Photo Travelogue - "The Legendary Danube" on the Amacello

TwoFortwo

Randy---is a bath/shower gel/cream/liquid provided? Thanks, Jinn

I was on the Amacello, Prague to Budapest, in late April and there is a liquid shower gel provided. It is blue in color and very, very refreshing.

This was my first river cruise after many ocean ones, I highly recommend it.

We didn't have a formal ceremony but our cruise director had us all up on the upper deck ... most of us brought our glasses of wine up there ... and we got a nice picture. Too bad you didn't have a chance for a celebration ...

You will cross the continental divide a few hours after you board the ship and it sails from Nuremburg, and most of the passengers are on the sundeck or in the lounge, excited to be on the ship and to watch as the ship transits through the locks. Maddy, our cruise director, was using the ship's PA system to explain what we were seeing, but nobody proposed a toast to the continental divide. If you do, maybe you'll start a new tradition!

Many of the cruise directors have their own special traditions. Maddy's is the "Ghost Walk" in Linz, where we were urged to put on our "bathtub robes" (as Maddy termed them) at 11PM or so and walk a few blocks to the main square. It was great fun to see the reaction of the people who were out at that hour, particularly a group of Japanese who brought out their cameras and took our picture. We all had a beer at a restaurant that was open late and got back to the ship about 5 minutes late. Getting back to the ship after the scheduled sailing time is normally a very bad idea, but we weren't concerned that it would leave without its cruise director.

My apologies to Jinn for an incorrect answer about the shower gel. I should have said that we didn't happen to notice. Thanks for the correction.

Randy

Hi Robyn France and NYFeds, when are you travelling? We are on the “Sound of Music” Amsterdam to Istanbul, departing 2 August. Certainly like the idea of celebrating our “Crossing of the Continental Divide” with a toast. (As long as no one gets thrown into the water like the Crossing the Equator ceremony). Will let you know how it goes. Our itinerary is rather lacking in detail, so thanks Randy for clearing up the timing of it. Looks like we are In Nuremberg in the morning and then it is the Continental Divide in the afternoon. Saw your “ghost” pictures, what a hoot!

Hi Emma,

We are on the same sailing as Robyn. Sorry we won't be able to share in that toast with you, too.

Wishing you a wonderful time on your cruise!

Very cute story about wandering into town in robes.

Randy,

My husband and I are looking into the AMA Amalegro for a Holland Tulip Time cruise. I saw you mentioned that the windows on the category E rooms were different. Can you elaborate on that a little? We're definitely trying to do this on a budget and were heavily considering those rooms. If we can't see out of the windows, I don't know if it would be worth it.

I am now going to drool over your pictures. This will be my first time in Europe, and even though the trip is about 10 months away I'm counting down the days.

Brandee

Brandee,

On the Amalegro, the Category E cabins are on the Piano Deck, the lowest of the 3 cabin decks. The windows in those rooms can't be opened and are just above the waterline of the ship. You can see out the windows, but you won't have much of a view when the ship is cruising, and if you are on the dock side when the ship is docked you will have a nice view of the side of the dock.

On the Piano Deck, the Category E cabins are in the center of the deck, with the crew cabins aft behind a door, and the Category D cabins forward. The difference between the E and D categories is that the E cabins are closer to the engine room and may get a bit more vibration when the ship is cruising. There is a circular staircase up one deck and then a standard staircase up half a deck to the lobby.

Except for the windows, the Category E and D rooms are identical to the standard rooms on the upper decks. My recollection is that the Category E and D rooms get reserved first, so it's best not to wait too long.

Our room was on the top cabin deck, but we spent very little time there except while we were sleeping, showering, or getting dressed. We did enjoy having the sliding doors open while we were sleeping, but during the Tulip Time cruises it might be a bit cool and in the late summer it might be a bit warm for that.

Randy

Hi Robyn & NYFeds. We get back after you depart, so my promised trip review isn't going to be of much use to you, alas. However will post while travelling (if we can!) if there is anything which you might need to know about. Have a great trip and don't forget to toast the Continental Divide.

Hi Randy,

I have enjoyed your photos so much--they have really provided much entertainment now as we wait another 7 weeks to depart on the Amacello. I did a little painting--watercolor and pen and ink of your photo of the Basilica at Maria Taferl taken from the ship--which I would like to dedicate to you and your thoughtful sharing of photos. You can see it here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/RobynFrance/DanubeRiverCruise

If you would like to have a card with a copy of the painting, I would be delighted to send you one. Just let me know your email and I will get your address from u there and send u a card for your memories--many folks like to frame them. In any case, I do hope u enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed your photos.

I am not sure if this url might not be the one--if it doesn't work, pls let me know and I will do my best to figure it out.

Take care,

Robyn France:cool:

Thanks so much NYFeds--a friend of mine had just returned from a pilgrimage to that very basilica with some Austrian friends--and I thought I had remembered that Randy had a photo of it when she showed us her pictures. So I thought, here is something to get me in the mood for our trip. I always hope to sketch a bit on these trips, but the reality is unless I specifically go on an art trip, I take lots of photos and usually use them as my sources later. I just about always do a trip memory painting for our holiday card and folks seem to enjoy them and it is nice for me too.

Anyway, it won't be long now--wardrobe planning time coming up before long. Looking forward to meeting your group.

All best,

Robyn France

Hi Robyn,

Thanks so much for the painting! You're a very talented artist and it's a lovely painting. I was able to download the image with no problem, but would love to have a card to mount with the photograph, which is one of my favorites. I wish that Cruise Critic provided a way for folks to send private messages to others, like most other forums. You can send me an email at rc(at)rcole.net -- simply replace (at) with @.

If you do other sketches or paintings when you return (and I'm sure you will) I certainly hope you will post a link here.

Best regards,

Randy

• 1 month later...

Archived