Black Watch : A Good or Bad Ship

EJNutz

I am planning on cruising on Black Watch next year and would be interested to hear what you all think of Black Watch, both her bad and good points (I am hoping they are mainly good:D)

What I liked...

The staff, especially the non Europeans, although the Norwegian officers were good too.

The food, the main restaurant was great, and the buffet at lunchtimes was well run. The staff only let you in once they had a table for you, no wandering around!

The ship, human scale. Great amounts of deck.

The passengers, although being in our 30s we never felt out of place, although we were young (but not the youngest!)

Cabins, we had portholes so bottom 2 decks, perfect, we only needed it to sleep and change in etc.

The observatory bar, wonderful views, and never that busy.

What I didn't like...

Smoking, the Pipers Bar? next to the show lounge, much to smokey and it does drift, but not as bad as some would have you think.

Shows, maybe I was too young! The magician had better jokes than the comedian... The house band was the best.

Afternoon tea, a bun fight, much too crowded.

hope that helps

Guest Anorak33
What I liked...

The staff, especially the non Europeans, although the Norwegian officers were good too.

The food, the main restaurant was great, and the buffet at lunchtimes was well run. The staff only let you in once they had a table for you, no wandering around!

The ship, human scale. Great amounts of deck.

The passengers, although being in our 30s we never felt out of place, although we were young (but not the youngest!)

Cabins, we had portholes so bottom 2 decks, perfect, we only needed it to sleep and change in etc.

The observatory bar, wonderful views, and never that busy.

What I didn't like...

Smoking, the Pipers Bar? next to the show lounge, much to smokey and it does drift, but not as bad as some would have you think.

Shows, maybe I was too young! The magician had better jokes than the comedian... The house band was the best.

Afternoon tea, a bun fight, much too crowded.

hope that helps

Hi, I would generally agree with the above post except I would not stereotype the crew by racial profiles, I don't think its even legal to do that now, maybe its legally OK in international waters but that doesn't make it right to be racist.

Smoking - If you think its "bad" on FO you should try an MSC or Costa ship. Much worse, and people smoke where they are not allowed to. Hundreds of them!

Anyway if you didn't like the shows why go near the showlounge where the smoke was drifting from the bar?

I have sailed on the "Black Watch" more than dozen times since she came to Fred. Olsen in 1996. The most recent cruise was in early 2008 on a sector of her world cruise. She is a delightful ship. She is just the right size with and excellent passenger/space ratio. The ship has some lovely public rooms with the Observatory the best. The cabins vary but are all of reasonable size and pretty comfortable. The recent installation of tea/coffee making facilities in the cabins is a big improvement. The suites are first rate. It is a real ship, not a floating block of flats!

The officers are mainly Scandinavian and I have always found then most approachable and friendly. The staff (dining room / bar stewards/ cabin stewardesses) are a mixture of Philipino / Thai / Malaysians / Indian and I find them cheerful, obliging and pleasant. The entertainment staff are mainly European. You are treated as an old friend when you return to the ship. It is all very personal.

The food is excellent and the choices of wine more than acceptable.

Service in the dining rooms is very good.

Previous cruises:

Fred. Olsen x 22

Cunard x 1

P&O x 2

Anchor Line (long defunct) x 1

The weakest point for me is the evening entertainment. Some of the cabaret acts are very poor indeed. When they have them on board some of the classical musicians are good value. The line attracts some very interesting lecturers. The port lectures are good and are not merely a sales line for the local shops!

Like others I find smoking is the biggest problem. If only they could install decent ventillation in the Pipers Bar it would stop the drift of smoke into the nearby sections of the ship. Roll on no-smoking ships.

In my view it is a fine ship and excellent for both short and long distance cruising.

I am sure you will enjoy a great cruise.

Hi, I would generally agree with the above post except I would not stereotype the crew by racial profiles, I don't think its even legal to do that now, maybe its legally OK in international waters but that doesn't make it right to be racist.

Smoking - If you think its "bad" on FO you should try an MSC or Costa ship. Much worse, and people smoke where they are not allowed to. Hundreds of them!

Anyway if you didn't like the shows why go near the showlounge where the smoke was drifting from the bar?

Wow, racist. Well that's a first!.

I don't care about MSC or Costa, nor possibly does the OP. He asked about Black Watch, a Fred Olsen ship on the FO board. What MSC & Costa are like is irrelevant.

You have to go to the shows to discover whether you like them…

Did you get out of bed on the wrong side?

I have to agree I found the racist comment a bit strong.

By definition a racist is

a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

Wow, this is quite intresting considering that neither of you know what race I am or where I'm from! You also shoot yourself in the foot with that quote, as I was critiscing the European staff and praising the Asian staff, and I am infact a white european.

To be perfectly honest I find your accusations of racism strong, infact offensive.

If you look at the first line of my post I said that the racist comment was strong. I was in fact standing up for you not attacking you. I did not call you a racist.

If you look at the first line of my post I said that the racist comment was strong. I was in fact standing up for you not attacking you. I did not call you a racist.

My apologies EJ, I misunderstood your meaning. Thanks.

Archived