Sea Life Park in PV

arosen2001

Hi, we'll be in Puerto Vallarta this July while on the Disney Magic. I saw a couple comments about the Sea Life Park on Cruise Critic that sounded positive but several people on Trip Advisor said that the floor was sticky, they felt rushed during the dolphin experience, and the park was in disrepair (however the most recent post was a little more than a year old). We also have a reservation with the other dolphin encounter company in PV through Disney Cruise but it's a lot more expensive. Has anyone been there in the last six or so months that can add a little more insight? Which should we do?

Also, we have two kids and have no idea what to do with them in Cabo (not really interested in the beaches there). Any family-friendly suggestions woulb be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sorry, I just realized that I forgot to specify that my earlier post as a question.

Has anyone been to Sea Life Park in the last year? Is it comparable to the other dolphin experience or not as good? Also, I heard that the water park needed some updating just over a year ago. Does anyone know if they've improved it yet?

Thanks!

I have been to both dolphin swims in puerto vallarta. I liked the sea park one better, because you get closer, more personal interaction with the dolphins and they have a water park that you can use when you are done with the dolphin swim.

ncracken, you didn't mention how long ago you went to Sealife Park. My family and I have reservations for June 12th. Any tips you can give? Do they sell food? How long did it take to get there from the port? Did you stay there all day?

Hi Arosen 2001,

I will definitely let you know how it goes. My husband and 8 year old son are doing the Dolphin Royal Swim. My 3 year old daughter and I are doing the Dolphin Encounter. We are VERY excited. This is our first cruise and dolphin trip.

I was at the Sea Life Park in April. We did the sea lion experience. The sea lion and dolphin experiences include the water park admission. The dolphin experiences seem to be much more popular than the sea lions. Overall, the park is older. It was clean and well-tended. The locker room areas (near the dolphin/sea lion encounters) are really dated with old-style lockers, .....

However, the water park area seemed very clean. Food and beverages are available. Food choices run from burgers to more traditional Mexican fare. Water, soda and beer were available to drink. There is a small gift shop as well. Nothing too elaborate, though.

The water park has a kid's area for the younger kids as well as a variety of slides for the older kids. There is also a pool area and a lazy river to float around.

We didn't attend any of the animal shows, so I can't really talk about those.

In PV, we went to the Krystal after the Sea Life Park for massages. Cruise passengers can use the facilities (bring your own towel), plus massages are a great deal. Depending on the ages of your kids, that may be possible. Although if you aren't getting a massage, the Sea Life Park would offer more for the kids.

In Cabo, the water taxis might work for your family. However, if you have small children, you might want to take a organized water tour on a larger boat. We weren't at Medano Beach except to catch a water taxi. There were some sections that were more "adult" (shake your booty contests, ....). But there also seemed to be areas that were not so rowdy

DId you book the massage ahead of time or do you just show up?

In PV, we went to the Krystal after the Sea Life Park for massages. Cruise passengers can use the facilities (bring your own towel), plus massages are a great deal. Depending on the ages of your kids, that may be possible. Although if you aren't getting a massage, the Sea Life Park would offer more for the kids.

In Cabo, the water taxis might work for your family. However, if you have small children, you might want to take a organized water tour on a larger boat. We weren't at Medano Beach except to catch a water taxi. There were some sections that were more "adult" (shake your booty contests, ....). But there also seemed to be areas that were not so rowdy

Hi just off the Vision of the Seas our last stop was PV and DH and our four children all did the Royal Dolphin Swim. The price was $149 for either children or adults. If you go to the website and click on the promotions tab they have a couple of specials, basically we saved 5% because we had 6 in our group 10 or more is 10% off but you have to all do the same program on the same day. It was by far our most expensive day in PV but we enjoyed it overall despite one glitch. Here is a brief review:

Taxis from the pier to the park wanted $7 a person (one way) so factor this in if you book on your own. We payed $40 for the six of us each way but didn't have the luxury of bargaining much since we had forgotten about the time difference and only had 30 minutes to get to the park, the drive itself in good traffic is about 20 minutes. Vans were available that had seating for 10 but seatbelts for only 6. On the way back we took two taxis for the same cost.

