Seabourn ?? Fuel surcharge

Here in the Uk petrol/gas has risen to over £5 per gallon.

Our brother has recently been on holiday in Florida. He says that gas has gone up but no where near the increase here in England.

British Airways-are for short haul flights raising the surcharge to around £30 and for long haul flights ( over 9 hours ) from £30 to £109 pounds with further increases inevitable.They recently announced profits of over £30 M.

I wonder when/if Seabourn will put prices up ?

Kind regards,

Tony

Actually it is US$7.00 per day per person with a maximum charge of US$98 per person per cruise (so it is $98 for a 14 day, 28 day or longer cruise).

Seabourn does not charge by the cabin/suite, which would penalize solo passengers.

Actually it is US$7.00 per day per person with a maximum charge of US$98 per person per cruise (so it is $98 for a 14 day, 28 day or longer cruise).

Seabourn does not charge by the cabin/suite, which would penalize solo passengers.

If thats the case, I somehow got away cheap... We were charged $140 total for the fuel surcharge on our 14 day Dec cruise. That'd be $5 per person per day. At $7 per person per day we would be at $196.

Host Dan

Here is the article from the "news" section ... April 21 it was.

Carnival Increases Fuel SupplementCarnival made headlines last week for voluntarily agreeing to refund the fuel charges levied on guests who'd booked their cruise prior to the implementation of the fuel charge policy. What the line neglected to mention then was its plans to up the surcharge on new bookings.

Effective for all new bookings made on or after April 21, Carnival's fuel surcharge will increase from $5 to $7 per person per day, based on double occupancy. In addition, a fuel supplement of $2 per person per day will apply to third, fourth and fifth guests in a cabin. Total fuel charges are not to exceed $98 per person per voyage for the first two passengers and $28 per person per voyage for any other passengers sharing the cabin. The fee increase applies to six of the Carnival Corporation's cruise lines: Carnival, Holland America, Princess, Costa, Cunard and Seabourn.

In early March, Royal Caribbean was the first company to voluntarily remove fuel surcharges on guests who'd booked cruises without being informed of the new fees. The change in policy was due to pressure by the Florida Attorney General's Office, which had been investigating the fuel surcharges. At the end of last month, the Carnival Corporation followed Royal Caribbean's lead and reversed its charges as well. At that time, no announcement was made that the line intended to raise the fees on future bookings.

The price hike actually does not make Carnival's fuel surcharge the most expensive in the industry -- Cruise West charges $12 per person per day. However, Carnival can no longer be counted among the cruise lines with the lowest fuel taxes -- that territory now belongs to Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara. Disney is still one of the only major cruise lines to not charge a fuel supplement.

--by Erica Silverstein, Associate Editor

I have just booked a cruise on the Legend for January 2010 and was informed that the prices in the 2009-10 brochure (UK edition) already included the fuel surcharge. I'll worry about the additional flight costs nearer the time!

Dave

• 2 months later...

Will fuel surcharges go down as well?

I think so. When my TA emailed to tell me that the final payment for this November's fall Legend crossing was "paid in full," she said that Seabourn removed the fuel supplement charge and that my final payment was reduced accordingly.

A friend of mine theorized today that one reason for the decrease in oil prices may be due to China's taking all automobiles off the road in Beijing to control pollution during the Olympics. When the driving populace in Beijing (which is probably huge) is allowed to drive again post-Olympics, China's oil demand will rise; ergo, higher oil prices? It's an interesting thought, and as good an explanation as any for the recent drop.

Winnie

A friend of mine theorized today that one reason for the decrease in oil prices may be due to China's taking all automobiles off the road in Beijing to control pollution during the Olympics. When the driving populace in Beijing (which is probably huge) is allowed to drive again post-Olympics, China's oil demand will rise; ergo, higher oil prices? It's an interesting thought, and as good an explanation as any for the recent drop.

Winnie

I wouldn't take any financial advice from this friend if I were you.And don't sign anything if they ask you to. :)

My TA told me that if we booked with Seaborun today for a fall cruise that the fuel surcharge is now $15 per person per day or $30 per cabin. Wow! Fortunately we booked last winter and are only paying $5 per person per day.

Archived