Porting in Cozumel: worth coming to PDC?

cheesey2

Hi- we will be arriving in Cozumel in June on the Valor, and we're wondering whether we will have time to check out PDC and/or see a cenote? Would this make sense, and be worth the effort? We tried going through Edventure, but they say we wouldn't have enough time to take their tour. Are there other options, or are we better off staying on Cozumel? Thanks!

Depends on how much time you have in port. The ferry takes nearly an hour each way. Runs on the hour so depending on when you get there that may be over two hours total. I personally love the east side of Cozumel. I would much rather get a jeep and cruise up and down the coast stopping at beach bars like Coconuts, etc. than using the day riding the ferry. There are several dune buggy tours of cozumel also that are a lot of fun, with driving on the beach, up the coast, snorkel and eating great lunch and having a couple of cervasas. Do a little shopping downtown. Just my dos centovos.

Hi- we will be arriving in Cozumel in June on the Valor, and we're wondering whether we will have time to check out PDC and/or see a cenote? Would this make sense, and be worth the effort? We tried going through Edventure, but they say we wouldn't have enough time to take their tour. Are there other options, or are we better off staying on Cozumel? Thanks!

We've been to Cozumel on a cruise and Playa on a land vacation. My thoughts:

Shops are pretty much the same selling the same stuff

Beer is the same

Senor Frogs in both places

Playa does have a very pretty beach, but you'll probably see many beaches on your cruise.

My recommendation is to stay in Cozumel and enjoy the shopping, drinks, food, etc. and save Playa for a time when you can take a land vacation.

• 2 months later...

I dearly love Playa del Carmen. It's my favorite place in the world. But I thought I would check into a cruise to for a change.

Yes, cenotes are very interesting. But there's good diving and snorkeling on Cozumel, too. If cenotes are worth 2 hours of your time and however much the ferry costs these days and taxi fare; then you should go. I'm thinking about earning my scuba certification. If I were scuba certified, I would probably head to Playa so I could dive in a cenote.

But go ahead & laugh but you know the number one reason to go to Playa if you're in Cozumel?

The Walmart. Or the Mega. If you need emergency supplies of diapers, Coca Cola Light, sunscreen or Concha y Toro; you can walk from the Playa ferry pier to Walmart, if you don't mind some heat & humidity. If you have film, you can have it developed there, too.

Also, the Playa Walmart has the least expensive souvenirs. And these souvenirs are "Hecho en Mexico" not "Hecho en China" like some places on Cozumel or on 5th Ave in Playa.

Archived