The park was very clean and their were few people there, no lines no crowds. About 40 people total waiting to the dolphins when we were but they all had different packages and went to different sides of the pool area for orientation. 10 people total in our group. They started with having everyone change, lockers with keys were provided, yes they were old but they did the job and no additional charge. We had money, cameras all the tourist essentials and it was not a problem you take the key with you on a little rope and only the people also doing tours and the staff are in that area of the park, so we felt comfortable.

The trainer was not friendly just matter of fact, "sit on the edge of the pool"

"get in and stand on the side" "you and you on the end swim out to the middle of the pool" needless to say the couple who first swam out were nervous and confused no one told them what to do (you were expected to have learned it all during your brief video orientation) they were not sure what to expect, it was nerve racking for all in our group. Of course the fact that they were dolphins and that it was swimming pool made it better but an introduction, reminders and explanation would have been great. One person immediately did the dolphin tow and then the dolphins were sent back to do the foot push. As they swam out to the middle of the pool the rest of us were getting dolphin kisses and lots of pictures taken by our personal paparazzi a video was also shot of our group. There was no build up as in first a kiss and handshake, now hold and pet ok now the big tricks. It was whatever order you were in line and all done to maximize time. Our trainer (I am not sure of her name but someone told me later it was Beatriz) was short, curt, cold, and completely disinterested in human beings. She treated us as though we were a nuisance and barked orders at us. Of course if the dolphin did not perform perfectly it was our fault and she let us know yelling louder across the pool "feet straight arms out, don't do this don't do that" Ok all in all it worked and we all got to experience the magic of dolphins which did make up for the lousy order barking from edge of the pool. The dolphins were fantastic and we loved the experience.

However our youngest daughter was a bit unsure of the “foot pus” she balked a bit and looked scared, rather than reassure her the trainer just moved past her giving other people turns. When she had not had an opportunity to do it and the trainer said we were done, I asked and was told "ok go" she asked if her dad could swim to the middle of the pool with her so she did not have to go alone (everyone else had waited in pairs) the trainer said "no if you want to do it you go, he cannot go". Our daughter was very upset and would not go.

We started to leave the pool area when I noticed a gentleman who also worked at the pool speaking to our trainer. Then because I speak Spanish I heard the trainer tell the man that we were trying to force our daughter to do the foot push. I immediately went up to both of them and explained the situation from our point of view. Basically letting them know that 1) the trainer had not once tried to reassure or encourage her to try it. 2) the trainer yelling orders at participants had intimidated many people especially our children 3)the trainer had not allowed DH to accompany DD out into the water to wait for the push. This made no sense since it would not take any extra time or effort for the staff or the dolphins.

The trainer began to argue with me saying that we were forcing her, I explained to the gentleman (her supervisor) that this was untrue and that our daughter had willingly done the dorsal tow which requires a higher level of active participation, other people in our group who were exiting the pool walked by saying "good for you" and other supportive comments. The man called out another supervisor and I explained that after spending over 800 dollars on tickets all we wanted was a good experience for our kids and that a little more patience was in order when dealing with children or reluctant guests. They agreed (although the trainer never did) and they offered to allow my daughter back into the pool with a new trainer and allow her to experience the foot push or an alternate activity such as a repeat dorsal tow. We agreed and they were very nice and helpful sending out a new photographer and getting life vests for all of our family so we could sit on the edge of the pool and watch her interact with the dolphins. It went well and I felt much better afterwards although my memories of arguing and crying in front of the staff did dim our day somewhat.

So my advice is that if anyone in your group is the least bit hesitant or fearful of the interactions with the dolphins choose a program other than royal swim or if they are very hesitant perhaps just have them observe rather than participate.

