Best cruise line for early teens and grandma?

llynn1013

Hello - my husband and I will be on the Star 6/21 and my mother is now jealous. She wants to take out 14 yrs old son on an Alaskan cruise this summer but we are wondering what cruise line would be best for them. He loves video games and is not really a sports kind of kid. Thank you for any suggestions. Laura

The NCL ships have Wii which I'm sure your son would love. I really like the freestyle of NCL for heavily port intensive cruises such as Alaska. I like freestyle for everything, but my mother who is kind of on the fence with it, LOVED it for Alaska. She said she couldn't imagine coming back from a day of Alaska adventure then having to dress for dinner.

We went to Alaska in 2003 so I'm not sure if things are still the same, so with that in mind, I would have rathered sail a one way cruise in order to see more of Alaska, but the one way cruises were more expensive plus the additional airfare put it beyond our budget.

I wouldn't even think of HAL with only Grandma and a 14 year old son. maybe if was the entire family it would be different. Of course Disney wouldn't work either for Alaska. I think for the age mixture I would give NCL a shot, followed by RCI and Princess. I am judging this on the age difference. Of course there are always more senior sailing Alaska than any other itinerary and fewer kids. Through the years this has changed some. Families are opting for the adventure of Alaska more.

Nita

Cant comment on the grandma part but we researched the different cruises extensively and ended up booking the NCL Pearl for our family Alaska cruise (13 yr old and 10 yr old). Its convenient because it goes round trip out of Seattle and it does the Glacier Bay itinerary which a lot of people say is a cant miss. The ship is onyl a couple years old and has a bowling alley and such. Our kids are excited anyway. Good luck.

Hello - my husband and I will be on the Star 6/21 and my mother is now jealous. She wants to take out 14 yrs old son on an Alaskan cruise this summer but we are wondering what cruise line would be best for them. He loves video games and is not really a sports kind of kid. Thank you for any suggestions. Laura

As far as teens are concerned the best cruise is with princess because they have great security and follow the teens all over with their yellow shirts. Im not sure about NCL yet, until I take my cruise in three weeks on the Dawn. My 16 year old, at the time wore a bath robe and they followed him for about an hour until they finally told him to go change.

I just took a cruise (5/25/08) on NCL Spirit with my 14 yr old granddaughter and 11 yr old grandson. We had a wonderful time! The kids loved every minute. There were lots of WI activities for the kids, they liked the shows, etc. The 11 yr old went to Kids' Crew when they scheduled something that interested him, and enjoyed it. The teen club was only sporadically active. I guess teens are harder to round up. They did meet a lot of kids while playing basketball, etc. The freestyle is perfect for them, the motto "Wear something" suits us well.

Hope they have a great trip.

Arlene

We have done the Dawn with our 2 grandaughters and we are takin them again this year, in August.

They loved it and can't wait to go again.

We did Disney with them, last summer and that was also fabulous.

Just have fun.

Archived