need Alaskan shore excursion suggestions for family with infant

annimal

Hello, I'm taking an Alaskan cruise on RC (Serenade of the Seas) in September. I will be traveling with my parents, my sister, my husband and our son who will be 9 months old. Does anyone have suggestions for shore excursions that are good for infants? I wouldn't be surprised if we had to split up our group in some ports where there are more strenuous excursions that the others may be interested in (i.e. ziplining) and I would mill around town with the baby, but are there any suggestions for excursions that we can all enjoy and safely/comfortably bring the baby? The ports we will be visiting are Icy Strait Point, Skagway, and Juneau. Has anyone tried a floatplane trip or the dog sledding adventure with a baby? (apparently the operators say that you can just hold a baby on your lap for these types of excursions.) I've posted a thread on the Alaska board as well.

I don't know about the sledding with an infant. I did it and I'm not sure I would bring a small baby on that adventure. Also, make sure that the tour is still offered in September. On another cruise I did to Alaska, they stopped doing some of the tours, including the dog sled tour, the first week of September. I would also not recommend doing any of the plane tours with an infant. Frankly, I just don't think they are at all infant friendly. On our RCCI cruise, they didn't allow anyone under age 5 on most of those air tours.

In Juneau, I highly recommend the whale watching tours. The tour boats are bigger, they can easily accommodate a stroller and it's a fun tour.

The most popular tour in Skagway is the White Pass Railway tour. It's fun, family friendly and the scenery is absolutely beautiful. Make sure to book that one early because it's so popular and it sells out fast.

We did a floatplane last week with our son, whose first birthday was just a few days later. I wore him in an Ergo carrier on my front so he was secured. We brought our own headphones for him (Peltor brand) and he did great. He enjoyed looking out the windows and even napped for awhile on my chest. We did ours in ketchikan, but I don't think you're going there.

Our friends took their almost two-year-old on a floatplane in Juneau. It went to Taku Lodge, where they had a salmon bake and saw bears. They absolutely raved about it.

In Juneau, we took our son up the Mt. Roberts Tram and on the bus to Mendenhall Glacier. Both worked out well and were a lot of fun.

I didn't go to ISP or Skagway so I don't have recommendations.

Archived