We noticed that the dolphin swim adventure was also quite fun and only cost 99 dollars you got basically the same thing only with one dolphin instead of two. So the foot push was on a swim board with one dolphin pushing and the dolphin tow was like riding a dolphin rather than being pulled by two (which incidentally do not always line up evenly and can lead to a strong tail whacking against your legs). The amount of time in the water was the same (probably due to a larger group size) but the quality seemed to be just as good or better and like I said probably easier for those who are a bit unsure. I also heard to ladies in the group that had gone ahead of us discussing the same thing and commenting on how one experience was significantly less money and yet just as good as the other.

Cameras are not allowed and they do all of their own pictures, very high quality beautiful prints that cost $14.00 each or if you buy 3 or more they are $11.00 each. They are about 6x8. They take one of you kissing the dolphin, one of the dolphin kissing you, one of the foot push, one of the dorsal tow, one of the dolphin petting (two people in this pic) so at least 5 of each person. We wanted them all so they discounted the price when we were done we had 26 pictures and the DVD for $255. The DVD is $52 and it is set to music (probably so you can’t hear the trainer rudely yelling orders LOL) and it done quite well with slow motion and other special effects.

The food is excellent quality we ate at the burger hut style area although there is an open air style sit down restaurant as well. The burgers were great and the pizza was good too and excellent bargain for the price since each meal was between 6-8 dollars and included fries and a soda.

We missed the dolphin show (only one a day) since we had just sat down to eat. We spent the rest of the day on the water slides and in the pools and had a good time the price of admission was included with the dolphin tickets. The slides felt safe and we were amazed and impressed by how clean it was and all in good repair. One main walking area leads to all of the slides they are just off of different towers, instead of stairs you walk up vertical walkways covered with fake grass which makes it slip resistant and easy for even the little ones to pace themselves. Of the twelve rides three were closed but we knew this up front since it was posted when we first came in.

Overall a good day and a good experience, would not do it again mainly do to the cost and the fact that it took up our whole day in PV. A little more patience on the trainers part and it could be a totally different review so hopefully you get someone who has people skills along with dolphin skills. If not talk to the supervisors (most of the staff spoke English) we were impressed by how well they listened and seemed to care and were willing to make it up to us and make it a positive experience. I took some pictures of the park as well so if you would like me to send them to you email me at bluegrasshopper@sbcglobal.net , have fun and enjoy your cruise.

Hi just off the Vision of the Seas our last stop was PV and DH and our four children all did the Royal Dolphin Swim. The price was $149 for either children or adults. If you go to the website and click on the promotions tab they have a couple of specials, basically we saved 5% because we had 6 in our group 10 or more is 10% off but you have to all do the same program on the same day. It was by far our most expensive day in PV but we enjoyed it overall despite one glitch. Here is a brief review:

Taxis from the pier to the park wanted $7 a person (one way) so factor this in if you book on your own. We payed $40 for the six of us each way but didn't have the luxury of bargaining much since we had forgotten about the time difference and only had 30 minutes to get to the park, the drive itself in good traffic is about 20 minutes. Vans were available that had seating for 10 but seatbelts for only 6. On the way back we took two taxis for the same cost.

The park was very clean and their were few people there, no lines no crowds. About 40 people total waiting to the dolphins when we were but they all had different packages and went to different sides of the pool area for orientation. 10 people total in our group. They started with having everyone change, lockers with keys were provided, yes they were old but they did the job and no additional charge. We had money, cameras all the tourist essentials and it was not a problem you take the key with you on a little rope and only the people also doing tours and the staff are in that area of the park, so we felt comfortable.

The trainer was not friendly just matter of fact, "sit on the edge of the pool"

"get in and stand on the side" "you and you on the end swim out to the middle of the pool" needless to say the couple who first swam out were nervous and confused no one told them what to do (you were expected to have learned it all during your brief video orientation) they were not sure what to expect, it was nerve racking for all in our group. Of course the fact that they were dolphins and that it was swimming pool made it better but an introduction, reminders and explanation would have been great. One person immediately did the dolphin tow and then the dolphins were sent back to do the foot push. As they swam out to the middle of the pool the rest of us were getting dolphin kisses and lots of pictures taken by our personal paparazzi a video was also shot of our group. There was no build up as in first a kiss and handshake, now hold and pet ok now the big tricks. It was whatever order you were in line and all done to maximize time. Our trainer (I am not sure of her name but someone told me later it was Beatriz) was short, curt, cold, and completely disinterested in human beings. She treated us as though we were a nuisance and barked orders at us. Of course if the dolphin did not perform perfectly it was our fault and she let us know yelling louder across the pool "feet straight arms out, don't do this don't do that" Ok all in all it worked and we all got to experience the magic of dolphins which did make up for the lousy order barking from edge of the pool. The dolphins were fantastic and we loved the experience.

