what a wonderful horseback ride it was great. Then we got lunh on the beach and sat and relaxed with a few drinks.

The picture really don't do the place justice. The pools are huge and clean. The hammocks on the beach were wonderful. The water wasn't the crystal blue I had hope, so it wouldn't be a good place for a "beach" destination, but a great place for kids to get out of the salt water pools, do some kayaking, and just relax for the day.

We ship folks were the only ones there, so we had the place to ourselves. Some of the help did a bit of dancing for us, and there was a great buffet for 5.00 under a huge palapa.

All in all a wonderful relaxing day!

Punk

Co Bob and Steve.

Reguarding the beach--nah, I wouldn't use this as a 'beach' destination. Pretty churned up water, seemed to drop off deep pretty close to shore.

Steve- we were approched by these tour folks right at the shopping area as you get off the ship (before the long pier). They did have a booth there next to some other souvenir vendors.

The motorcoach ride was about a 1/2 hour from Progresso (we had a little time to shop there at the small open market before the bus left.

Punk

Steve,

You don't have to tender in Progresso. The bus took us right back to the pier (this is a very long pier that you have to take a shuttle to get into Progreso.)We only had a few minutes to shop around there before we needed to be back on the Glory.

There were no early buses back. There was only one group, and we were it.

So basically

-get off ship on pier with some shops

-look for or be approached by someone selling a day at the Reef Club

-take the shuttle into town-there's a little market there too.

-get on bus right outside of market to the Reef Resort

-the bus will take you back to the pier (no shuttle riding this time)

If you go, plan to spend your entire day at the resort.

Have a great time--when are you going?

Punk

Sorry guys,

I don't remeber who the tour was with, but they did have a booth at the pier. There was a lady in her 50s who was promoting the tour with pictures. She was the tour guide.

I suppose you could get a cab back earlier, Steve, but it was a good half hour from the Reef resort to the pier.

Punk

• 5 weeks later...

Do you have to wait for others to join the group before they take you to the resort? What time did you leave? What time did you return? How was the buffet? You mentioned it was $5 per person. Also, what was the cost? Included drinks or not? Alcoholic?

Archived