Alaska Cruisetour

sltb47

The Alaska Cruisetour answer book does not state the size of the luggage that goes with you on the land part of the tour. Can anyone recommend the best size luggage to pack for the land tour?

Thanks,

The Alaska Cruisetour answer book does not state the size of the luggage that goes with you on the land part of the tour. Can anyone recommend the best size luggage to pack for the land tour?

Thanks,

I haven't done Princess, but on HAL I had a 29" on wheels and a carry-on that went on the coach with us for the land portion, until we got to Fairbanks. We were given purple tags to put on the large suitcase that would be taken to Anchorage, and told to only take our carry-on on the train with us to Denali for overnight there. I was so worried our suitcases would be missing, but upon arrival at the Hilton in Anchorage our suitcases were in our rooms.

Hopefully someone that has done Princess will respond and have an answer for you on how Princess does the luggage.

We went last August on the Coral. We used one 21" for the land tour and we each had a back pack for the day and train. (they were perfect for the train to the boat). We had 27" cases checked through for the boat.I got the backpacks at a very good price at TJ Maxx with the thought I would donate them to Goodwill when we came home - we are still using them. As you might want to have layers on for the day and want to take some off if it gets warm a back pack is perfect. Also had plenty of room for cameras, binoculars and other stuff.

Enjoy.

Thanks,

We did our Princess land tour in 2005 and as mentioned, our large bag was sent ahead and we kept a regular sized carry-on each on the land portion. Think airline regulation. They are collected from outside you hotel room each morning and transported to the next hotel. We kept a backpack and a smaller carry-on to take on the train with us. There is very little storage room on the train and basically you will find that it's under your table onboard so for your own comfort level you'll want it to be small.

I hope I was of some help here. We loved our land tour BTW.;)

The luggage you take with you on the cruise can go with you on the train. According to our cruise documents (we leave 7/1 for a land first), you are allowed one "hand-carried tote 17x14x4". Hope this helps. You will get all the information in your pre-cruise packet.

We just returned from a cruisetour, land tour first. Keep in mind that most travelers dress casually for the land portion - no dress clothes. There's no size limitations on the luggage. As mentioned previously, Princess hauls all the luggage from hotel to hotel. The traveler puts the luggage outside the room in the morning. Our luggage was always in our room when we arrived to next destination.

We stressed a little about the luggage situation prior to the trip but were put at ease when our luggage was smoothly transported to each location.

As Chief Paul mentioned, there are essentially no restrictions on the luggage that the Princess Luggage Fairies haul around for you on the land tour. I last did a land tour with one of those enormous duffle bags on wheels, and they very efficiently delivered it to each and every lodge room.

As for the carry-on luggage that you keep with you during the day on the trains and buses… The previously posted size dimensions really must be followed if you don’t want to get stuck holding the bag on your lap. Most of the storage spaces require a very thin bag. You might want make sure that your carry-on is big enough to hold pajamas and some toiletries, however. Some of the luggage pickups happen reaaaallly early in the morning.

And just to be clear - on most tours you're given an option to have "cruise baggage" sent totally ahead and you never see it while you're on the land. Then you have your land luggage that gets toted on the baggage trucks separately from you on the land portion. And then carry-on which is very small and needs to fit those size requirements, especially for the train.

So, think ahead when packing, and put all your formalwear / cruise only stuff in the 'cruise baggage' case. Then less hassle for you!

Your pre-cruise packet will give you the details for your specific tour, as mentioned.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

We were on a May 24th northbound Cruisetour on Princess. Overall, we took 2 Large suitcases (ones that you can max out the 50lb airline weight limit pretty easily), 2 carry-on suitcases and 2 backpacks on the trip (overpacked as usual!). For the land-tour, we had one of the large suitcases and one of the carry-on size suitcases sent on for the next stop tagged with the "Travel with Me" tags provided (they we're always in the room when we got there) and the backpacks on the train with us. They actually pick up the luggage from you early and send it ahead on a truck (it is not on the train with you). Although the brochure indicated the size of the carry-on should not be larger than 17x14x4, there was definately more than 4" in height available on the train (probably more like 8 to 12") under the seat - so our fully loaded backpacks fit easily.

Archived