However our youngest daughter was a bit unsure of the “foot pus” she balked a bit and looked scared, rather than reassure her the trainer just moved past her giving other people turns. When she had not had an opportunity to do it and the trainer said we were done, I asked and was told "ok go" she asked if her dad could swim to the middle of the pool with her so she did not have to go alone (everyone else had waited in pairs) the trainer said "no if you want to do it you go, he cannot go". Our daughter was very upset and would not go.

We started to leave the pool area when I noticed a gentleman who also worked at the pool speaking to our trainer. Then because I speak Spanish I heard the trainer tell the man that we were trying to force our daughter to do the foot push. I immediately went up to both of them and explained the situation from our point of view. Basically letting them know that 1) the trainer had not once tried to reassure or encourage her to try it. 2) the trainer yelling orders at participants had intimidated many people especially our children 3)the trainer had not allowed DH to accompany DD out into the water to wait for the push. This made no sense since it would not take any extra time or effort for the staff or the dolphins.

The trainer began to argue with me saying that we were forcing her, I explained to the gentleman (her supervisor) that this was untrue and that our daughter had willingly done the dorsal tow which requires a higher level of active participation, other people in our group who were exiting the pool walked by saying "good for you" and other supportive comments. The man called out another supervisor and I explained that after spending over 800 dollars on tickets all we wanted was a good experience for our kids and that a little more patience was in order when dealing with children or reluctant guests. They agreed (although the trainer never did) and they offered to allow my daughter back into the pool with a new trainer and allow her to experience the foot push or an alternate activity such as a repeat dorsal tow. We agreed and they were very nice and helpful sending out a new photographer and getting life vests for all of our family so we could sit on the edge of the pool and watch her interact with the dolphins. It went well and I felt much better afterwards although my memories of arguing and crying in front of the staff did dim our day somewhat.

So my advice is that if anyone in your group is the least bit hesitant or fearful of the interactions with the dolphins choose a program other than royal swim or if they are very hesitant perhaps just have them observe rather than participate.

We noticed that the dolphin swim adventure was also quite fun and only cost 99 dollars you got basically the same thing only with one dolphin instead of two. So the foot push was on a swim board with one dolphin pushing and the dolphin tow was like riding a dolphin rather than being pulled by two (which incidentally do not always line up evenly and can lead to a strong tail whacking against your legs). The amount of time in the water was the same (probably due to a larger group size) but the quality seemed to be just as good or better and like I said probably easier for those who are a bit unsure. I also heard to ladies in the group that had gone ahead of us discussing the same thing and commenting on how one experience was significantly less money and yet just as good as the other.

Cameras are not allowed and they do all of their own pictures, very high quality beautiful prints that cost $14.00 each or if you buy 3 or more they are $11.00 each. They are about 6x8. They take one of you kissing the dolphin, one of the dolphin kissing you, one of the foot push, one of the dorsal tow, one of the dolphin petting (two people in this pic) so at least 5 of each person. We wanted them all so they discounted the price when we were done we had 26 pictures and the DVD for $255. The DVD is $52 and it is set to music (probably so you can’t hear the trainer rudely yelling orders LOL) and it done quite well with slow motion and other special effects.

The food is excellent quality we ate at the burger hut style area although there is an open air style sit down restaurant as well. The burgers were great and the pizza was good too and excellent bargain for the price since each meal was between 6-8 dollars and included fries and a soda.

