America's Cup...what happens if there is no wind for sailing?

vmom

My DH and I had signed up to do the America's cup excursion last time we were in St. Martin, but at the last minute, changed our mind and did the Lord Shefields instead.

On that day there was NO wind and the Lord Shefield, being a sailing vessel, was not able to move with the sails, so we had to use the motors and motored to where we were going. We talked later...what would have happened if we had not changed excursions and tried to do the America's Cup? Would we have had fun since it is a sailing race.

Now we are returning to St. Martin and trying to decide what to do, and of course are again considering America's Cup.

What happens if there isn't much wind to real get the sailing boats moving?

Or not moving much?

Without much wind, it is a much more relaxing time!

On our race day, the wind was quite good, but when it dropped, we relaxed and waited for it to pick up again. They try to turn the boat to get the best from the wind. That's where the saying "chasing the wind" comes from. We also experienced being "in the doldrums".

Here's the story of our own America's Cup race under those exact circumstances.

Bulldog, the morning DJ on Laser 101 radio, interviews us about our day at sea. (5 minute audio)

gary

Thanks for posting the link for the interview. Goes to prove that with a good attitude, you can have a great time.

Looking forward to the excursion. The staff seemed really friendly and energetic.

Sandy

We just got back from our trip a couple of weeks ago. There was NO wind. It was a nice relaxing trip but the crew members make it fun! Get on Ben Rob and Liam's boat; they were awesome! Tell them they come highly recommended from The Wendys and you are a shoe in! Either way, you will have a great time and the excursion is definitely worth it. You will also love Steve's Recap of America's Cup and your ride on Chair Force 1.

Does anyone know if they still give a free new t-shirt if you turn up to sail in one of their t-shirts?

Wore my shirt on May 30 and was given a free t-shirt. I spent thousands on the cruise but came home with my free $20 t-shirt.:)

No wind is what we old Great Lakes sailors call normal conditions for late July and August. Drifting races are very tactical and can be relaxed or very hard work depending on how competitive the crews are. There is nothing like a tacking contest with winds around a half a mile an hour to wear out the grinders. ;)

Doc

Archived