Need help re fjord cruising

Thankx very much Meg for your info. I'm going to have to re-think the clothing definitely as I don't have a warm coat to get me through those kinda temperatures, I'm thinking maybe I need goretex?

Your photos are glorious, many look like postcards....seeing your pics has certainly confirmed that I've booked the right itinerary.

Thankx again.

Cheers

Ging466

You can actually do a lot with layers. I would recommend a thick fleece and a wind-proof rain jacket (GoreTex or otherwise). If you wear the jacket over the fleece over a sweater, you'll be doing pretty well. I brought along a two-piece jacket that's basically a water-resistant shell over a detachable fleece lining, and I was fine. It's also very handy for traveling, because I could wear just the outer shell or just the fleece in other situations. Just be sure to bring along a warm hat and a pair of gloves, which will really make a difference (especially standing out on the deck of a moving cruise ship)!

me in 2-Piece fleece & shell jacket (over a sweater), DH in separate fleece hoodie and rain shell:

svalbardsign.jpg

I've just returned from a fjord cruise. I also was sold on going to Spitzbergen & Iceland; but my traveling companions had their heart set on the Rotterdam Scottish Highlands/Norwegian Fjords/North Cape itinerary instead. So, I went along w/ their choice. Although I missed out on those two ports; I think the extensive fjord ports made up for it. There was nothing quite as exhiliarating as sailing through those fjords. As stated above, those ports close to the southern tip of Norway, are closer to the coastline. Although much larger than the Prinsendam, the Rotterdam was not too large (like the Princess ships would be). And I also recommend timing your cruise for the latter half of June during summer solstice. The hours of daylight & the spring thaw creating those awesome waterfalls only add to the majesty of the scenery. Good luck w/ your decision.

• 2 weeks later...

The Oceania line is going to Scotland, Norway and Ireland back to London in July 2009

In Norway they go to

Alesund, Norway 9:00AM 11:00PM

Geiranger (Nordfjord), Norway 8:00AM 12:00PM

Hellesylt, Norway 1:30PM 5:00PM

The question is this enough to see of Norway and the Fjords or should I look for a more extensive \norway cruise that inc North Cape

Opinions Please

jazzyman

The Oceania line is going to Scotland, Norway and Ireland back to London in July 2009

In Norway they go to

Alesund, Norway 9:00AM 11:00PM

Geiranger (Nordfjord), Norway 8:00AM 12:00PM

Hellesylt, Norway 1:30PM 5:00PM

The question is this enough to see of Norway and the Fjords or should I look for a more extensive \norway cruise that inc North Cape

Opinions Please

jazzyman

Harvey

If you want to see Norway I would look at other cruises that do more of the the Fjords.

You know we dearly love O cruises but if Norway has the important ports for you try HAL

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?durationCode=3&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=&flexibleMonths=false&pageNumber=2&voyageCode=D939&destCode=E&dateCode=7_2009

Or Princess

http://www.princess.com/pb/itineraryDetails.do?voyageCode=T907&tourCode=&date=0609&noOfPax=2&resType=C&definition_name=

the best views of Norway are withHurtigruten Cruises

Lyn

Thanks Lyn

We have two issues we would like to continue on the O so we can get more deals later on

We also like that it leaves from London and back so we can stay over and it gives us Scotland and Ireland alos

I will check out HAL

Princess has a good one to that goes to the North Cape but is more money and larger ship

Also I do miss the O

Anyway it is a year out

This year we are going to Clevland to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

All the best to both of you

Harve

Thanks Lyn

We have two issues we would like to continue on the O so we can get more deals later on

I know what you mean ;)

We also like that it leaves from London and back so we can stay over and it gives us Scotland and Ireland alos

Princess has a good one to that goes to the North Cape but is more money and larger ship

The link I gave you for Princess is the same R ships as O

The O cruise from Dover is good also but not if you want more Norway.

Take care

Lyn

I agree w/ Lyn. If your focus is the Norwegian Fjords you can do better elsewhere. I adore "O"; & would follow them anywhere. But.....I felt my fjord cruise would be a once in a lifetime trip; & I wanted it all. HAL fit the bill perfectly for me. Most importantly, the truest & most beautiful fjord sailing (IMO) would be in the Sognefjord on your way to Flam. Over 140 miles of scenic cruising that was breathtaking. But if you have your heart set on this particular "O" itinerary, it is but a small sampling. I did not visit Alesund; but wanted to based on things I'd read. I'm going to assume that your visits to Geiranger & Hellesylt are on the same day. The fjord leading to Geiranger is moderately long; & would give you a good "fjord experience". I find it interesting that your times are split like they are. Most (as was ours) visits make a (shore excursion drop off) stop at Helleyselt for an hour in the morning; & then proceed to Geiranger for the rest of the day. I don't know if Crystal is w/in your budget; but they had a lovely itinerary (cruising right now) that was extensive Norway w/ a stop at Spitsbergen Island. Will probably have a similar itinerary in '09. Good luck w/ your decision.

• 3 weeks later...
I hope some of you can help me with this......

When cruising the fjord's which side of the ship is better ? Specifically arriving and leaving the ports?

Thanks !

I do not think it really matters

DSC00267.jpg.1c771a7f38a7e5461c453fc120cbc5c4.jpg

DSC00262.jpg.b2a734224997e37dc33e30e0213679ab.jpg

I would say that the forward or aft decks would be best. On the sides, you're basically looking at a wall of hill, which is nice but doesn't afford the same drama as the length-wise view. If you have a balcony cabin, unless it's an aft balcony, I would still recommend going out on the public decks so you can move around and get different views.

In Geirangerfjord, there are two famous waterfalls (the Seven Sisters and The Suitor), but they're at the same point in the fjord on opposite sides of the water, so to see them both, you need to either be at one end of the ship or move to switch sides.

Also, keep in mind that the fjords are dead-end roads, so you'll be headed out almost the same way you sailed in, so whatever was on one side in the morning will be on the other side at night.

Personally, my favorite way to experience the sail-out from the fjords after a busy port day is from the hot tub (preferably on the aft decks). I can sooth my hiking-weary muscles and from a lounging position, you get a nice view up the sides of the fjords without even needing to crane your neck! We tried this approach sailing out of Geiranger and met a fellow cruiser who said she was a Norwegian cruise enthusiast and has seen all the major fjords from the comfort of a hot tub!

Archived