We missed the dolphin show (only one a day) since we had just sat down to eat. We spent the rest of the day on the water slides and in the pools and had a good time the price of admission was included with the dolphin tickets. The slides felt safe and we were amazed and impressed by how clean it was and all in good repair. One main walking area leads to all of the slides they are just off of different towers, instead of stairs you walk up vertical walkways covered with fake grass which makes it slip resistant and easy for even the little ones to pace themselves. Of the twelve rides three were closed but we knew this up front since it was posted when we first came in.

Overall a good day and a good experience, would not do it again mainly do to the cost and the fact that it took up our whole day in PV. A little more patience on the trainers part and it could be a totally different review so hopefully you get someone who has people skills along with dolphin skills. If not talk to the supervisors (most of the staff spoke English) we were impressed by how well they listened and seemed to care and were willing to make it up to us and make it a positive experience. I took some pictures of the park as well so if you would like me to send them to you email me at bluegrasshopper@sbcglobal.net , have fun and enjoy your cruise.

DId you book the massage ahead of time or do you just show up?

We had prebooked via email. The massages are popular and seemed busy, but there were people walking around with sandwich boards as advertisement, so it may be possible to just walk in.

Maybe consider the dolphin swim at Cabo Dolphin Center. I had a great time and we were one on one with our dolphin and had plenty of time with each thing they had us do. Groups of 6 to 8, we had 7 in our group. It is pricey but worth every penny. Pictures were also more than described by bluegrasshopper. I think ours were $19 each for the 6x8 photos and now I regret I didn't get more. I bought 3 and missed out on some other pics that turned out really good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Arosen 2001,

As promised, I'm letting you know how our trip went. As Bluegrasshopper mentioned, the park was quite clean and not crowded. Unlike bluegrasshopper, we had a wonderful experience with our trainers.

My 3 year old daughter and I did the Dolphin Encounter. You basically get to pet a dolphin, kiss it, and hold its fin (all photo ops!). The trainer explained the dolphins tail, etc and had the dolphin do some tricks. We were in the water quite a while. It cost $69 for me and my daughter was free (with a paying adult).

My 8 year old son and husband did the Royal Dolphin Swim. They had a blast. They loved the foot push and the dorsal tow.

We bought the pictures and the video for all of us. It is kind of expensive (bluegrasshopper mentioned the cost) but it is SO worth it when you get home!

The waterpark was fun. The have an area for little kids (small slides with shallow water), a lazy river that you can float on with tubes and the big kid slides. There is one slide that my son called the "toilet bowl." That one is fun but you hit your head pretty hard when you come off the slide into the "bowl." You may want to watch someone else go before you decide to do it.

There were quite a few BIG wasps on the ground so make sure you've got your flip-flops on. A lady in our group got stung on the foot.

Also, don't forget towels. We did not bring any from the ship and we did not want to pay the $22 for the gift shop towels (although they were very nice). We just drip-dried!

It cost us $28 for the taxi ride from the ship ($7 each) and only $20 for the taxi ride back to the ship. The taxi we took back to the ship couldn't get into the gated area where the ship was (I guess only certain taxi companies have the privelege). Anyway, we had a short walk back in. Not a huge deal but we were walking next to a really busy road with drivers going very fast and very close to us. Kinda scary with a 3 year old.

It was the best part of our trip. Have a wonderful time!

Kirby Cruiser, thank you for the review of Sea Life Park. My sister and I are planning to go there next month. We are middle aged teenagers (40 and 50 lol). We want to float on the lazy river and see some of the shows. Would it be worth it for us to spend half to 2/3's of the day at the park and the rest walking around PV? Is there shopping or a marketplace in town?

Funat55,

We got to the park around 10:00 and left around 3:00. We didn't see the dolphin show or the sea lion show...not sure why..we just didn't. My son would've stayed longer. Hubby and I were ready to get back.

There were some small shops within walking distance from the area that the taxi dropped us off. In fact, there was a Wal-Mart and a Sam's Club across the street. We didn't venture around---my 3 year was tired. The cruise director told us that if you decide the cross the street in Mexico, you must remember that the red lights are a "suggestion, not a requirement". :)

Archived